Heysofia

VWP - Online partner

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok well me and my partner met nearly 4yrs ago in an online game, no we did not intend to fall in love. We would both talk about how stupid those people were then we did....lol figure. :P

Anyways, now we have both completed high school, me here in Australia and him over in the US. I have a full-time job and are more financially stable so we decided that I would go to him for that first meeting(nervous! :D ). I leave on June 25th on the VWP and leave on August the 10th. I will be staying at his house with his family when I'm there.

I was so excited with the idea...until my friends mentioned that US CBO's can be very intimidating and don't like the word..."boyfriend". I have NO intention of staying in the USA and will be coming back when my trip is up, but do you think they will deny me at LAX(my POE) airport if I get asked if my visit is to see my boyfriend, which of whom we met online?

I have no intention of staying at all, I have a paper from my employer stating when I'm due back at work, I will be renewing my car rego and insurance in May before I leave and I have every intention to come back and if all goes well when I'm with him over there, I will come back and we will start to do the K-1 Visa.

But do you think they would deny me at LAX if I say that I've never met my online boyfriend before and I'm visiting him? :unsure:

"Somewhere there's someone who dreams of your smile..." - Unknown

Our Journey

Mid-2008 - Meet on the online game, Runescape (total geeks haha)

September 7th, 2008 - Started our relationship :)

June 26th, 2012 - FINALLY meet in person after the long, necessary wait...Stayed with him for 7 weeks :) More in love than ever

August 22nd, 2012 - Sent off I-129F Petition

August 29th, 2012 - NOA1 Received via. Email(hardcopy about a week later in the mail)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Being honest is very important. Just say the facts that you are going to meet your boyfriend. Yes, please bring the doc that shows your strong ties with Australia. It would be good if you have return ticket.

XrVRp5.png

Timeline

Yea I have my return ticket and information on my itinerary sheet, plus the letter from my employer and the 2 car bills showing that I renewed them.

I'm more or less nervous about the denying bit, I've heard some people have had bad...bad..experiences with this kinda thing so I was wondering if anyone can say what the officers have said to them or what happened when they tried to enter the US in a similar situation to mine :unsure:

Our Journey

June 26th, 2012 - FINALLY meet in person after the long, necessary wait...Stayed with him for 7 weeks :) More in love than ever

August 29th, 2012 - NOA1 Received via. Email(hardcopy about a week later in the mail)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We didn't meet online, but I made over 20 trips to the US on VWP to see my boyfriend, and never hid that that was the purpose of my visit. I was never asked for more than a return ticket, although I carried further proof of ties with me. I'm sure you'll be fine, especially with all that evidence - none of us in the K1 forum would be here if we hadn't all made that first nervous journey over there and succeeded in spending time with our partners :)

K1

10 Jan 2012: I-129F package sent

14 June 2012: NOA2

11 July 2012: Medical

30 July 2012: Interview at London Embassy (Approved!)

13 Aug 2012: Visa Received

1 Sept 2012: POE (Atlanta)

15 Sept 2012: Wedding in New Orleans

AOS

16 Nov 2012: NOA Receipt Date

20 Dec 2012: Biometrics Appointment

16 Jan 2013: EAD & AP approved

25 Jan 2013: EAD & AP Card received

Timeline

Haha true I suppose :P I guess I'm just more nervous since it's a big thing and this is my first overseas trip to a different country by myself, I've always gone with school or family overseas.

Just got nervous when I looked online to see if what my friends said was true and saw horror stories of people at US customs being given a hard time when mentioning that they are visiting boyfriends. That's why I asked if people thought that I could be denied or if they could say their experiences like you did :)

Edited by Heysofia

Our Journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You'll be fine, they really aren't monsters! You sound very prepared, just follow through with everything you said, and look forward to the trip! Would be interesting to hear from people who met online and how they found that first visit, but I wouldn't worry about getting denied, it happens to a tiny percentage of people, who they have serious concerns about abusing the VWP programme etc. Your situation seems unproblematic to me. The golden rule when it comes to US immigration: honesty :innocent:

K1

10 Jan 2012: I-129F package sent

14 June 2012: NOA2

11 July 2012: Medical

30 July 2012: Interview at London Embassy (Approved!)

13 Aug 2012: Visa Received

1 Sept 2012: POE (Atlanta)

15 Sept 2012: Wedding in New Orleans

AOS

16 Nov 2012: NOA Receipt Date

20 Dec 2012: Biometrics Appointment

16 Jan 2013: EAD & AP approved

25 Jan 2013: EAD & AP Card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Not sure why people that dont know what they are talking about would say stuff like that to you....

I made many trips under the vwp to see my boyfriend...then my fiance...and one time it was with my 3 kids.....Gawd the immigration guys would laugh at me as I was always bringing my BOYFRIEnd Aussie Beers and wine....

they really couldnt care less about an aussie gal coming to the usa to see her boyfriend....those guys are more concerned with people from underveloped countries overstaying their visa's or trying to sneak in....I have never come accross an American who didnt want to really come to Australia....came accross many that didnt wanna go to many other countries in this world..Most Americans are not that dumb...they know which countries are as good (I say better) than theirs....

I hope you have a great time over here....that you treat it as it is....a fun visit to finally get to see someone very special face to face....to finally touch someone you have known for all this time...sort of like being given the gift of sight to a blind person...take heaps of pics, and if you can...massive amounts of video....

Dont be too fixated on marrying the guy ... not saying you are but Im just looking at your age and just want you to have fun fun fun....and please try to make him visit you in Australlia before you decide on anything....I think he needs to know your culture....before you decide on moving here...or he moving their.....???

In fact, tell that to immigration if they decide to question you....and have a great time. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :no::yes: :yes: :no:

Timeline

Yea don't worry, I'm still having fun at my age :P I just think if it does workout well then I don't see a point in not trying to continue the relationship and start the K-1 process.

Do you think when they ask what the purpose of my visit is that I should do:

Them: "What's the purpose of your visit?"

Me: "Visiting friends"

???? Or would that be considered lying? I am going to be visiting and being with a few of his friends who I'm friends with now so I am visiting friends as a main purpose too....But at the same time boyfriend-visiting is as well :wacko:

Our Journey

You really don't have anything to worry about...but I was in your position once so I know how you feel!! There is always a chance that CBP will deny you entry..but in reality the chance of an Australian being denied entry to the US on VWP isn't very high at all.

I met my now husband playing online poker lol and flew to the US about 6wks later on the VWP - my very first overseas trip ever!!

I was completely nervous that first time (and most of the times that followed), and that first time I visited I did say I was there to visit a friend, since at that stage I had no idea that our online friendship would develop into what it has.

I visited four more times on the VWP in the space of about 2 and half years and each time I told the CBP the truth.. I was visiting my boyfriend, then my fiance and then finally my husband....and they let me in with no problems every time.

I was only ever asked purpose of my visit, where I would be staying, how long I was intending to stay, how many times I had visited before, and when those trips were. I was never asked to show ties to home, or a return ticket or anything like that. In fact, I've had more problems with customs both in the US and in Australia than I ever have with Immigration lol (I worked with horses in Australia, and they had quarantine concerns because of that ...even though I wasn't working with horses or anywhere near them on my trips to the US).

Bring your ties to home just in case, but I highly doubt you will be asked for it (but might help give you peace of mind!).

Good luck with your trip and have fun!!

USCIS

30 Nov 2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago

1 Dec 2010 - I-130 received at Chicago

18 Apr 2011 - APPROVED!! NOA2 text and email

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

30 Apr 2011 - Police Check Application sent

2 May 2011 - Called NVC and got Invoice ID number

3 May 2011 - Sent DS-3032 email

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

5 May 2011 - AOS invoiced and paid

7 May 2011 - AOS package sent; IV invoiced and paid

9 May 2011 - AOS package delivered to NVC according to tracking

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

27 May 2011 - IV package delivered according to tracking

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

30 Jun 2011 - SIF and CC - FINALLY!!!!

13 Jul 2011 - Interview date assigned! Scheduled for August 9th @ 10am

9 Aug 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Aug 2011 - Visa in hand

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

Filed: Timeline

Of you haven't overstayed a previous visit, our have some unmentioned criminal record, don't even worry about it!

VWP countries are visa-free because less than 3% of their citizens overstay or violate their visas. Trust me, they have bigger fish to worry about.

Bring some proof of ties just in case, remember to fill out ESTA at last 72 hours before entry, and have a good time!

Timeline

Already got my ESTA filled in and approved, did that before I even booked the flight because I was so excited hahaha :P But yea, no criminal records and I've never been to the USA before so I have no overstays.

Just nervous about immigration :P But I'm sure that I'm worrying over nothing haha

Our Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.