Sign in to follow this  
Eycewolf

So many questions, so much stress ><

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi, another newbie to the K1 drama fretting over millions of things...

I have 3 really burning questions I hope someone can answer, as we're becoming increasingly worried, and confused about so many things.

Firstly: Can I visit the US while the petition is being processed, providing I have a return ticket back to New Zealand, it'd be ok, right? Has anyone else here been allowed to visit?

This horrid process takes far too long... I havn't seen my beloved since Feb 29th, and we are both dying to see each other.... honestly.. I never realised such dire pain and anguish could be inflicted..

Secondly: Affadavits of Support... this is worrying right now, as my US fiancee is now a college student, and I am the graduate, so I will be the bread-winner, not him, so to speak.... at least until he finishes college. How does this work? Will our application be suspended or turned down until he has a full-time job again?

Thridly:Going through the Embassy in Auckland, New Zealand, I have had a great deal of conflicting information from the Embassy itself regarding how much it actually costs to obtain the visa (incl medical fees). They have told me, on separate occassions, cost estimates of $200, $450, and one time I was told I would have to pay at least $1500 (NZ).

What does a K-1 visa cost???

I am so confused and stressed out by all of this, if anybody could shed a little light on any of this, I would be most grateful.

August 8 - Sent 129F to Nebraska

September 5 - NOA1

September 12 - Touched

November 3 - Touched

November 6 - Touched (Email about RFE)

November 7 - Touched

Filed: Timeline

I have 3 really burning questions I hope someone can answer, as we're becoming increasingly worried, and confused about so many things.

Firstly: Can I visit the US while the petition is being processed, providing I have a return ticket back to New Zealand, it'd be ok, right? Has anyone else here been allowed to visit?

We were told that visiting while our visa was being processed wasn't a good idea, though plenty of people here seem to do it without any problems.

This horrid process takes far too long... I havn't seen my beloved since Feb 29th, and we are both dying to see each other.... honestly.. I never realised such dire pain and anguish could be inflicted..

Please. These visas can take over a year to process, and be grateful you're not middle eastern. Otherwise it would take even longer. You haven't waited that long.

Secondly: Affadavits of Support... this is worrying right now, as my US fiancee is now a college student, and I am the graduate, so I will be the bread-winner, not him, so to speak.... at least until he finishes college. How does this work? Will our application be suspended or turned down until he has a full-time job again?

Unless his income is 125% of the poverty line or he has considerable personal assets, he won't qualify. It sounds to me like you will need a co-sponsor. For example, if his parents are willing and qualified, they can co-sponsor your immigration. Regardless of his income level, he is required to fill out an affadavit of support.

Thridly:Going through the Embassy in Auckland, New Zealand, I have had a great deal of conflicting information from the Embassy itself regarding how much it actually costs to obtain the visa (incl medical fees). They have told me, on separate occassions, cost estimates of $200, $450, and one time I was told I would have to pay at least $1500 (NZ).

Filing each application...and the K1 sounds like it's a 2-stage process, just like the IR-1 we applied for...will cost money. The medical examination will cost money. Obtaining your required documentation from New Zealand authorities will probably cost money. This process is not cheap. Each consulate seems to have its own pricing schedule and particular way of doing things, so I could tell you how much it cost US to get the visa but it will probably be different for you. We're not applying for the same visa anyway.

I am so confused and stressed out by all of this, if anybody could shed a little light on any of this, I would be most grateful.

I'd say relax, be patient, get a co-sponsor, and just pay as requested. This is a lengthy process at the best of times, mostly due to the volume of applications to come to the US (we're popular) and the abundance of visa fraud requiring a lot of time-consuming processing. There's not really anything you can do to make it go faster (getting a lawyer won't help) so I would recommend just being patient and taking each step as it comes. You'll get there eventually.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Hi There,

Most of our experience is with the CR-1 visa so I may be wrong, however this is how is seems to me...

okay with the visting this seems to be a grey area and people have had mixed sucess with this.. search for other peoples posts as plenty of people have written about this. Im not sure about the K1 but people tend to avoid doing this on the CR-1

As for the fianacial support, im afraid that im pretty sure that your income doesnt come into play, becuause it is non US based, if he doesnt make the required amount then you will probably look into getting a joint sponsor that does.

As for the embassy.. check the embassy website

All the best on your journey !!.. like I said most of our experience is with CR-1 and not K1 so there may be differences

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Why don't you go visit him now and prepare and send the I-129F together while there? That way you'll have less trouble with immigration upon arriving and without the risk of being denied entry 'cus you have a pending application, especially since you're a student and wouldn't have strong ties back home to proof your intention of going back (even with a return ticket).

For the affidavit of support it seems you'll need a co-sponsor that earns the 125% poverty guidelines to support you, even though the USC fiance will need to fill one out, making 125% or less. Btw, foreign income won't come into play unless you have a large ammount of assets (read the affidavit guides in the Foreign Embassy forum to learn about that).

Now about your embassy, I have no information on how things work there.

Welcome to VJ and good luck on your process !!!

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm sure others who come in will mention this - but you should look into Direct Consular Filing. It's an option in Australia and New Zealand. It cuts the waiting period IMMENSLY!! If you can make the trip to New Zealand, you can do DCF....so go read the guides and consider it. Let me know if you have any questions.

There are several members going through, and some already done, doing DCF in N.Z. Search for Sadie's posts...she did it successfully...

Seriously...look into it :)

check this out...

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Thank you very much for your reposnses, you've been very helpful : )

I wish someone had told me about DCF months ago before we filed our 129F -_-

August 8 - Sent 129F to Nebraska

September 5 - NOA1

September 12 - Touched

November 3 - Touched

November 6 - Touched (Email about RFE)

November 7 - Touched

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is totally uncalled for.

Regardless of how you cut it, distance is distance and it sucks regardless of if you haven't seen each other in 2 years or 2 minutes.

I'm so sick of people toting that some people are entitled to complain and others aren't. We're all in this process and should ALL be allowed to voice our impatience with it.

:star: Cass (bebop theg reat)

Please. These visas can take over a year to process, and be grateful you're not middle eastern. Otherwise it would take even longer. You haven't waited that long.

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

:yes: I agree! If your USC fiance does not have the income, you will need a cosponsor that is willing to make the legal commitment of support for 3 years.

Hi There,

Most of our experience is with the CR-1 visa so I may be wrong, however this is how is seems to me...

okay with the visting this seems to be a grey area and people have had mixed sucess with this.. search for other peoples posts as plenty of people have written about this. Im not sure about the K1 but people tend to avoid doing this on the CR-1

As for the fianacial support, im afraid that im pretty sure that your income doesnt come into play, becuause it is non US based, if he doesnt make the required amount then you will probably look into getting a joint sponsor that does.

As for the embassy.. check the embassy website

All the best on your journey !!.. like I said most of our experience is with CR-1 and not K1 so there may be differences

6/14/06 - I-129f packet ready to send

6/15/06 - Decided to delay sending and use new form when available

6/28/06 - Finally mailed to Nebraska Service Center

7/20/06 - NOA1

9/20/06 - Touched for the very first time

9/21/06 - Email NOA2 wooohhooo faster than we had hoped for

9/25/06 - Snail Mail NOA2

9/25/06 - Received at NVC, verified with phone call

9/27/06 - Sent to embassy in Bangkok! Hoping my love will be here for the holidays!!!

9/30/06 - Arrived at embassy and waiting for packet 3

10/24/06 - Finally recieved packet 3

11/22/06 - Packet 3 sent to BKK embassy

11/24/06 - Embassy received packet 3

01/08/07 - Received packet 4 from BKK embassy

01/29/07 - Embassy Interview

01/30/07 - VISA in hand!!

02/05/07 - Returning to states with POE @ SFO

04/05/07 - Filed AOS

04/13/07 - NOA for I-485

06/15/07 - Biometrics

03/25/08 - Interview Date

04/04/08 - GC Received

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thank you very much for your reposnses, you've been very helpful : )

I wish someone had told me about DCF months ago before we filed our 129F -_-

It's not too late.... :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

This is totally uncalled for.

Regardless of how you cut it, distance is distance and it sucks regardless of if you haven't seen each other in 2 years or 2 minutes.

I'm so sick of people toting that some people are entitled to complain and others aren't. We're all in this process and should ALL be allowed to voice our impatience with it.

:star: Cass (bebop theg reat)

What can I say, Cass. Our case was filed in August of last year. That's just the way things go. It takes as long as it takes.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I'm sorry it is taking so long for your case.

But, this process sucks no matter what way you cut it.

Does it suck more for others? Yes, definitely.

Does that mean that those that may be more lucky aren't allowed to complain, and with good reason? No.

Again, we are all in this process together. And it no fun if takes you 6 weeks or 6 years. So no reason to snap at someone who has been waiting less than you, because no matter how long you've been waiting, I can bet there will always be someone waiting longer.

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

What can I say, Cass. Our case was filed in August of last year. That's just the way things go. It takes as long as it takes.

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Well, I'm sorry it is taking so long for your case.

But, this process sucks no matter what way you cut it.

Does it suck more for others? Yes, definitely.

Does that mean that those that may be more lucky aren't allowed to complain, and with good reason? No.

Again, we are all in this process together. And it no fun if takes you 6 weeks or 6 years. So no reason to snap at someone who has been waiting less than you, because no matter how long you've been waiting, I can bet there will always be someone waiting longer.

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

Cass, it's really too bad that the internet can't convey tone of voice. I don't snap, I'm simply matter-of-fact. I would infer that you're snapping at me, though...for no good reason. Please chill.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Homesick,

If you had not started your statement off with 'please.' then maybe it would have been considered factual or direct. The 'please' brought a sarcastic tone to the initial response. Add that 'you havent waited that long'. Days can seem like an eternity when your away from the one you love. Just because yours takes longer than some, does not mean than noone else should miss their babys. I took it just as cass did, completely uncalled for.

wolf

Edited by sbgwolf1

3/11/06 - 3/26/06 Visited my baby in the PI's

3/29/06 - K1 packet recieved at NSC

6/01/06 - Redirected to CSC

6/14/06 - CSC e-mailed confirmation on the reciept of file

6/23/06 - They they sent the IMBRA RFE

7/03/06 - The emailed that the IMBRA RFE went out on 6/23/06

7/03/06 - I received IMBRA RFE

7/05/06 - Touched

7/06/06 - Delivery Confirmation from the Post Office RFE recieved

7/11/06 - Email notification from CSC that IMBRA RFE Recieved

7/12/06 - Touched (but was to respond to an email that only said 'request recieved and will be processed within 30 days. argh)

7/13/06 - Touched

NOA2 September 11!!!

10/18/06 - Received at Embassy

12/23/06 - Recieved package with interview/medical schedule

01/08/06 - CFO interview/(pre-departure class) Complete

1/11/07 & 1/12/07 Medical complete

02/05/07 - Interview!!!

2/7/07 (2/8/07 manila) - Informed we are approved...3 days after interview.

2/12/07 Visa Received

2/16/07 Baby arrives in US!!!!!

4/14/07 Wedding

4/21/07 Filed AOS

Homesick,

If you had not started your statement off with 'please.' then maybe it would have been considered factual or direct. The 'please' brought a sarcastic tone to the initial response. Add that 'you havent waited that long'. Days can seem like an eternity when your away from the one you love. Just because yours takes longer than some, does not mean than noone else should miss their babys. I took it just as cass did, completely uncalled for.

wolf

Well, sbgwolf....I see a lot of whining about how long visas take to process, and some people start the complaining when they've only been at it a few months. I'm sorry, but I've been through lengthy separations with my husband...much longer than a few months...and I can't say that these stories break my heart. I sympathize, but I'm not going to agree that it's so UNFAIR that the US takes time to process visas while families are separated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.