shy1akaanh

Bringing my grandma to visit.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My mom want to bring my grandma over to visit us. I'm looking around and all I could really make out is that my grandma need to file a form for a b1 visitor visa. I was wondering if anyone with experience in this could give me some advices. Much appreciated.

PS: She is from Vietnam so it will be a lot harder. This is why i post this here. Thanks

---

Marriage: 03-15-2009

I130 Sent: 05-25-2009

NOA1: 05-27-2009

NOA2: 08-22-2009

NVC: 09-25-2009

Email from NVC: 01-29-2010

Medical: 02-14-2010

Interview Date: 03-01-2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My mom want to bring my grandma over to visit us. I'm looking around and all I could really make out is that my grandma need to file a form for a b1 visitor visa. I was wondering if anyone with experience in this could give me some advices. Much appreciated.

PS: She is from Vietnam so it will be a lot harder. This is why i post this here. Thanks

If it's just for a visit then a B1 visa is the way to go. You're right - they're difficult to get in Vietnam. Grandma will need to show proof of strong ties to Vietnam. Good luck!

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

It is relatively easy to get approved for B1 visa provided that one can show a strong tie to Vietnam and the age of the applicant is perceived to be *old* enough that makes her/him less likely to stay in the States. I had gone through the process to get my sister in Hanoi to come for a visit here. She was denied for the first time but got approved for the second time (about 5 years from the first time).

Timeline

It won't be easy but the B1 tourist visa would be the way to go. She would have to show very strong ties to Vietnam but even that does not guarantee she will get the B1. I know a few people that live in my fiance's town that looked like they had very strong financial ties to Vietnam...but they were denied a tourist visa.

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Timeline

my family has known a handful of people that comes over to the US all the time 1-2x every couple years (they're mostly very rich)...however that's not always the case. my friend got BOTH her parents over for a 1-month stay and they're just regular people in their 50's with no strong ties at all. i also know of a case where a guy has been denied repeatedly and he owns a few properties in saigon.

my uncle and his family is planning to come over to attend his daughter's wedding in san jose next year (he has strong roots back home) so i'll keep an eye out on this topic.

Edited by quann

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

It is relatively easy to get approved for B1 visa provided that one can show a strong tie to Vietnam and the age of the applicant is perceived to be *old* enough that makes her/him less likely to stay in the States. I had gone through the process to get my sister in Hanoi to come for a visit here. She was denied for the first time but got approved for the second time (about 5 years from the first time).

Forgot to mention that my aunt also got approved for a B1 rather easily as well. She was in her 70s. I did write a letter explaining the purpose of the trip that my sister and aunt handed to the COs (two different persons). My sister said that her CO asked who wrote the letter and she simply answered, "My brother." I don't think my letter really had any effect on the outcome of these two brief interviews which lasted 4-5 minutes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

B1 is for Business.

B2 would be a better bet.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My fiance's mom got a tourist visa. She came to the US to visit some family and friends last year. She got some kind of documents to show the value of her houses in Vietnam and that she owned them. She also had a letter of sponsorship from her brother who lives in the US. She also had a bank statement.

She was denied a tourist visa about 10 years ago, but got the visa last year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.