Timeline

Are Affidavits necessary? I've gathered the following:

Joint Car Insurance

Joint Health Insurance cards

Bank Statement

Pictures

Drivers' Licenses

Tax Return for 2010

I really wanted to submit this tomorrow but I'm wondering if I need more evidence?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

No they are not necessary. I think they are only needed if you don't have any other evidence. We sent financial evidence. Joint bank accounts, joint deeds, joint car and health insurance etc. A few photos and details of flights we have taken together over the last 2 years. The NOA 1 gives you a one year extension on your greencard (while they process it) and it asks that if you have not already done so to send in documents. It gives a list of financial documents and does not mention affidavits. So I take that to mean they don't really want them.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

It's a matter of opinion (and possibly a little contentious!) around here, but personally I would opt to include affidavits. In your case, it looks like you don't have much proof of cohabitation. Are both of your names on the lease / mortgage? Also, remember that they want to see proof from various stages of the relationship since you've been in the U.S. So submitting only recent copies of things might not fly.

Since affidavits don't need to be notarized (i.e.: can be done for free), it's MY opinion that they can't hurt your I-751 package, as they will bolster the other evidence you have.

Good luck either way. :)

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

I know people who received RFE for not sending Affidavits, and instead of getting a full 10yr GC got a 1yr extension. As other members noted there is not need to notorized, I would get affidavits and send it all together. Better be safe then sorry.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Timeline

And as they don't need to be notarized you could have written them yourself so they aren't really a great form of evidence.

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Timeline

Although as others say it can't help sending them. It looks like it's taking VCS 6-8 months to process I-751 so waiting a few days to get more evidence together won't really make that much difference.

And as they don't need to be notarized you could have written them yourself so they aren't really a great form of evidence.

The instructions for I-751 reads that affidavit of support is required. And such people may require to testify before an IO. So I would say they have to be done no matter what.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

I know people who received RFE for not sending Affidavits, and instead of getting a full 10yr GC got a 1yr extension. As other members noted there is not need to notorized, I would get affidavits and send it all together. Better be safe then sorry.

???

a one year extension? if you mean the letter you get after USCIS has received your i-751, that is standard procedure.

this sounds a bit far-fetched. care to elaborate?

if you feel that your evidence of cohabitation and financial comingling is strong, affadavits are not necessary. if you feel that your evidence needs support, they are an option.

if you are in a bona fide marriage, you will not have much difficulty convincing USCIS of that if you submit an organized and complete package.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

The instructions for I-751 reads that affidavit of support is required. And such people may require to testify before an IO. So I would say they have to be done no matter what.

please post the source for this information.

this is (at least) the second time you have posted this. it is NOT ACCURATE.

affidavits are NOT REQUIRED but are accepted as a form of evidence for the i-751.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

please post the source for this information.

this is (at least) the second time you have posted this. it is NOT ACCURATE.

affidavits are NOT REQUIRED but are accepted as a form of evidence for the i-751.

Please read instructions for I-751 here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-751instr.pdf

Page 2. Bullet 5.

I would say it is pretty strong information that would urge applicants to get it.

event.png

event.png

???

a one year extension? if you mean the letter you get after USCIS has received your i-751, that is standard procedure.

this sounds a bit far-fetched. care to elaborate?

if you feel that your evidence of cohabitation and financial comingling is strong, affadavits are not necessary. if you feel that your evidence needs support, they are an option.

if you are in a bona fide marriage, you will not have much difficulty convincing USCIS of that if you submit an organized and complete package.

I am not talking about a letter. My friends received a new GC which is valid only for one year. As well as they received an RFE to submit an Affidavit from friends. They do have a bona fide marriage, they own a house, car, etc... and have a child together. And still were required to submit it. So as I always say: "Better be safe then sorry".

event.png

event.png

Please read instructions for I-751 here: http://www.uscis.gov.../i-751instr.pdf

Page 2. Bullet 5.

Nope. You are reading way too much into that.

Where does it say that the documents listed in those 5 bullet points MUST be produced? The only MUST about the affidavit, is that if you include one, it MUST be the original.

The bullet points are examples of good documents to provide - nothing more. The onus is on the applicant to provide the strongest evidence possible, but the key phrase is:

"Submit copies of as many documents as you wish, to establish this fact and to demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of marriage to the present date"

If an applicant wants to submit an affidavit, that's their choice. It is NOT mandatory.

Edited by N M

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

they are NOT required. many, many successful ROCers have been approved WITHOUT affidavits.

actually, very little is required for the ROC application.

1. the application itself

2. the fee

from there you need to prove financial comingling, cohabitation and bona fide marriage. this can be accomplished in a variety of ways, as listed in the instructions for the i-751. also note that the VJ guide for ROC addresses this issue as have many many many threads.

it is fine if people are more comfortable including them in their package, but it is not mandatory in any way shape or form.

failing to include them will not lead to an automatic (or even increased likelihood) of an RFE, an interview, a denial or a mysterious one year green card.

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Filed: Timeline

Are Affidavits necessary? I've gathered the following:

Joint Car Insurance

Joint Health Insurance cards

Bank Statement

Pictures

Drivers' Licenses

Tax Return for 2010

I really wanted to submit this tomorrow but I'm wondering if I need more evidence?

Thanks!

I'd recommend tossing in your tax returns for as long as you were married if possible. 3 years of tax returns will add a lot of weight to your file and will be far more effective than any affidavits you're worrying about.

Nope. You are reading way too much into that.

Where does it say that the documents listed in those 5 bullet points MUST be produced? The only MUST about the affidavit, is that if you include one, it MUST be the original.

The bullet points are examples of good documents to provide - nothing more. The onus is on the applicant to provide the strongest evidence possible, but the key phrase is:

"Submit copies of as many documents as you wish, to establish this fact and to demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of marriage to the present date"

If an applicant wants to submit an affidavit, that's their choice. It is NOT mandatory.

I might be reading way to much. But as I said better be safe then sorry. I submitted as much as I could with my I-129F and didn't got an RFE. If I have a way to avoid any questioning from the USCIS I will do that.

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.