scronster

Waiting for my divorce to go through before I can even START!

5 posts in this topic

Hi. First, just to introduce myself, my name is Tracey. I fell in love with my Dominican boyfriend exactly one year ago while on vacation. We have been together for a year, I've visited him 6 times over the past 12 months, met his mother and son and many friends, brought several of my friends to meet him, and in April I will be bringing my two children to meet him as well.

In the meantime, I have been legally separated from my children's father since 2008, but we only finally signed the divorce papers last December, when I realized that I might really want to go through with a second marriage in order to be with my love (something I SWORE I'd never do, by the way - my first husband hurt me so much that I swore I'd never get married again - never say never!!! LOL!)

Anyway, I have been waiting and waiting for my divorce papers to be processed so that my divorce will be final and I can finally begin the K-1 Fiancee visa process. So much waiting before I can even begin the waiting! UGH!

I assume there is no way to begin the paperwork while I await the final divorce, right? Does anyone know for sure? Elvis and I are getting eager to start our visa journey!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice or support you can offer.

Tracey

2/20/11 - We met in Juan Dolio, DR and fell in love a primera vista ;)

2/25/11 - Our first date

2/27/11 - Our first of many goodbyes... :(

3/24-27/11 - Visit #1

4/15-18/11 - Visit #2 - I met many of his friends.

6/30-7/7/11 - Visit #3 - I met his mother for the first time.

11/10-13/11 - Visit #4

1/14-16/12 - Visit #5 - I met his son for the first time.

2/19-24/12 - Visit #6 - I brought several friends along, and together we celebrated our 1-year anniversary!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Tracey :)

You can start getting together the paperwork and evidence that you need, but you cannot lodge a 129F while you are still legally married to someone else.

One of the documents you need to provide with your 129F is a "letter of intent", which is basically a simple letter from each of you stating that you are 'legally able and willing to marry' the other person within 90 days of entering the USA.

I know it's really hard when you're waiting on one thing before you can even start, but better to wait just a little longer than have them deny your application.

I wish you both all the best :) Good luck :)

I was in the same boat, separated for ages but never seemed to get around to the divorce paperwork and then had to wait for it to get moving on the visa stuff. Get everything prepared and ready to go, so that when you get final documentation for your divorce, all you need to do is make a copy (or several!), put a copy in the envelope with your other petition paperwork and send it on its way.

Good luck!

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

hmm - sort of like that James Bond movie - Never say Never. :lol:

:guides:

Here is a link to the K-1 guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

to tell u the truth i was in the same boat i was separated from my husband for almost 5 years before i met SO and decided to get divorced after a year when i met him but i think u should expedite ur divorce like i did by taking proof that u want to marry him like receipts for your reception, and invitations etc and that will speed up ur divorce process i summitted mines in april and in may it was finalize that is what i reccomend u to do if not u will have to wait a couple of months. Thats totally up to u what u want to decide if its K1 or marry your SO, best of luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.