beata.ry

Flying within the USA with and expired visa

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I honestly don't think I'm going to take a risk and enter the "lions cage" so flying out to Cali is not not happening any time soon. Thank you for all the answers I appreciate it very much :)
Good choice! Good luck to you, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I'm afraid you have incomplete information...also from the TSA site:

'In June 2007, a layer of aviation security was added when TSA assumed travel document checking responsibilities from airline contractors. Specially trained Transportation Security Officers (TSOs), using black lights and magnifying loupes, are positioned in front of the checkpoint to check passengers' boarding passes and identification, a system now in place at every airport in the country. Since the program was implemented, security officers performing document checking duties have found thousands of suspect, illegible or expired documents, including passports, visas and drivers licenses.'

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/tdc/index.shtm

They only check your ID document to make sure they are legit, they don't flip thru the passport and look for the visa and validity of the visa.

Saying that does not mean they would never do it, they would only ask for visa and stuff if they feel the passport itself is invalid, or passports bio page has been tampered.

Also you are reading from the website, I am telling you from my real observation, I fly alteast twice every week and one of the airport I flu thru has tons of tourist from all over the place.

Lines are are crazy anyway at this airport (thats diff story) but if TSA started looking at everyones visa security lines would be beyond control.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Here is the description from TSA site "Since 2001, we have been mandated by law to appropriately screen air travelers to ensure that certain items and persons prohibited from flying dont board commercial airliners."

Duties of a TSO (Transportation Security Officer)

Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) provide security and protection of air travelers, airports and aircraft in a courteous and professional manner. This includes:

Operating screening equipment to identify dangerous objects in baggage, cargo and on passengers, and preventing those objects from being transported onto aircraft;

Performing searches, to include hand-wand and pat-down searches;

Controlling terminal entry and exit points;

Interacting with the public, giving directions and responding to inquiries;

Maintaining focus and awareness while working in a stressful environment which includes noise from alarms, machinery and people, crowd distractions, time pressure, and disruptive and angry passengers, in order to preserve the professional ability to identify and locate potentially life threatening or mass destruction devices, and to make effective decisions in both crisis and routine situations.

Nowhere is says they are required to check the immigration status of the passenger and infact as I said most don't. I fly atleast twice everyweek and one of the airport I fly to has lots of foregin tourist including ppl from Brazil, Argentina and Europe.

I have never seen a TSA guy flip the passport other then Bio page.

Only time I have seen them flip the passport is when they feel the passport itself is a fake.

As I mentioned they are not stopped from checking the visa and if they find something is not right they can call the CBP officer in the airport and hand over the case to them.

hm..whatever you want to think :) I only speak from my own experience of previously working at one of the main airports in Chicago. I did not work as a TSA but within the back offices at the airport so I will disagree with you on this one...like I said she might get lucky that's about it. (anyway it doesn't sound that she even has a valid US ID to show)

Edited by habibi83

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

you got that right. obviously I'm not getting married for papers so I do what I can to stay here and function just like everyone else... it's just my options are limited. I honestly don't think I'm going to take a risk and enter the "lions cage" so flying out to Cali is not not happening any time soon. Thank you for all the answers I appreciate it very much :)

Have you tried driving with someone that might be more reasonable solution for you. Or take the train/metra, they usally do not check things too intensly...

Filed: Other Timeline

Beata,

do you have a U.S. driver's license?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.