Mark&Took

Visa expiration?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Everything I have read says the visa will last 6 months. I was reading another forum and someone said theirs was 6 months from the date of the medical exam. I know you don't get the visa until you pass the interview (and different countries have different procedures). It seems most people do the Medical close to the interview. My fiancé has to travel a long way to get the medical, police certificate, and pay the visa fee. We are hoping she can do this in one trip soon which would be about 2-3 months from the interview. Is that a bad idea? Will the visa only have 3 months left for her to enter the U.S.? Or will it be good for a full 6 months from issue date regardless of when the medical was done? We need some time after the visa is issued to close her apt, leave her job, and say goodbyes to family and friends until we get AP and an travel outside the U.S.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Everything I have read says the visa will last 6 months. I was reading another forum and someone said theirs was 6 months from the date of the medical exam. I know you don't get the visa until you pass the interview (and different countries have different procedures). It seems most people do the Medical close to the interview. My fiancé has to travel a long way to get the medical, police certificate, and pay the visa fee. We are hoping she can do this in one trip soon which would be about 2-3 months from the interview. Is that a bad idea? Will the visa only have 3 months left for her to enter the U.S.? Or will it be good for a full 6 months from issue date regardless of when the medical was done? We need some time after the visa is issued to close her apt, leave her job, and say goodbyes to family and friends until we get AP and an travel outside the U.S.

The VISA is 6 months from date of issuance, not medical. The VISA will have an issue date and it is usually the date after your Embassy interview that the Embbasy approves and prints your VISA.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The visa is good for six months or when the medical expires; whichever is earlier.

Example; Medical exam on 1/1/2011 which expires in 6 months on 7/1/2011. Interview and visa issued on 4/1/2011. Visa will expire on 7/1/2011 when medical exam expires.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The visa is good for six months or when the medical expires; whichever is earlier.

Example; Medical exam on 1/1/2011 which expires in 6 months on 7/1/2011. Interview and visa issued on 4/1/2011. Visa will expire on 7/1/2011 when medical exam expires.

Not true. The visa expires 6 months after the date of issue. They will write an expiry date on the visa itself. For example: I had my interview Oct.7, 2011. My visa was issued Oct.10,2011. My visa expires April 10,2012. My medical was Sept. 14th, 2011.

Edited by dukeandduchess

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Not true. The visa expires 6 months after the date of issue. They will write an expiry date on the visa itself. For example: I had my interview Oct.7, 2011. My visa was issued Oct.10,2011. My visa expires April 10,2012. My medical was Sept. 14th, 2011.

Hence whichever comes first. The medical is good for a year, yours was(is) valid until September 14th 2012 so your visa is set to expire 6 months after it's been issued since the medical isn't an issue here.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

His example is showing the medical expiring after 6 months though, not 1 year. If his example were accurate the visa would expire on 10/1/2011 not 7/1/2011...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The visa is valid for 6 months. The medical for one year. If for some reason she need more time she could ask them to extend the intervew date or the insertion of the visa in the passport.

Her logistical problem is typical for Thais. This can be overcome by planning. The most difficult is the police cert because of timeing. It takes a few weeks. I think this request can be done by mail now or by going in person. She should check with her local police to find out. While there she could attempt what I did. I asked my local police to help me get the certificate. I got it from them in about 10 days. I know people here say that cant be done but I assure you I got it done. At that time we were told we must go to BKK to get it. I did not. Its worth a try.

The medical is simple as is the visa fee.

She will travel to BKK the day before her interview anyway. She could go two days early in order to allow time to do the medical with less stress. Its over in a few hours & she will be given the results to take with her. She could then go to any Thai post office to pay the visa fee.

There is nothing wrong with doing all of this several months early as you say either so there are many different ways to get this done. I think you were just confused about the experation dates.

Timeline

Thanks for the replies. I see the police certificate lasts 6 months, maybe that is why I thought the medical was good for 6 months. I did some research and can't find a definite answer that the medical is good for 1 year. I want to make sure when she gets to a POE everything is still current. I could read these instructions everyday and still not remember it all!! One day it will all be behind us! Thanks again.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for the replies. I see the police certificate lasts 6 months, maybe that is why I thought the medical was good for 6 months. I did some research and can't find a definite answer that the medical is good for 1 year. I want to make sure when she gets to a POE everything is still current. I could read these instructions everyday and still not remember it all!! One day it will all be behind us! Thanks again.

The medical is good for one year. A clue to this is the fact that people can do the AOS without a new one if its done within that one year window.

Timeline

I got this statement from my Packet 4 instructions.

Medical examination and Thai police certificate are normally valid for one year. Please provide new documents if the current ones have expired.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Rely on local or country specifics here. The medical is all around good for a year, police reports depend on the country. I know mine is valid for a year. If it says expiration date on the police report, then go by that since that's the original source of information.

The "validity" of the medical; "Note: The results of the medical examination are generally valid for only 12 months. Applicants should schedule the medical examination as close as possible to the time they file for adjustment of status, but provide sufficient time for the performance of laboratory testing or additional testing required under CDC's Technical Instructions." found on http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=eb1f3591ec04d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

When having interview in home country, then it's a bit different but validity is still the same.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Timeline

I believe she can do all those three things in a day. However, if I understood you well, you have NOT sent in your package 3 since you have not done any of these. Just to make things clear. TOOK must take a day off from work and spend that day solely for the purpose of getting the police clearance processed and paying for the visa fee at any Thai post office in Bangkok. She would still have to wait for another 2 weeks (I am not so sure) till the Police Headquarters could send in her Police Clearance at her home mailbox. The payment at the Post Office is just a 2-minute away process. She keeps the receipt, and she could photocopy the WHITE paper and include that in the P3.

If I got this right, prior to submitting the packet 3 back to the USEM, you must photocopy all those certificates that includes the Police Clearance.

I am afraid she needs to allocate another day to do her medical.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

The VISA is 6 months from date of issuance, not medical. The VISA will have an issue date and it is usually the date after your Embassy interview that the Embbasy approves and prints your VISA.

Hi RickJOvi

im confused also i post here the same problem like these,im worry in my case since many here said visa expiration depend when ur medical expiration ,if thats true i have only 2 weeks to wait until visa expired and yet until now i dont get my visa,thats makes me stressful :bonk: :bonk:

In ur case your visa expired 6 months from the date of issuance?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.