arvinb

Should 5-year applicant/non married need to bring tax transcripts?

5 posts in this topic

Seems everyone's asking, and I never really considered it...

I am applying based on 5 year, non marriage. Should I bother trying to get my tax transcripts? My interview is in the next 4-5 weeks I think.

if it matters at all, I am self-employed (freelance graphic artist). Any idea if they consider that any differently?

Edited by arvinb

Seems everyone's asking, and I never really considered it...

I am applying based on 5 year, non marriage. Should I bother trying to get my tax transcripts? My interview is in the next 4-5 weeks I think.

if it matters at all, I am self-employed (freelance graphic artist). Any idea if they consider that any differently?

I believe only those who apply based on marriage should have to show tax returns or transcripts but to be absolutely sure, you can request them on the IRS.gov website, or by phone (the number is also listed on their site). It's free and takes about 5-10 days to receive :)

I doubt it matters if you're self-employed. I am self-employed as well (filing based on marriage, though) and don't see why it should be any different. America is build by the self-employed ;)

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Would you like to find out during the interview whether or not your I.O. is among those who want to make sure you never failed to file a required income tax return?

If so, just go without one.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Took about five minutes of my time to call that IRS tax transcript number, do a google search, to get four years of tax transcripts for my stepdaughter. Four years is all I could get. All the information I needed was on her tax return I prepared for her. She took those in with her for her interview and told her IO she had them. He said I don't want to see them.

Willing to bet if I didn't do that, he would have insisted on seeing them. This is how the USCIS works. Four separate envelops came in the mail in about four days, just left those in the envelopes. Also downloaded from her university, her grade transcripts to prove she was in college and on the high honor roll, he didn't want to see those either. But did want to see proof of payment of a 50 buck traffic fineI had to pay for her when she was a minor. Caught me way off guard on that.

Wife's IO got irritated when she presented four years of our tax returns, for marriage, you only need THREE.

Had an FAA inspector that didn't know ####### about the technical data on a flight check, but made a big deal when that flight test was done not corresponding with the printed date at the bottom of the form, even though that form did not change in the last 25 years. N-400 hasn't changed in years either, but also has the printed date on the bottom. Never heard about issues on this, but made damn sure I downloaded the latest form, always a first time.

In the military, had to get down and do 50 pushups, because when I tied my shoes, the lengths of the loops and ends were not equal on each side. You only meet people like this in the government and the USCIS is no exception, call them Nickpickers. So make sure the form date is the latest and your shoe strings are tied equally.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.