aidan80

Getting a Job in Florida/USA...

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I’m sure this question and similar questions have been asked a million times already. I have to ask what people’s experience has been with obtaining employment here in Florida or in the US in general. :)

I received my EAD in late August and had at least two applications out the same week. It’s been almost 5 weeks and I’ve sent out about 6 or 7 applications in total, so far I’ve heard almost nothing!. I did have one interview & one phone call from a recruiter asking if I’d attend an interview some 250 miles away :blink: and that’s it. I’m starting to worry that maybe I’m due to end up working for minimum wedge if this trend continues. :hehe: I’m limited on where I can apply.. basically because we only have one car and one licensed driver who works 30 minutes away.

I’ve updated my CV and had my wife Americanize it long, long ago :D . I’ve also added to it that I’m employment authorized in the US. I’ve registered myself with just about every employment/recruitment type site out there such as Dice, Monster, Hot Jobs.. etc. I’ve also been checking the local papers and local cities employment pages almost daily!.. I don’t know what if anything I’m doing wrong? Is there something I’m missing? :huh:

Any advice, pointers would be most appreciated. :)

Edited by aidan80

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Other Timeline
I’m sure this question and similar questions have been asked a million times already. I have to ask what people’s experience has been with obtaining employment here in Florida or in the US in general. :)

I received my EAD in late August and had at least two applications out the same week. It’s been almost 5 weeks and I’ve sent out about 6 or 7 applications in total, so far I’ve heard almost nothing!. I did have one interview & one phone call from a recruiter asking if I’d attend an interview some 250 miles away :blink: and that’s it. I’m starting to worry that maybe I’m due to end up working for minimum wedge if this trend continues. :hehe: I’m limited on where I can apply.. basically because we only have one car and one licensed driver who works 30 minutes away.

I’ve updated my CV and had my wife Americanize it long, long ago :D . I’ve also added to it that I’m employment authorized in the US. I’ve registered myself with just about every employment/recruitment type site out there such as Dice, Monster, Hot Jobs.. etc. I’ve also been checking the local papers and local cities employment pages almost daily!.. I don’t know what if anything I’m doing wrong? Is there something I’m missing? :huh:

Don't get me wrong. But with your "efforts" it is normal that no one is answering. I am waiting for my greencard which is about to arrive and I gave away around 30 resumes last week and a similar amount this week.

You have to keep in mind that you don't have any work experience here. So you shouldn't be too picky.

Sometimes it is better to find some job first and later you can look for the job of your dreams. Of course you can also try to get something in the field you are in, but you should look also further if there is something similar.

Your amount of sent resumes is probably the main reason that you didn't hear anything so far.

Try also some job fairs and things like that.

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

Timeline

Don't get me wrong. But with your "efforts" it is normal that no one is answering. I am waiting for my greencard which is about to arrive and I gave away around 30 resumes last week and a similar amount this week.

You have to keep in mind that you don't have any work experience here. So you shouldn't be too picky.

Sometimes it is better to find some job first and later you can look for the job of your dreams. Of course you can also try to get something in the field you are in, but you should look also further if there is something similar.

Your amount of sent resumes is probably the main reason that you didn't hear anything so far.

Try also some job fairs and things like that.

Thank you for pointing out my inefficient “efforts” at finding employment. Well I hope you get your green card soon, I’m sure you’ll have a job in no time with sending out so many CV’s in such a short time frame :D . Actually I do have work experience here; it just wasn’t for that long. I’m trying not to be picky I’m being realistic as to exactly why types of work I can and can’t do. I can’t for example spend all day in the sun; the heat would kill me. I didn’t want my first job here being flipping burgers if I could help it although I may well have to do that soon enough. :P

That wasn’t an amount of sent resumes that was applications filled out for jobs that were listed in the paper or online! I’ve sent quite a few resumes to various places that I didn’t count because they weren’t applications for a listed job, just an attempt to find a job. Everything I’ve applied for so far is in my chosen field, where I have the most qualifications and experience and the best chance of obtaining employment.

The reason I can’t just send out a million resumes is simple, my wife is the only one with a driver license and we only have one car. She starts work at 7:30am every morning & drives 30 minutes. I’m fairly limited on the locations I can apply to unless we both want to spend the rest of our lives at work or traveling to or from work. :(

I don’t know but, I didn’t move here and get married to spend the rest of my life at work or going to & from work!

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

I live in Florida and Florida usually has many jobs available, it really depends on what your specialty is.

1/12/06 Mail I-129f express mail

1/13/06 TSC rec'd

1/23/06 NOA1 from CSC

1/27/06 - Check cleared

7/10/06 - NOA2

7/14/06- rec'd @ NVC

8/14/06- NVC sent petition to Consulate

8/17/06 - Korean Consulate rec'd Petition

8/23/06 - rec'd packet 3 from Consulate

8/25/06 - sent packet 3 back to Consulate

8/27/06 - got confirmation email from Consulate, they rec'd packet three

8/27/06 - requested interview date via Consulate internet site.

9/1/06 - Checked internet site for interveiw date, it was there

9/25/06 - Interview date - APPROVED

9/28/06 - Visa in Zaeems Hand - YEAHHHHH

1/6/07 - leaving for USA

1/20/07 - Wedding Date

1/20/07 - MARRIED!!!!!

2/10/07 - rec'd certified copy of marriage license

AOS

3/13/07 - AOS package rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

3/20/07 - Rec'd Social Security Card

3/21/07 - Checks Cashed and Case Status online

3/24/07 - NOA1 Rec'd for AOS and EAD

3/27/07 - rec'd Biometrics appt letter - scheduled for 4/20/07 @ 11:00am

4/02/07 - "touched"

4/20/07 - had biometrics appt.

4/21/07 - rec'd letter stating case was transferred to CSC

5/22/07 - rec'd Case Pending at CSC email

6/25/07 - EAD card production ordered

7/7/07 - EAD "touched"

7/7/07 - AOS "touched"

8-6-07 - Rec'd EAD Card in the Mail

5-20-08 - AOS INTERVIEW - APPROVED - PASSPORT STAMPED

7-2-10 - Received 10 year green card in mail

Are you near the Magical World of Diznee? Maybe you can apply there?

Alternatively, get an evening/night time job so you can use the car. It's easy to get a drivers license in the USA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

us_tx_2faws_small.gif Lauren - Texas, USA and James - England, UK 3dflagsdotcom_uk_2faws.gif

28th May 06 - Arrive in Texas!

8th July 06 - Married!!!

3rd August 06 - EAD received at USCIS

29th August 06 - Biometrics

18th September 06 - Case (AOS) transfered to CSC on 9/14 (advised by mail)

4/6/10th October 06 - EAD touched!

11th October 06 - Email from USCIS - EAD Approved on 10/10! Card on the way!

16th October 06 - EAD card received!

16th October 06 - EAD Application email received confirming letter to be sent.

22nd February 07 - Email sent to USCIS requesting an update.

5th March 07 - Case touched! AOS is now "pending" at the CSC! Progress!

5th March 07 - Email from CSC confirming I am awaiting the results of the FBI name check.

27th April 07 - Email received. A notice requesting additional info has been mailed.

4th May 07 - RFE letter arrived.

21st May 07 - RFE docs returned to USCIS by mail.

6th June 07 - Email from CRIS saying RFE received and case processing has resumed!

26th June 07 - Phone call from a USCIS officer at the CSC in California asking for a copy of my I-94 by fax.

27th June 07 - InfoPass appointment at 745am.

12th August 07 - Email from CRIS - Green Card on order as of 8/11!

15th August 07 - Email from CRIS - Welcome Notice sent.

18th August 07 - Welcome Notice Received.

20th August 07 - GC received!

Timeline

We’re about an hour and a half from Orlando, not close enough to Disney for it to be a real possibility. Although I have looked at it and given it some serious thought. Anyway I’d need to be a rally driver in order to maneuver traffic alone in Orlando :huh: without getting run over by some idiot. I’ve heard it’s easy to get a license; it isn’t so easy to find the time and an available car to get lessons, It’ll happen in time! :)

My specialty is general onsite IT support. That’s where most of my experience and qualifications are. That’s the jobs I’ve been targeting so far. I’ve also started to target general office type work and the big chain stores like office depot, target and wal mart.

I’d love to get an evening/night job if I could use the car but when would I get too see the wife and make babies :lol: ? I did get married for a reason :D ! I’ve actually just applied online for weekend job scanning documents possibility minimum wedge! I hope I get an interview for this one? :angry:

Thanks all so far for your help! :)

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

It took me about a month and a half after getting my EAD to get a job offer...it was a tough slog for a whilst. I sent out hundreds of resumes, and got virtually no responses. But I did end up getting a job I enjoyed, and got a very nice promotion six months into it.

Good luck!

01/10/05 - Arrived back in US

01/26/05 - Got Married! WooHoo!

02/14/05 - Had Medical Exam

02/22/05 - Filed for AOS in Seattle, in person

03/31/05 - Got EAD!!

04/02/05 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

05/19/05 - AOS Interview - awaiting decision...

08/24/05 - (conditional) Permanent Resident

09/08/05 - Passport stamped in Seattle

09/19/05 - Recieved actual Greencard! YAY!!!

05/24/07 - 90 days to remove conditions starts!

06/02/07 - Filed I-751, California Service Center

08/09/07 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

08/28/07 - I-751 Approved & conditions are removed!

09/12/07 - Recieved 10 year Greencard! YEAH!!!

*now contemplating N-400 and citizenship*

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
We’re about an hour and a half from Orlando, not close enough to Disney for it to be a real possibility. Although I have looked at it and given it some serious thought. Anyway I’d need to be a rally driver in order to maneuver traffic alone in Orlando :huh: without getting run over by some idiot. I’ve heard it’s easy to get a license; it isn’t so easy to find the time and an available car to get lessons, It’ll happen in time! :)

My specialty is general onsite IT support. That’s where most of my experience and qualifications are. That’s the jobs I’ve been targeting so far. I’ve also started to target general office type work and the big chain stores like office depot, target and wal mart.

I’d love to get an evening/night job if I could use the car but when would I get too see the wife and make babies :lol: ? I did get married for a reason :D ! I’ve actually just applied online for weekend job scanning documents possibility minimum wedge! I hope I get an interview for this one? :angry:

Hey aidan,

What part of florida are you in? I am in the same situation, had one phone interview this week. Nothing came of it. I must have applied for 40 jobs in the last two weeks. I may have to just go for any IT job to get experience here and then 6 months from now go for my dream job. I have done exactly the same as you. I have even applied for IT helpdesk positions that require less than a years experience. Hang in there. I hope you get something soon as i know how much it sucks not to be working. You are too talented to end up working in walmart not that there is anything wrong with that but you know what i mean.

Edited by Donal78

I-751 - Removal of conditions

10-20-2008 - Sent package via usps - overnite mail

10-22-2008 - Package received and signed.

10-28-2008 - Cheque cashed

12-02-2008 - Biometrics in Boston

10-03-2009 - Transferred to CSV

10-04-2009 - 10 year GC on the way

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Also wondering what part of FL you are in. Near Lakeland? When Sujeet was looking for a new IT job, he got connected with a couple staffing companies. He got his new job through Kforce. His past job he got through Veredus. Also he had connected with Rita staffing(I think that's what it was called). He was told many times of IT opportunities in Lakeland at a Publix distribution/business center where they hire lots of IT people. (Publix is a good grocery store chain) But I don't know where you are located. Lakeland was too far from us for Sujeet to consider it, but the pay seemed good there. I think for IT, staffing companies are the way to go around here. They seem to get all the inside scoops and have lots of jobs you'll never see advertised.

It matters how skilled you are too. Sujeet has a masters degree from India and has been doing this kind of stuff for maybe 7 years now. After getting his EAD it took about 2 months until he started his 1st job. Then it took him about 3 months of searching until he got this new job(he stayed at the other until starting the new). We are near the Tampa area.

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Timeline
It took me about a month and a half after getting my EAD to get a job offer...it was a tough slog for a whilst. I sent out hundreds of resumes, and got virtually no responses. But I did end up getting a job I enjoyed, and got a very nice promotion six months into it.

Good luck!

That’s good, at least now I know it’s normal over here to be ignored when you send out CV’s. It must be just me but back home I don’t remember being ignored quite so much when I’ve sent in applications for open positions. :blink: ah well..

Looks like I should just bombard the area with CV’s, along and close to the rout my wife travels to work. :P

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Timeline

Hey aidan,

What part of florida are you in? I am in the same situation, had one phone interview this week. Nothing came of it. I must have applied for 40 jobs in the last two weeks. I may have to just go for any IT job to get experience here and then 6 months from now go for my dream job. I have done exactly the same as you. I have even applied for IT helpdesk positions that require less than a years experience. Hang in there. I hope you get something soon as i know how much it sucks not to be working. You are too talented to end up working in walmart not that there is anything wrong with that but you know what i mean.

We’re in central Florida about an hour and a half outside Orlando. 40 jobs, good god! At least I know I’m not alone in being ignored for jobs! I thought discrimination was illegal :huh: ? It’s annoying my tits! I’d be happy to get any job in IT even if it ended up being at a wal-mar or office depot or a chain store.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I worked in Walt Disney World for 10 months, I worked in Epcot and it was great. I know you said it was quite a ways for you to travel to but I would definitely send your resume to them. They may have things in I.T where you could go in once or twice a week and then work from home etc for the rest, it's just an idea. I loved working for them and although I left to move back to england and do the K-1 visa I found that having disney on my resume has been at least a conversation starter and was great when i applied for jobs back home. Alternatively you may just have to take any job that comes your way, I believe there is a saying "it's easier to find a new job when you already have a job than when you have no job", or something to that effect.

Timeline

Also wondering what part of FL you are in. Near Lakeland? When Sujeet was looking for a new IT job, he got connected with a couple staffing companies. He got his new job through Kforce. His past job he got through Veredus. Also he had connected with Rita staffing(I think that's what it was called). He was told many times of IT opportunities in Lakeland at a Publix distribution/business center where they hire lots of IT people. (Publix is a good grocery store chain) But I don't know where you are located. Lakeland was too far from us for Sujeet to consider it, but the pay seemed good there. I think for IT, staffing companies are the way to go around here. They seem to get all the inside scoops and have lots of jobs you'll never see advertised.

It matters how skilled you are too. Sujeet has a masters degree from India and has been doing this kind of stuff for maybe 7 years now. After getting his EAD it took about 2 months until he started his 1st job. Then it took him about 3 months of searching until he got this new job(he stayed at the other until starting the new). We are near the Tampa area.

We’re not far from Lakeland although I think it’s in the opposite direction from were my wife works. I’ll have to check map quest or google earth to be sure :P . I’m still not even 100% sure which way is up and down in this place :lol: ! Thanks I’ll have to check out those companies!

I don’t have exactly have a masters degree but I think 5 and a half years is a decent enough amount of experience in onsite just about every day desktop support. Back home I managed a few small networks, wired and wireless bridged each on their own subnet with independent ADSL net connections and basic websites. It was fairly standard and small after I was initially trained. I was employed and initially trained out of school by a large UK based company. I’ve also taken numerous classes back home in Information Communications Technology since 1997 until around 2004. I think I’ve covered everything that wasn’t programming! I’ve plenty of experience, enough qualifications. Well, i hope i do at least! :hehe:

I worked in Walt Disney World for 10 months, I worked in Epcot and it was great. I know you said it was quite a ways for you to travel to but I would definitely send your resume to them. They may have things in I.T where you could go in once or twice a week and then work from home etc for the rest, it's just an idea. I loved working for them and although I left to move back to england and do the K-1 visa I found that having disney on my resume has been at least a conversation starter and was great when i applied for jobs back home. Alternatively you may just have to take any job that comes your way, I believe there is a saying "it's easier to find a new job when you already have a job than when you have no job", or something to that effect.

I’d seriously send in a CV to Disney but there’s no job and no amount of money that would ever make me insane enough to want to drive through that traffic in Orlando. We’ve had more close shaves in Orlando traffic than that guy on the Gillette TV advert back home :lol: ! I almost dread us having to drive through that insanity again for my AOS interview! :wacko:

I’m sure something will come up soon.. Even if it’s at a chain store it’d be something and something is always better than nothing.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi,

I am in the same situation here. I've been actively looking for a job for 2 months already. Had about 10 interviews so far, and got 3 denials this week! :crying:

Two applications pending for a government job... (After about two months of silence from their side I suddenly got a letter that they URGENTLY need my transcripts. OK, I sent them out, hope it helps me to get the job!).

I only managed to get a 3-day assignment with a staffing agency :whistle:

Well, I had one real job offer, but I do not drive on freeways. It was too expensive and time-consuming for my husband to give me a ride each day. And the job was not actually my dream job, and paid only a little more than minimal wage. :( Is minimal wage ok for someone wuth an American MBA???

I badly need encouragement :help:

Timeline
Hi,

I am in the same situation here. I've been actively looking for a job for 2 months already. Had about 10 interviews so far, and got 3 denials this week! :crying:

Two applications pending for a government job... (After about two months of silence from their side I suddenly got a letter that they URGENTLY need my transcripts. OK, I sent them out, hope it helps me to get the job!).

I only managed to get a 3-day assignment with a staffing agency :whistle:

Well, I had one real job offer, but I do not drive on freeways. It was too expensive and time-consuming for my husband to give me a ride each day. And the job was not actually my dream job, and paid only a little more than minimal wage. :( Is minimal wage ok for someone wuth an American MBA???

I badly need encouragement :help:

It could always be worse, I’m sure something will come up soon enough. :D

I’m about to send out another 3 applications tomorrow for office type work and I’ll probably leave more resumes into various IT businesses as well. Lets not forget picking up an application at Wal-Mart and just about every other chain store that has anything close to a computer department. :hehe:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.