spouse_visa

CR-1 route, spouse can visit US while process is going on ?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

dated for 2 years, going back and forth to Brazil, she is been here a couple of tims, popped the question last November while she was here visiting for 4 months

Married Dec 1st, 2011 in US

She went back to Brazil and is gathering documentation for I-130 filing.

I have gone back since then, and going back again next month. Will file on March/April timeframe.

The question I have is, I have read here, that she could still visit the US, as long as she gives generic answers when getting in,

however, I would like to know if she comes and stays for a month of two, but goes back within the given time, will this be an issue when she gets to be interviewed back home ?

For what I can see, from other people's timelines, once you apply for the I-130, it might take three or four months before she gets notified in Brazil ? Anyone that has married a Brazilian can tell me what the process on the Brazilian embassy is ? In my case, Sao Paulo ?

We are willing to stay apart for a while longer, until this is revolved, and I would be going back in forth every month or so, but if she could come over here while the process is on-going, it would be MUCH BETTER :-)

Thanks

H&L

Timeline

As long as her tourist visa is still valid, she should be able to come and go while your application is pending.

USCIS

2012 Jan 23: NOA1

2012 May 31: NOA2 (129 days)

NVC

2012 Jun 25: NVC received file from USCIS

2012 Jun 28: NVC assigned case number

2012 Jun 28: DS-3032 e-mailed to NVC

2012 Jul 10: DS-3032 was accepted

2012 Jul 10: AOS fee is Invoiced

2012 Jul 10: AOS fee is Paid

2012 Jul 11: AOS fee status showed Paid in system

2012 Jul 12: AOS package sent to NVC

2012 Jul 20: AOS package accepted

2012 Jul 11: IV fee is Invoiced

2012 Jul 11: IV fee is Paid

2012 Jul 12: IV fee status showed Paid in system

2012 Jul 12: IV packet sent to NVC

2012 Jul 21: CASE COMPLETE at NVC (26 days)

CONSULATE

2012 Aug 03: Received packet 4 / date of interview by e-mail

2012 Sep 10: Medical Exam

2012 Sep 12: INTERVIEW Result: APPROVED!

2012 Sep 17: Received Passport

USA!!!

2012 Sep 23: POE Detroit

2012 Oct 02: SSN Received

2012 Oct 12: Greencard received

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The question I have is, I have read here, that she could still visit the US, as long as she gives generic answers when getting in,

however, I would like to know if she comes and stays for a month of two, but goes back within the given time, will this be an issue when she gets to be interviewed back home ?

Generic truthful answers to generic questions is the key. Visits will not be an issue during an interview, if anything, it would be a positive. However, as it has already been pointed out, there is no guarantee she will be allowed entry by CBP.

For what I can see, from other people's timelines, once you apply for the I-130, it might take three or four months before she gets notified in Brazil ? Anyone that has married a Brazilian can tell me what the process on the Brazilian embassy is ? In my case, Sao Paulo ?

You don't apply for an I-130, the I-130 is a petition that is filed by a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident to obtain an immigration benefit for a relative. She won't be notified by USCIS with regards to its status at all, you will receive the notifications from USCIS. Once the NVC has the file, documentation will be sent there at the appropriate time and the NVC will schedule an interview at the Consulate in Rio de Janeiro.

She applied for an I-130 therefore it shows her intent to immigrate.

That is not correct wording, she is not applying for an I-130 (no one applies for an I-130). An I-130 petition which is a petition for an immigration benefit on her behalf will be filed. She will apply for a visa when the appropriate time comes.

She can attempt to visit you, but there is no guarantee of entry

That is true.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Anyone that has married a Brazilian can tell me what the process on the Brazilian embassy is ? In my case, Sao Paulo ?

Are you sure it is Sao Paulo? In the past, everything went through Rio unless it was for a tourist visa or something like that...

NOA 2. Really?

Generic answers? The only answers one should aim to give, as already mentioned by another member are truthful ones. If asked purpose of visit, you must answer truthfully (to visit family) and if asked who they must answer truthfully again. If you lie it could result in being turned away and a possible ban from entering the USA.

To be honest with you, everyones circumstances are different but I would be more concerned if someone didnt visit their spouse but as I said all cirucmstances are different. You are more than welcome to try and visit but entry is completely in the IO's hands. If visiting is an option, make sure you have documentation proving the intent to return to Brazil such as; rental agreement/house deeds, letters of employment, bank statements, return ticket and I carried the NOA1 with my incase I was pulled into secondary. I believe in being overprepared instead of being underprepared.

Edited by Rachie07

I love my husband!!

I-130 sent - 9/5/2011

NOA 1 received and routed to CSC - 9/22/2011

Petition Touched - 9/27/2011

Expedite Request sent - 02/24/2012

NOA 2 - 03/21/2012 (without need for expedite)

NVC Receive - 04/09/2012

Case Number Assigned -

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

From personal experience my advice. Be as truthful as possible. Your tourist visa is for the purpose of visiting for pleasure. For the most part the immigration officer will not know about your I130 petition unless you mention it.

Answer questions directly and for the most part you should be fine.

Take as much evidence showing ties to your country and that you will be returning. As those mentioned above.

Yes you can be denied entry, but so can anyone else entering the US on a tourist visa. Its always at the discretion of that officer.

Just remember you are doing nothing illegal and that will put your mind at ease.

Married July 16th

NOA1- August 19th

Touch - August 24th

NOA2 - Feb 27th - Praise the Lord!!!!!!!

3/05/12 --- NVC Received CaseFile

3/20/12 --- NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued

3/20/12 --- Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

3/22/12 --- AOS FEE BILL PAID ONLINE &

3/26/12 --- AOS Fee Bill Marked Paid []

3/22/12 --- AOS CoverSheets Generated &

3/26/12 --- AOS packet sent

3/27/12 --- DS-3032 Accepted

3/28/12 --- AOS Packet Delivered @ NVC 10:30AM

3/28/12 --- IV Fee Bill Showing as 'Payable' []

3/28/12 --- IV FEE BILL PAID ONLINE &

3/29/12 --- IV Fee Bill marked as PAID []

3/29/12 --- IV CoverSheets Generated &

3/30/12 --- AOS Packet Accepted

4/02/12 --- IV packet sent +

4/03/12 --- IV packet recevied

4/06/12 --- NVC reports 'Case Completed' *

4/10/12 --- Interview Date Set *

4/10/12 --- Appointment Letter Received via Email

Interview Date - MAY 3RD

Medical Scheduled - April 25th

event.png

event.png

"We've come this far by faith"

Timeline

thanks everyone.

I am actually the US Citizen filling the I-130 petition in the US ;-) I probably confused all of you !!!

Sorry about that ;-) Corinthians, ( MEU DEUS, I am Palmeiras ;-) ), I believe you are correct, it is Rio, I was not aware that Sao Paulo would not do it ;-)

My wife is back in Brazil, and I am going there in a couple of weeks to see her again, and grab all the documentation that she has translated, and when I get back, I will file the I-130 + g325a as well as everything the great guide on this forum tells me to do.

I have gone to Brazil every month, on average for the last 3+ years, and she has come here 3 times, never over staying her visa ( 3 weeks first time, 2 months later, and 4 months last time ), during the last 18 months.

I would like to send the I-130, and have her here, and, she can go home before after she gets notified there ? For what I can see, the NAO2 for a lot of people takes an average of 4 to 6 months ? She could stay here 3 or 4 months, and then go back and wait for this notification !!!!

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it ;-)

H&L

Timeline

I get back, I will file the I-130 + g325a as well as everything the great guide on this forum tells me to do.

Don't forget the G-325A for yourself as well.

I would like to send the I-130, and have her here, and, she can go home before after she gets notified there ? For what I can see, the NAO2 for a lot of people takes an average of 4 to 6 months ? She could stay here 3 or 4 months, and then go back and wait for this notification !!!!

As I already posted, notifications from USCIS from petition filing to adjudication decision are not sent to the beneficiary, they are sent to the petitioner. You are the petitioner, you will be receiving the notifications.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

thanks guys, yes, I understand that, I am following the I-130 guide instructions here

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

When talking about my wife being communicated, I was talking about this section there

On the section that explains what happens after the I-130 is mailed out, this is what confused me a bit

"A few weeks after you have received your last Notice of Action indicating the approval and forwarding of your I-130 application to the NVC, the NVC will send your relative a packet of forms that you and your relative must fill out before your relative can be given an interview date with a consulate abroad. The packet will likely contain an Of-169 form, and an Of-230 part one and two forms that must be filled out by the intending immigrant. An I-864 form is also included that must be filled out by the petitioner (living in the US). The I-864 is the Affidavit of Support form that requires copies of the petitioners past 3 U.S tax returns (or tax transcripts which are free from the IRS) as well as any bank or financial records available (see the I-864 for exact requirements based on your case). The petitioner must make at least 125% above the U.S federal poverty to indicate to the U.S government that the intending immigrant will not become a federal charge to the government when he/she arrives in the U.S.. If the petitioner cannot meet these requirements, then he/she must still file an I-864, and find a joint sponsor who can meet the requirements on his/her own. When a joint sponsor is needed ,proof of their U.S citizenship or permanent residency is required. (i.e. copy of birth certificate, immigration status etc). The joint sponsor must be residing in the U.S, and he/she must also submit his/her past 3 years U.S tax returns along with bank or any other financial records available. The joint sponsor must submit his/her own I-864 form to accompany the petitioner's I-864 form."

does this mean that I get the NOA2, and then, a few weeks later, my wife will get the packet ? That is what it sounds like, and this, for what I can see on people's timelines, is taking between 4 to 6 months ( time between NOA1 and NOA2 )

One more thing, on the

15. Evidence of a bonafide marriage (see note below for what to include)

We have just gotten married last December. She lives in Brazil, and does not have a SSN, so, I was not able to add her to my bank account here.

I have a bank account there, where I can add her, and that might be OK.

I also have create life insurances for her under my policy here.

They talk about affidavits as well. Can that be a letter from friends or family in Brazil, properly translated, and certified, or a notorized letter from common friends in the US ?

I am trying to make sure my I-130 packet is complete before I send it next month !! :-)

Thanks for the help guys,

H&L

Timeline

When talking about my wife being communicated, I was talking about this section there

On the section that explains what happens after the I-130 is mailed out, this is what confused me a bit

does this mean that I get the NOA2, and then, a few weeks later, my wife will get the packet ? That is what it sounds like, and this, for what I can see on people's timelines, is taking between 4 to 6 months ( time between NOA1 and NOA2 )

You will receive the NOA2. After you receive the NOA2, you will want to do the following. Allow one week for the file to be sent to the NVC, then call the NVC and ask if a case number has been assigned. Since you have not yet submitted your petition, Right now, your primary focus now is the initial filing of the petition with USCIS so I won't go on too much about NVC processing at this juncture (there will be plenty of time for that later). I will say this, once your case is sent to the NVC, don't wait for anything or you will be waiting for a long time, be proactive.

They talk about affidavits as well. Can that be a letter from friends or family in Brazil, properly translated, and certified, or a notorized letter from common friends in the US ?

Yes and yes.

Our journey:

Spoiler

Timeline

excellent Ryan H, I love this forum ;-) Very knowledgeable, whom are willing to help others through the darkness ;-)

thanks to everyone.

Will file on March 15th, a couple of days after coming back from Brazil ;-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.