benamy

Packet 3 - Help needed - Australia

9 posts in this topic

Hey people,

I have read through the instructions and read posts on the procedure for the packet 3 material, and it just doesn't translate clearly to me.

Do I submit the DS-230 (part 1) by itself, first?

Do I then gather all the necessary documents together and post them with the DS-156/K & DSL-1076 to get the interview? Or.. do I just send in the check-list and keep the evidence for the interview?

What about the I-134? Do i post that in or take it with me to the interview?

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

Hey Ben! I also have an Australian Ben :luv:

I'll just say welcome for now since I have yet to receive my NOA2, but you're sure to find some good info here from the other members! Welcome to VJ!! :D

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Hey people,

I have read through the instructions and read posts on the procedure for the packet 3 material, and it just doesn't translate clearly to me.

Do I submit the DS-230 (part 1) by itself, first?

Do I then gather all the necessary documents together and post them with the DS-156/K & DSL-1076 to get the interview? Or.. do I just send in the check-list and keep the evidence for the interview?

What about the I-134? Do i post that in or take it with me to the interview?

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

I just posted of my Packet 3 today! Yay. This is what I decided to do. I have been getting ready for the P3 for the last 4 months. Over the weekend I got everything ready including a duplicate to keep here, in case something went wrong. My P3 arrived this morning and I sent EVERYTHING in ONE platinum express bag to the Consulate. So as I read it, I was to send back the DS 230 part 1 only (that's pages 1&2) Then gather all the other evidence. If you look at the ckeck list in the 7 pages you download from the embassy site, it says to inlcuded I 134 with the docs you return. On the DS 156k in the middle of the form it asks for evidence of your engagement. I put in some copies of the originals I plan to bring with me to the interview. When you read the inital instructions, it says to bring things with you to the interview. So there is no ONE consistant instruction, but I went with the "send more, regret it less" option and will bring back up material with me. My package weighed 1.2kg in paperwork!!!! Mine's a bit more complex though as I have children etc.

More than happy to offer any more suggestions if you need, but it's really up to you to decide how you want ot put your package together.

AOS Timeline
Filed 15th June, 2012
NOA date 18th June
Bio appt 20th July
Transferred to CSC 21st July, 2012
EAD/AP approved 27th August.
Received Green Card 6th October. No Interview. Amazing!
Thanks for all the help, see you again in June 2014

ROC Timeline

Mailed Package 30th June 2014

I-797 received 5th July, 2014

Biometrics Appointment 07/30/2014.

Hi Ben,

If you have everything ready right now, you can send it all together, including the DS 230 part 1 and the statement of readiness to be interviewed. However if you don't have everything ready, then you send DS 230 part 1 now and then send everything else once you have it, including the statement of readiness to be interviewed, the checklist and the I-134 and supporting documents. Some people have said that their DS 230 did not meet with the rest of their paperwork, so if you do option B you might want to include an extra copy of the DS230.

As for evidence of engagement, the Australian consulate does not usually ask for that. They will have the package that you sent with the I-129f petition, including whatever evidence you put in that petition. I would personally not want to overwhelm them with paperwork, but instead just send them what is required. If there is something needed that you have not included, they will ask for it when they send you the interview appointment letter. It is alway a good idea to bring evidence to the interview, but it is rarely needed.

(And I absolutely agree to keep copies of everything)

The checklist will indicate whether you need to submit the original or a copy.

Good luck, and let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks for the response peeps!

My fiancee is just getting everything sorted for the I134 now, so that'll be about a 10 day wait to get that information.

I might send in the DS230 with a passport scan on friday, and then the other stuff a week or so later with another DS230 in it for safe measure.

:)

You should also check out the Australia/NZ regional forum, this has a lot of regional-specific information

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/146-australia-and-new-zealand/

Also here is the Sydney consulate page, though some of the information is a little out of date:

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Australia&cty=Sydney

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I sent me DS 230 early but it didn't meet up with my paper work so when i got my interview email they asked me to bring it in with me. By the time i had my interview though they had matched it all up. I still took an extra copy to be safe though. Also, if something is missing from your packet three then they will just ask you to bring it to the interview. I didn't send in my Husband's I-134 with my packet three ( we were using a co sponsor and i didn't realise at the time that he still needed to fill one out) so they just asked me to bring it to interview instead :)

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

so now I got pkt3, i haven't got medical and police check yet, i can send DS-230 on it's own first?

Then the rest ASAP:

1. DS-156,

2. DS-156k,

3.DSL-1076 (readiness for interview form),

4. medical report,

5. police check,

6. my fiance's I-134 with supporting documents

7. my birth certificate?

8. passport?

9. two recent US-size passport photos?

10. proof for 'ongoing relationship'?

What happens after I send them the DS-230?

Also since i live so close to the consulate, can I deliver them myself in person?

~My Timeline~

K1 and AOS- 2012

ROC- 2014

Citizenship N400

Filed: 12-28-2020 online

NOA1: 2-1-2021

Bio: reuse 4-26-2021

Interview: 2-14-2022

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

so now I got pkt3, i haven't got medical and police check yet, i can send DS-230 on it's own first?

Then the rest ASAP:

1. DS-156,

2. DS-156k,

3.DSL-1076 (readiness for interview form),

4. medical report,

5. police check,

6. my fiance's I-134 with supporting documents

7. my birth certificate?

8. passport?

9. two recent US-size passport photos?

10. proof for 'ongoing relationship'?

What happens after I send them the DS-230?

Also since i live so close to the consulate, can I deliver them myself in person?

No you can't deliver in person there's many reasons why but basically you don't want to risk them misplacing it etc. Mail has a set process when it arrives. Don't forget to send the email form if you want to change the email address. Sending the DS-230 it just so they can start some of their processes. You won't get P4 (interview date) until you return P3.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.