mikegarycole

CR-1 Timeline help

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello! I am an American, and my wife is Canadian. We just got married in January in Canada, and now we're starting the CR-1 process. How long can we expect until she's able to move here? It's not so vital to us that she be able to work when she's first here, just that she's here. Is CR-1 the best route to go?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hello! I am an American, and my wife is Canadian. We just got married in January in Canada, and now we're starting the CR-1 process. How long can we expect until she's able to move here? It's not so vital to us that she be able to work when she's first here, just that she's here. Is CR-1 the best route to go?

Welcome to the forum!

The IR-1/CR-1 visa is for spouses, the K-1 is for fiance(e)s. :guides: for information on the process. The Immigration timelines may be useful information for you. Take the time to acquaint yourself with the wealth of information acquired from prior folks' immigration experiences and journeys. :thumbs:

Others will likely respond with more info.

Good luck!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Hello, Considering that you are married CR1 is pretty much our only option right now. Currently the CR1 process is taking anywhere from 5-7 months.

Married July 16th

NOA1- August 19th

Touch - August 24th

NOA2 - Feb 27th - Praise the Lord!!!!!!!

3/05/12 --- NVC Received CaseFile

3/20/12 --- NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued

3/20/12 --- Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

3/22/12 --- AOS FEE BILL PAID ONLINE &

3/26/12 --- AOS Fee Bill Marked Paid []

3/22/12 --- AOS CoverSheets Generated &

3/26/12 --- AOS packet sent

3/27/12 --- DS-3032 Accepted

3/28/12 --- AOS Packet Delivered @ NVC 10:30AM

3/28/12 --- IV Fee Bill Showing as 'Payable' []

3/28/12 --- IV FEE BILL PAID ONLINE &

3/29/12 --- IV Fee Bill marked as PAID []

3/29/12 --- IV CoverSheets Generated &

3/30/12 --- AOS Packet Accepted

4/02/12 --- IV packet sent +

4/03/12 --- IV packet recevied

4/06/12 --- NVC reports 'Case Completed' *

4/10/12 --- Interview Date Set *

4/10/12 --- Appointment Letter Received via Email

Interview Date - MAY 3RD

Medical Scheduled - April 25th

event.png

event.png

"We've come this far by faith"

If you're married, then the IR-1/CR-1 visa is the only way to go.

As for the wait time, it's about 9 months for Canadians. About 5 months in USCIS, about 2 months at NVC, and another 2 months until the interview. Of course, this can be longer or shorter as it always varies, but that's the average.

And with an IR-1/CR-1 visa, the foreign spouse will be able to work upon arrival as that is one of the benefits of that visa.

Timeline

If you're married, then the IR-1/CR-1 visa is the only way to go.

As for the wait time, it's about 9 months for Canadians. About 5 months in USCIS, about 2 months at NVC, and another 2 months until the interview. Of course, this can be longer or shorter as it always varies, but that's the average.

And with an IR-1/CR-1 visa, the foreign spouse will be able to work upon arrival as that is one of the benefits of that visa.

Do you think she'll be able to enter the US during the processing? She doesn't ever fly here, always drives. We're actually only 2 hours apart.

Do you think she'll be able to enter the US during the processing? She doesn't ever fly here, always drives. We're actually only 2 hours apart.

She can try. She just has to make sure she has a lot of proof with her that she's returning back to Canada (letter from her employer of her return date, lease, etc). If she's not prepared, she could get denied at the border, like I did... twice headbonk.gif

Timeline

I drive across quite often as we wait for our CR-1 (I am Canadian and husband is USC). I always have proof of strong ties with me as well as any paperwork showing where we are in the process.

Marriage : 2011-07-06

I-130 Sent : 2011-08-23

I-130 NOA1 : 2011-08-24

I-130 Approved : 2011-10-06

NVC Received : 2011-11-03

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-11-15

Pay I-864 Bill 2011-11-16

Return Completed I-864 : 2012-01-24

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2012-01-04

Receive IV Bill : 2011-11-18

Pay IV Bill : 2011-11-18

Case Completed at NVC : 2012-03-12

Medical Date: 2012-04-17

Interview Date : 2012-04-23

Interview Result : APPROVED!

Visa Received : 2012-04-27

US Entry : 2012-05-10 (Calais ME)

Welcome Letter received: 2012-05-29

Green Card received: 2012-06-04

Processing Time : Your I-130 was approved in 43 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 243 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Timeline

She can try. She just has to make sure she has a lot of proof with her that she's returning back to Canada (letter from her employer of her return date, lease, etc). If she's not prepared, she could get denied at the border, like I did... twice headbonk.gif

Hypothetically, couldn't she stay for 6 months as a visitor while it processes? We're sending in the paperwork this week, but ideally we'd like to have her here at the beginning of August, even if she can't work. Could she stay as a visitor until she gets her interview or whatever?

The good news is that she lives in a border town, so any border-crossing attempts don't require a long drive.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Hypothetically, couldn't she stay for 6 months as a visitor while it processes? We're sending in the paperwork this week, but ideally we'd like to have her here at the beginning of August, even if she can't work. Could she stay as a visitor until she gets her interview or whatever?

The good news is that she lives in a border town, so any border-crossing attempts don't require a long drive.

HI check out this thread. It responds to your question about visiting during th CR1

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/353096-cr-1-route-spouse-can-visit-us-while-process-is-going-on/page__p__5167989__fromsearch__1#entry5167989

Married July 16th

NOA1- August 19th

Touch - August 24th

NOA2 - Feb 27th - Praise the Lord!!!!!!!

3/05/12 --- NVC Received CaseFile

3/20/12 --- NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued

3/20/12 --- Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

3/22/12 --- AOS FEE BILL PAID ONLINE &

3/26/12 --- AOS Fee Bill Marked Paid []

3/22/12 --- AOS CoverSheets Generated &

3/26/12 --- AOS packet sent

3/27/12 --- DS-3032 Accepted

3/28/12 --- AOS Packet Delivered @ NVC 10:30AM

3/28/12 --- IV Fee Bill Showing as 'Payable' []

3/28/12 --- IV FEE BILL PAID ONLINE &

3/29/12 --- IV Fee Bill marked as PAID []

3/29/12 --- IV CoverSheets Generated &

3/30/12 --- AOS Packet Accepted

4/02/12 --- IV packet sent +

4/03/12 --- IV packet recevied

4/06/12 --- NVC reports 'Case Completed' *

4/10/12 --- Interview Date Set *

4/10/12 --- Appointment Letter Received via Email

Interview Date - MAY 3RD

Medical Scheduled - April 25th

event.png

event.png

"We've come this far by faith"

Hypothetically, sure. As long as she gets through the border and has a valid passport for when she returns to Canada.

Keep in mind, once you get to NVC (after the I-130 petition is approved), she'll need to get a police certificate for the IV package, so she'd have to return to Canada to obtain it. She'll also need her birth certificate for this package as well, so make sure she brings this with her.

Also, after your case is completed at NVC and an interview date is scheduled, she'll need to return to Canada to get a medical done. There are only 4 approved panel physicians in Canada: 1 in Vancouver, 1 in Toronto, and 2 in Montreal. This has to be done in Canada, NOT in the US.

And obviously, she has to return to Canada to attend the interview. But this is a given (I hope).

Other than that though, yes, she can stay and visit you in the US while this process is going on.

Timeline

Hypothetically, sure. As long as she gets through the border and has a valid passport for when she returns to Canada.

Keep in mind, once you get to NVC (after the I-130 petition is approved), she'll need to get a police certificate for the IV package, so she'd have to return to Canada to obtain it. She'll also need her birth certificate for this package as well, so make sure she brings this with her.

Also, after your case is completed at NVC and an interview date is scheduled, she'll need to return to Canada to get a medical done. There are only 4 approved panel physicians in Canada: 1 in Vancouver, 1 in Toronto, and 2 in Montreal. This has to be done in Canada, NOT in the US.

And obviously, she has to return to Canada to attend the interview. But this is a given (I hope).

Other than that though, yes, she can stay and visit you in the US while this process is going on.

Awesome. I don't suppose you'd have any suggestions as to the verbage to use when speaking to the border guard...

We just don't want to do anything that would jeopardize the visa process. But if they let her through, it's kosher?

Awesome. I don't suppose you'd have any suggestions as to the verbage to use when speaking to the border guard...

We just don't want to do anything that would jeopardize the visa process. But if they let her through, it's kosher?

Just tell her to be honest. She wants to visit you for a few months while the process is going on. Be warned though, the officer might think she's immigrating (that's what happened to me the second time I was denied even though I was only visiting for 2 weeks and had a return ticket). Especially since she drives, so she has no proof of a return plane ticket.

Is she currently working? Cause she can get a letter from her employer saying she is expected back on so-and-so date.

What's the longest she's stayed before (while you two were married)? Has she ever had problems before crossing?

She should be honest. When they ask her why she is coming, she should say she's visiting her husband. If they ask her how long she plans to be there, and she'll have to say 6 months, though that might result in not being allowed across. She can try using your NOA1 as proof that she plans to immigrate legally, but they are pretty sensitive to long stays even if you're going through the legal channels. When we drove across the border soon after filing our I-130, they stopped us, searched the car, and almost didn't allow my husband across because we had too much stuff with us and it looked like he was coming for a long stay, even though he had a return plane ticket for a week later. I had to convince them to open up the suitcases to see that it was all MY stuff (I'm the USC) so that they would finally allow him across.

Edited by alizon

Timeline

Just tell her to be honest. She wants to visit you for a few months while the process is going on. Be warned though, the officer might think she's immigrating (that's what happened to me the second time I was denied even though I was only visiting for 2 weeks and had a return ticket). Especially since she drives, so she has no proof of a return plane ticket.

Is she currently working? Cause she can get a letter from her employer saying she is expected back on so-and-so date.

What's the longest she's stayed before (while you two were married)? Has she ever had problems before crossing?

She is currently working, and I know her boss would be more than happy to write any kind of letter she asked for.

Since we just got married last month, she's only stayed for a week or so tops. She hasn't had any issues, but it may be because the time has been so short.

We've found that driving is always easier than flying, border-wise.

She is currently working, and I know her boss would be more than happy to write any kind of letter she asked for.

Since we just got married last month, she's only stayed for a week or so tops. She hasn't had any issues, but it may be because the time has been so short.

We've found that driving is always easier than flying, border-wise.

Ok, great that she's working. Definitely get her to get a letter from her employer saying that she's been granted 6 months (or however long you choose) leave and is expected to come back on so-and-so date or she'll be fired.

Does she have her own apartment or live with others? Do the same thing with this and get another letter saying she's leaving for however long and expected back on so-and-so date otherwise she'll be kicked out (if she's renting an apartment).

Also, wait until you get the NOA1 from USCIS before leaving. Then get her a copy so she can bring this as well, showing that you both want her to immigrate here legally. Only show this though if the crossing is going bad. Same for the above documents.

There's a big difference of staying a week and staying 6 months. She might get scrutinized more since they stay is so much longer.

And only living two hours apart, I bet it's also much cheaper to just drive than flying internationally.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.