visaveteran1

Getting Married in Kyrgyzstan

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I am an American man leaving for Kyrgyzstan to marry my Russian finacee who lives in Bishkek. After the marriage I intend on applying for a Alien Relative immigrant visa to bring her to the USA using the DCF process. Her sister and American husband did the same thing about a year ago and he was able to bring her sister to the USA in two months from applying. I thought that was a very quick process. I hope that it was not just luck that allowed them such a quick journey to the US.

I would appreciate any feedback on what I am embarking on (marrying in Kyrgyzstan) and th e DCF process after we are married (how long it takes, pitfalls, etc.)

Aslo, though she was born and raised in Kyrgyzstan, when she married her first husband she moved to Russia and now has a Russian passport, but has lived again in Kyrgyzstan for many years since her divorce. Is the Russian passport apt to be a problem when immigrating from Kyrgyzstan?

Thanks.

Jeff D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would think that she needs to still maintain a Kyrgy passport/ or some form of citizenship to go through DCF there. I could be wrong however as I'm not sure what the rules pertaining to former USSR countries are....

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Jeff, check with the office where you plan to file DCF. My husband was able to file for me in Germany, and I am not a German resident. Many countries also have a residency requirement for the USC rather than the spouse. I would suggest for you to contact the consulate in Kyrgyzstan and ask. I hope it's a positive answer for you!

Good luck! :)

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Her sister and American husband did the same thing about a year ago and he was able to bring her sister to the USA in two months from applying. I thought that was a very quick process. I hope that it was not just luck that allowed them such a quick journey to the US.

Jeff, you can help others while helping yourself! It would be good to get some firsthand information from your brother in law, because the Embassy's websites don't indicate that you can file there unless you're resident.

It also shows that all immigrant visa applications for the region go to Almaty.

http://kyrgyz.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

Immigrant Visas

The U.S. Embassy Bishkek issues only non-immigrant visas (NIVs) to those who would like to visit the United States for pleasure, business, or study

Those who would like to immigrate to the U.S. must contact the U.S. Embassy in Almaty, Kazakhstan.

http://www.usembassy.kz/consular/immediate_relative.shtml

1. File Petition

The first step in applying for an immigrant visa is for the U.S. citizen (petitioner) to file an immigrant visa petition, Form I-130.

If the American petitioner lives in the United States, the petition should be filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service office which has jurisdiction over the petitioner's residence

If the American petitioner lives in Kazakhstan, the petition may be filed with a Consular officer at the U.S. Embassy in Almaty.

The bolded part is what you need to get past---read the DCF Guide, contact the Embassy with The Question and let us know what you learn! :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Her sister and American husband did the same thing about a year ago and he was able to bring her sister to the USA in two months from applying. I thought that was a very quick process. I hope that it was not just luck that allowed them such a quick journey to the US.

Jeff, you can help others while helping yourself! It would be good to get some firsthand information from your brother in law, because the Embassy's websites don't indicate that you can file there unless you're resident.

Immigrant Visas

The U.S. Embassy Bishkek issues only non-immigrant visas (NIVs) to those who would like to visit the United States for pleasure, business, or study

Those who would like to immigrate to the U.S. must contact the U.S. Embassy in Almaty, Kazakhstan.

1. File Petition

The first step in applying for an immigrant visa is for the U.S. citizen (petitioner) to file an immigrant visa petition, Form I-130.

If the American petitioner lives in the United States, the petition should be filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service office which has jurisdiction over the petitioner's residence

If the American petitioner lives in Kazakhstan, the petition may be filed with a Consular officer at the U.S. Embassy in Almaty.

The bolded part is what you need to get past---read the DCF Guide, contact the Embassy with The Question and let us know what you learn! :)

Yes! Please! I am curious to know what the process is too. You are dealing with something a little bit new to me. :)

Joel

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have talked with my future American brother-in-law and he was successful in using the DCF process and he was NOT an overseas resident. He went over in October and married his wife in Bishkek and filed soon after for her DCF processed visa. The DCF took about two months or so and he could have returned with her in December but due to flights, hoildays, etc. they came to the US in January. The only thing that might have helped was that he had a one-year visa and I don't know how he got that long of a visa without applying as a business. I am getting a 3-month tourist visa which seems to be the max for a tourist visa.

I did know that the DCF goes though Almaty but that seemed to be no problem for my brother-in-law (soon to be). This does require a visa to cross into Kazakhstan but I have a double entry visa so that should be ok when I return to Bishkek.

I suppose my brother-in-law may have been very lucky or the rules have changed, but I guess the worse case scenario is the consulate will send the application back to Vermont for processing. I really hope I can avoid that delay.

I'm going to call my brother-in-law again and ask more questions. I will share what I learn.

Jeff D.

Immigrant Visas

1. File Petition

Immigrant Visas

1. File Petition

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I have talked with my future American brother-in-law and he was successful in using the DCF process and he was NOT an overseas resident. He went over in October and married his wife in Bishkek and filed soon after for her DCF processed visa. The DCF took about two months or so and he could have returned with her in December but due to flights, hoildays, etc. they came to the US in January. The only thing that might have helped was that he had a one-year visa and I don't know how he got that long of a visa without applying as a business. I am getting a 3-month tourist visa which seems to be the max for a tourist visa.

I did know that the DCF goes though Almaty but that seemed to be no problem for my brother-in-law (soon to be). This does require a visa to cross into Kazakhstan but I have a double entry visa so that should be ok when I return to Bishkek.

I suppose my brother-in-law may have been very lucky or the rules have changed, but I guess the worse case scenario is the consulate will send the application back to Vermont for processing. I really hope I can avoid that delay.

I'm going to call my brother-in-law again and ask more questions. I will share what I learn.

Jeff D.

hiya Jeff,

I suspect it wasn't "luck", but that one year business visa? Did he claim or appear to be living overseas?

At any rate, there is still no harm in you reading the DCF Guide and contacting the Immigrant Visa Unit yourself. In fact, you should, as DCF guidelines change frequently and often quickly (usually in Julys).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.