AmericanRi

Father's permission for child to emigrate

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am just beginning the process of applying for a K1 visa to bring my Ukrainian fiancee to the U.S. to marry. My fiancee has a child from a previous marriage, and of course I want to bring him to the U.S. also, on a K2 visa. However, my fiance fears that the biological father will refuse to give permission for the children to emigrate. The son lives with his mother, away from the father for 6 years now, the father has had NO contact at all with his son for over a year (the son is 8), he pays his child support (such a low amount, it's amazing!) sporadically, and is remarried with another child from his current wife. My fiancee reports that the legal system protects fathers, even if they have no contact with the child, and that she will not be able to get the court to grant her full custody. So my question is; are there other options available to me? Does anyone know how difficult it is in Ukraine for a mother to get full legal custody from the courts? And what exactly does the consular officer need to see at the interview in order to grant a K2 for a child? I would be soooo grateful for any advice or information!

We had the same thing but in the UK. We got a note from the biological father stating that he agrees to let the children emigrate to the US. if we did not have that note a court would have to get involved. In our case he had not paid support and we held that over him for leverage. He was happy to be absolved from the debt. If he will not voluntarily sign a form allowing the kids to leave the country a visa for them will be tough indeed.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: Timeline

I am just beginning the process of applying for a K1 visa to bring my Ukrainian fiancee to the U.S. to marry. My fiancee has a child from a previous marriage, and of course I want to bring him to the U.S. also, on a K2 visa. However, my fiance fears that the biological father will refuse to give permission for the children to emigrate. The son lives with his mother, away from the father for 6 years now, the father has had NO contact at all with his son for over a year (the son is 8), he pays his child support (such a low amount, it's amazing!) sporadically, and is remarried with another child from his current wife. My fiancee reports that the legal system protects fathers, even if they have no contact with the child, and that she will not be able to get the court to grant her full custody. So my question is; are there other options available to me? Does anyone know how difficult it is in Ukraine for a mother to get full legal custody from the courts? And what exactly does the consular officer need to see at the interview in order to grant a K2 for a child? I would be soooo grateful for any advice or information!

I am having the identical problem.

My fiance knocked herself out with the court system, all kinds of paperwork. Thus far she has gotten nowhere, even though he has not paid support in several years, etc. The Ukrainian attorney I hired says she has near zero chance of getting sole custody, especially since the ex husband is remarried and has a pregnant wife, showing that he is a "family man." My fiance and her ex are not even on speaking terms, so things have ground to a complete halt. I think the ex would tear off his own arm just so he could throw it at her. I cannot imagine ever getting cooperation, and am now uncertain how or even if I can move forward.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

if i understand correctly.. the BIO father must sign off or kid can not leave county.

i read about a couple of people in same situation..

they told father, "you don't want to sign? then he can leave and you have custody to have care for him, since you won't let him go with me.. you will raise him, feed him, shelter him">.

the dads were more then happy to sign once that settled in..

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

if i understand correctly.. the BIO father must sign off or kid can not leave county.

i read about a couple of people in same situation..

they told father, "you don't want to sign? then he can leave and you have custody to have care for him, since you won't let him go with me.. you will raise him, feed him, shelter him">.

the dads were more then happy to sign once that settled in..

Ahh, a very interesting approach, I never thought of that. Hope the fiancee has the guts to try the bluff, though, and it would, in the end, be just a bluff for her. Thanks for the info!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

If the father is listed on the child's birth certificate, then yes Kiev wants to see a notarized letter from the father granting permission for the child to Permanently Immugrate to the US; you will need to show this letter every time the child leaves the country on any return visits. It's a big deal. I've asked the Mods to move this to the RUB forum where very knowledgeable folks will give you guidance.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

If the father is listed on the child's birth certificate, then yes Kiev wants to see a notarized letter from the father granting permission for the child to Permanently Immugrate to the US; you will need to show this letter every time the child leaves the country on any return visits. It's a big deal. I've asked the Mods to move this to the RUB forum where very knowledgeable folks will give you guidance.

Sorry, but which forum is "RUB?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Sorry, but which forum is "RUB?"

Russian Ukraine Belarus forum.. :)

i had to figure that out too :)

the RUB's are very proud people :)

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

Ahh, a very interesting approach, I never thought of that. Hope the fiancee has the guts to try the bluff, though, and it would, in the end, be just a bluff for her. Thanks for the info!!

Usually the threat of child support or the bribe of waiving child support plus some monetary consideration has been successful.

I would suggest you put off all visa plans UNTIL you have his notarized signature on a paper; without it, the child will not be allowed to leave. Period.

If they don't show up, find and contact Gary and Alla who posts in this forum; they have real life experience.

Edited by baron555

Usually the threat of child support or the bribe of waiving child support plus some monetary consideration has been successful.

I would suggest you put off all visa plans UNTIL you have his notarized signature on a paper; without it, the child will not be allowed to leave. Period.

If they don't show up, find and contact Gary and Alla who posts in this forum; they have real life experience.

I haven't really used this site much. How can I locate and e-mail Gary and Alla that you mentioned.

Thanks.

I haven't really used this site much. How can I locate and e-mail Gary and Alla that you mentioned.

Thanks.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/44804-gary-and-alla/

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

From the American embassy in Kiev website:

A notarized statement from an absent parent giving permission to a child to immigrate to the US along with a photocopy of the photo and signature pages of his/her passport or court decree of sole legal custody, or death certificate

http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/fiancee-step1.html

Read all four pages for good background information of the process...

Edited by Tanya and Barry

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Three words: MONEY MONEY MONEY. Even the worst SOB will take money unless they're truly crazy. The question is what is the magic number?

I agree with Baron. This has been covered by several RUB members (I think Baron might be one), and Gary actually paid off the stepdad, if I recall.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Thanks.

Look around at the other threads in the RUB forum; Gary is everywhere. Look for the photo of the hot Ukraine lady; Gary's photo is not allowed!

I agree with Baron. This has been covered by several RUB members (I think Baron might be one), and Gary actually paid off the stepdad, if I recall.

No, Leonid has no father listed on his passport; so wasn't an issue for us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.