Mia.Gaga

B2 Visa denied, want to use ESTA

61 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is very unusual for a non retiree to qualify for a B2.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I cannot go 6 months withot seeing my boyfriend.

you certainly can. i think you meant to say 'ideally, i wouldnt have to go six months without seeing my boyfriend.'

many k1 veterans have survived time apart. i think our longest was 1.5 years. that was utterly wretched. but that was 5 years ago. now hes sleeping on the couch just a few feet away from me. much nicer.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Hey, I am also from the UK and after a few 3 month visits to my now wife I applied for a B2 tourist visa so I could stay a full 6 months. I went to the London embassy and was denied under 214b (lack of ties to home country).

I did however fly a short while later under the visa waiver programme for 3 months or so. As I had a denied visa it did flag me at immigration and I did go for further screening at MSP airport but was allowed through. I even visited again after filing our K1 and yet again went for further questioning at POE in MSP but was still allowed through.

So chin up. I don't know if it has changed since the ESTA came about but maybe find out. Bottom line is you can figure something out and maybe have him visit. In the UK you can visit for 6 months (if it hasn't changed) without a visa.

Hope this helps,

Luke

us_uk_flag-1.jpg

Our Timeline...
06-03-2007. Met Online
07-09-2007. Met in Person in the US
07-04-2008. WE GOT ENGAGED!!!

I-129F Timeline...

12-15-2008. Sent I-129F Petition to CSC
12-18-2008. NOA1. Money order cashed
05-22-2009. NOA2 APPROVED!
09-16-2009. Medical
09-28-2009. Interview. APPROVED!!!
10-06-2009. Visa received
10-10-2009. U.S. Entry
11-07-2009. Wedding

AOS Timeline...
11-30-2009. Sent AOS
12-07-2009. NOA1
01-07-2010. Biometrics appointment
01-12-2010. Transferred to CSC
02-17-2010. I-485 Card Production Ordered & Welcome Notice Sent
02-26-2010. GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!!

ROC Timeline...
12-28-2011. Sent ROC
12-29-2011. NOA1
02-15-2012. Biometrics appointment (Walk in on 01-26-2012)
06-06-2012. ROC APPROVED!!!
06-19-2012. 10 YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!!

Citizenship Timeline...
11-27-2012. Sent N-400
11-29-2012. NOA1
12-28-2012. Biometrics appointment
01-11-2013. In line for interview
01-28-2013. Notice of Interview Scheduled (Letter in mailbox 02-01-3013)
03-01-2013. Interview
05-08-2013. OATH DATE!
IM A CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey, I am also from the UK and after a few 3 month visits to my now wife I applied for a B2 tourist visa so I could stay a full 6 months. I went to the London embassy and was denied under 214b (lack of ties to home country).

I did however fly a short while later under the visa waiver programme for 3 months or so. As I had a denied visa it did flag me at immigration and I did go for further screening at MSP airport but was allowed through. I even visited again after filing our K1 and yet again went for further questioning at POE in MSP but was still allowed through.

So chin up. I don't know if it has changed since the ESTA came about but maybe find out. Bottom line is you can figure something out and maybe have him visit. In the UK you can visit for 6 months (if it hasn't changed) without a visa.

Hope this helps,

Luke

It's nice to read the success stories, how did you get to fly under the visa waiver programme because once your denied a visa, they say you cannot use that?

Timeline

Letters from anyone are just.....letters....they do not prove anything more than somebody sat down at a word processor and typed out a letter....any letter is NOT legally binding on anyone, carries NO penalties for non-compliance...and medical appointments can be changed 3 seconds after obtaining a visa...what value are those? Zero. Sure, you may have returned via ESTA...but now suddenly you need a 4 month stay instead of 3...something is not being revealed....and why can't said boyfriend come to the UK? (besides the usual stories that airlines only have flights FROM the UK to the US....or....'he's so busy at work, he cannot take off' (which, if for 4-6 months, would be true...because we don't get 4-6 months of paid vacation from our jobs).....

I am going by what the lady at the interview said, she said if i had a letter from my employer it would of helped. I mean all i can do is bring a headed paper letter, i work for the local government so it will have their logos on it. I am also not saying i am getting a paid vaction, i am taking unpaid vaction for 2 months and i am able to support myself because i have savings and a second income because i rent my house. Because now i am happy to travel for only 2 months instead of 6 ... but would like to find a way around this instead of having to go back to the embassy, because it is no longer a extended tourist Visa that i want.

Timeline

Hi i went to the UK American embassy to get a extended tourist visa but was denied under 214b (lack of ties to home country). I have an approved ESTA that i use to use before i went for my interview ... am i not allowed to use this now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You would need to update ESTA, and I bet when you do, it will deny you.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Hi i went to the UK American embassy to get an extended tourist visa but was denied under 214b (lack of ties to home country). I have an approved ESTA that I use to use before I went for my interview ... am I not allowed to use this now?

Also if the answer to that is no … then how do I now go about being able to travel on a ESTA. I am a frequent traveler and have entered the US many times on my ESTA and have never out stayed. I have very strong ties to my country, but just didn’t have the documentation with me on the day of my interview. For example I have a good job, I own a house, I have many savings accounts with a good amount of savings. I have my whole family here.

Please help as I want to be able to travel again to the US but I am worried that I will have to go back to the Embassy again and it cost $140 to have a interview, while it is only around $14 to get an ESTA. Please advise me. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** 3 topics on the B2 denied/ ESTA issue merged. Please do not start more than one topic on an issue; instead, ask follow-up questions and provide updates here *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Few people get 4+ months of paid vacation...and your obvious desire to spend an extended amount of time with your 'family friend' strongly suggests a looming change of mind, marriage and AOS...this salient fact won't be resolved nor the VOs fooled by you suddenly requesting a visit for 'only' two months, since on your most recent application, you expressed a strong interest in remaining beyond that allowed by the VWP...and the VOs know that a B2 visitor is routinely admitted for six months, not two, so this oft tried strategem will not likely succeed.

Noah, mate. She said she has the offer of a career break. That's not "paid vacation" - it's unpaid leave - with your job still there for you when you return. Relatively common in the UK, and something that VOs will be well aware of.

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

Filed: Timeline

Noah, mate. She said she has the offer of a career break. That's not "paid vacation" - it's unpaid leave - with your job still there for you when you return. Relatively common in the UK, and something that VOs will be well aware of.

and thus such a career break in whatever form is no longer a tie to one's country of residence...there is NO legal requirement that said employer take back the vacationing employee...a house can be rented out from anywhere on the planet and savings in a bank can be withdrawn 5 seconds after obtaining a visa....sounds more like somebody wants an actual visa, one from which AOS can take place...and this sudden and miraculous desire to spend 'only' two months in the US instead of the six requested just moments ago will look and sound just too coincidental to be believed (and this strategem has been tried over and over and over...it is not a new one)

Hi i went to the UK American embassy to get an extended tourist visa but was denied under 214b (lack of ties to home country). I have an approved ESTA that I use to use before I went for my interview ... am I not allowed to use this now?

Also if the answer to that is no … then how do I now go about being able to travel on a ESTA. I am a frequent traveler and have entered the US many times on my ESTA and have never out stayed. I have very strong ties to my country, but just didn’t have the documentation with me on the day of my interview. For example I have a good job, I own a house, I have many savings accounts with a good amount of savings. I have my whole family here.

Please help as I want to be able to travel again to the US but I am worried that I will have to go back to the Embassy again and it cost $140 to have a interview, while it is only around $14 to get an ESTA. Please advise me. Thanks.

You cannot use ESTA again, unfortunately the only way for you to visit the US ever again is to apply for tourist visa through the embassy for now.

Read this https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1074/~/esta-application-denied

ESTA is just an electronic pre-screener for your eligibility to travel on VWP. It is done by machine, when you answer yes to the question that you have been denied visa before, it is almost automatically guaranteed that your ESTA application will be denied. I also don't believe that there is a time-limit on your ESTA red flag. I am pretty sure you will keep getting denied until you go through the embassy.

Persons who have had their visa application denied has a red flag on them. It is very likely that the US wants a human consular officer to assess the person's circumstances and eligibility for the US visa. If the consular office is convinced that the person poses no immigration threat to the country, you will be issued a non-immigrant visa and THEN I believe your ESTA eligibility will be restored, so you can travel on the subsequent trip on VWP.

Just my theory, make sense? :whistle:

Edited by GandK

Timeline

and thus such a career break in whatever form is no longer a tie to one's country of residence...there is NO legal requirement that said employer take back the vacationing employee...a house can be rented out from anywhere on the planet and savings in a bank can be withdrawn 5 seconds after obtaining a visa....sounds more like somebody wants an actual visa, one from which AOS can take place...and this sudden and miraculous desire to spend 'only' two months in the US instead of the six requested just moments ago will look and sound just too coincidental to be believed (and this strategem has been tried over and over and over...it is not a new one)

I get what you are saying but what more to them can I offer ... like my whole family lives in the UK. I have lived here all my life. They want to see ties, my ties include a well paid job that i will not give up, my house, my entire family, my brother is having a baby i will be god mother. I have appointments to see my surgeon. If this aint strong ties i really do not know what else is. Also the reason i have now changed from 6 months to 2 months is it grantees my job when i get back. Where as the career break for 6 months did not.

Timeline

You cannot use ESTA again, unfortunately the only way for you to visit the US ever again is to apply for tourist visa through the embassy for now.

Read this https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1074/~/esta-application-denied

ESTA is just an electronic pre-screener for your eligibility to travel on VWP. It is done by machine, when you answer yes to the question that you have been denied visa before, it is almost automatically guaranteed that your ESTA application will be denied. I also don't believe that there is a time-limit on your ESTA red flag. I am pretty sure you will keep getting denied until you go through the embassy.

Persons who have had their visa application denied has a red flag on them. It is very likely that the US wants a human consular officer to assess the person's circumstances and eligibility for the US visa. If the consular office is convinced that the person poses no immigration threat to the country, you will be issued a non-immigrant visa and THEN I believe your ESTA eligibility will be restored, so you can travel on the subsequent trip on VWP.

Just my theory, make sense? :whistle:

Yes that does make sense ... its just such a long procedure :(

Filed: Timeline

I get what you are saying but what more to them can I offer ... like my whole family lives in the UK. I have lived here all my life. They want to see ties, my ties include a well paid job that i will not give up, my house, my entire family, my brother is having a baby i will be god mother. I have appointments to see my surgeon. If this aint strong ties i really do not know what else is. Also the reason i have now changed from 6 months to 2 months is it grantees my job when i get back. Where as the career break for 6 months did not.

Yet you have a K1 pending...which suggests that sometime in the near future, all of the above will be rendered moot as far as ties to the UK go. it is difficult to have it both ways.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.