dukeandduchess

Travel Insurance? (POE->SSN)

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I'm having some trouble finding medical insurance to cover me during that awkward phase when I am no longer a BC resident, and don't have American Health insurance..

Where did you guys get your coverage? Every time I try to get travel insurance it asks if I am a Canadian Resident covered by MSP. In my mind, my residency expires when I leave Canada. I also called and cancelled my MSP (ending Feb.29). I'm considering telling them I won't be leaving until March 31 (to give me time to get health insurance in the states), but I feel like I'm playing a dangerous game assuming they will cover me when technically I am no longer a resident.

What the heck do I do? I'm leaving on Sunday or Monday.

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, you can purchase immigrant health insurance from a number of places online. I have purchased Patriot America health insurance for the two months between arriving at POE and being able to join my fiance's health insurance after we marry. You can get a quote and do a comparison using this website: http://www.nriol.net...lth-insurance/.

Most travel insurance policies do not cover immigrants, as they for travellers returning to their original country of residence. Make sure you read the small print before you buy any policies, especially travel insurance, you could be wasting your money and may not be able to make a claim.

Edited by jayne d

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

if you search travel insurance in the top right, you will find a lot of info. Safe travels

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Jayne D is right about travelers insurance. When I did my research prior to moving in June, I found that most travel insurance only applies to travelers, which you are not when you immigrate. You have to look for international health insurance. I had Patriot America through International Medical Group, Inc. (IMG.). They were decently priced. However I can't say a thing of their claim service as I never had to use it.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Thanks for this info and the link. It hadn't even occurred to me that you could get temporary insurance like this. Are those quotes for a price per month or for the whole period of insurance? $150 for 4 months seems pretty cheap.

Timeline

Not sure how long you are waiting to get married, but we got married within 2 days of me arriving so that I could be added to my husband's insurance. I know that doesn't work for everyone, but it worked out well for us.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

These policies sound like for major events like accidents or near-death experiences.

If you want solid MSP-like coverage like coverage for normal office visits and prescriptions, you're going to need to go with an independent policy. Unfortunately, they are not cheap (welcome to amerikah!). I use them for my kids as I do not work permanently and direct for a company. I am an independent contractor in my employment, which does not provide any benefits.

The HMO-type plans are the most expensive but I can no longer find them.

That leaves PPO plans that offer benefits on a 80%/20% basis (they pay 80%, you pay 20%).

The rates vary a lot according to age and gender but will run around $400/month. Cheaper options are available with higher deductibles and co-pays and maybe on a 70%/30% basis. It all depends on how much you intend to use the coverage.

I tend to avoid the independent brokers who claim to work with a list of major providers.

This works for auto insurance but I have found this does not for health insurance.

Best to work directly with the health plan providers themselves (e.g. Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Kaiser-Permanente, Humana, United).

I know these are expensive options but the plans you initially suggest are probably a waste of money as they only pay out in very specific circumstances.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BBCC

Done: I-130/CR-1, I-751/ROC

Done: I-327

Timeline

Thank you all so much! I know when I get flustered all I need to do is ask on here and it'll be okay. :blush:

We're going to wait 1 month until we get married and I believe after that I will be added onto his work's health insurance but I'm going to do some research because I want one with a good maternity plan.

Anyway, off to the dentist and to hunt down insurance :whistle:

These policies sound like for major events like accidents or near-death experiences.

If you want solid MSP-like coverage like coverage for normal office visits and prescriptions, you're going to need to go with an independent policy.

I know these are expensive options but the plans you initially suggest are probably a waste of money as they only pay out in very specific circumstances.

Possibly, but I think there's nothing wrong with catastrophe-only insurance under certain circumstances. For instance, my husband is young, childless, no previous illnesses, no prescriptions, and male (duh) so no chance of pregnancy...given that we're only looking to cover a couple months worth of insurance before we figure out his insurance situation with his (prospective) employer, catastrophe insurance might be a good option (furiously knocking on wood).

Timeline

Well I bought one I saw on that website after going through a few different plans. I decided to get up to April 30th just in case it takes me a little while to find other insurance but most plans give an option to extend if you need to. Hooray, one less thing to worry about! Thank you again :)

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One post offering to sell traveller's insurance to Canada by the poster has been removed for violating TOS

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.