Sebas&Lily

Need help with I-130, not sure if correct process for us

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello, I am trying to help out some family friend of ours and I am not sure they filled out the correct visa process. So, the mother, a US Citizen, gave birth to her child in Canada and now lives in Europe. What the mother is trying to obtain is citizenship for her child. My understanding is that all she has to do is go to the local embassy and fill out some forms, present the current birth certificate and that should be enough for the US to release a US birth certificate or whatever they give her child to become a US citizen. What is the proper procedure here? Did they do right by applying for an I-130?

N-400:

02/21/2015: N-400 sent via USPS Priority Mail to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

02/23/2015: N-400 received by USCIS

02/27/2015: Check cashed

03/03/2015: I-797C, Notice of Action received

03/26/2015: Fingerprints done!

08/24/2015: Notice of Action received, Interview letter!

09/28/2015: Interview day, PASSED! Oath Ceremony same day :)

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is the child living in Canada or Europe?

If the child is living in Canada they have a special process to claim US citizenship as an adult and it does not use the I-130.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

the child is living in Europe with mom at this time, for the last 3 years. She lived about 2 and a half years in Canada previously.

N-400:

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

the child is living in Europe with mom at this time, for the last 3 years. She lived about 2 and a half years in Canada previously.

The answer to your question depends on whether the child is entitled to US Citizenship immediately or only after entering the USA. This depends on how much time after age 14 the mother actually spent in the USA. If the mother has not been living in the USA since childhood, the I-130 was the correct path. If the mother spent several years (don't remember exactly how long but think it's five years) living in the USA after age 14, then a Consular Report of Birth abroad is the correct procedure.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I see, yes, the I130 is the correct path since the mother of the child came to the US in '97 and spent about 10 years here. My next important question is:

Do we need a I864W filled out for her daughter? From my understanding, the mother has to fill out one, I864 (obvious) but she has no income so the child's grandmother will also fill out a I864. Correct? Do we need to fill out the I864W for the child? That's the exemption one where we specify that she will become a US Citizen once she arrives in the USofA.

N-400:

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Timeline

I see, yes, the I130 is the correct path since the mother of the child came to the US in '97 and spent about 10 years here. My next important question is:

Do we need a I864W filled out for her daughter? From my understanding, the mother has to fill out one, I864 (obvious) but she has no income so the child's grandmother will also fill out a I864. Correct? Do we need to fill out the I864W for the child? That's the exemption one where we specify that she will become a US Citizen once she arrives in the USofA.

One of us is lost here. If the mother spent ten years in the USA after age 14, then a CRBA, not an I-130 is the correct path.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

the mother of the child came here at 18yo with the visa lottery, had a green card, became a citizen through naturalization

N-400:

mens-sofitel-loo.jpg

Timeline

the mother of the child came here at 18yo with the visa lottery, had a green card, became a citizen through naturalization

OK. So, if the mother was an adult US Citizen when the child was born, you have to apply the test to see if the Child qualifies for a US passport. If not, you file the I-130, obtain an IR2 visa and the child received citizenship upon arrival. In the second case, yes, you use the I-864W. First, determine if the CRBA will work. Sounds like it will but I'm going to let YOU do that homework.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I see, yes, the I130 is the correct path since the mother of the child came to the US in '97 and spent about 10 years here.

If 5 of those years are after age 14 as a US Citizen, then the I-130 is not the correct path.

Please to study up on 'CRBA' with the USCitizens Services Web Page of the country in Europe that your friend resides in - all of the instructions for 'how to do' are covered there.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.