El Cachalote

Airline prices to South America

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Prices are outrageous these days, unfortunately for the OP that flight offer ($600) ended the 12th :S it was like a unique opportunity, I hope you find a cheaper flight soon. I've been searching this two months with no luck at all :S

Much thanks D&G....I'll keep searching and if I find anything good...I'll let everyone know in our forum.

Sincerely,

Magnus

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Check Spirit Airlines; they fly to Lima, Peru and have some damn good prices starting at 359.00 from/To Chicago (transfer FT. Lauderdale). Don't know where your located, but something to look when it comes to a good fare and a safe airline. Good Luck

Timeline

Check Spirit Airlines; they fly to Lima, Peru and have some damn good prices starting at 359.00 from/To Chicago (transfer FT. Lauderdale). Don't know where your located, but something to look when it comes to a good fare and a safe airline. Good Luck

I'm in D.C., I'll look at Spirit but was hoping to use my AA frequent flier miles for my wife's journey here (fingers crossed).

Thanks,

Malik

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I appreciate this discussion my fellow S.A. , andean VJers...

last year tickets to quito came down in beginning of feb. currently they ARE at approx 1000.00

Yes, Ecuador's prices are up there. One of my girlfriends is planning a trip to visit family there & has been waiting for prices to 'drop' but they haven't. :(

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

That's not so bad, L's last trip to Brasil was $2025. Suffice it to say, he doesn't get to go back often :(

Edited by K and L

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Well all,

The wife's visa's be approved. She's leaving Lima for Iquitos to spend time with her parents...for about a month.

So...I've that much time to book a flight (more or less) and right now...tickets to Lima, Peru (from Wash.DC) are hovering around $1500!

This is incredible and ridiculous.

All the mess with Iran and the pipeline may be contributing to this...but it's off-peak now.

You would think the airlines would have some deals!

Nada!

Sincerely,

Magnus

Edited by El Cachalote

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Ugh! Even domestic flights are getting to be three times higher than they used to be for some routes. I will cross my fingers that you find something acceptable soon!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Magnus, look for tickets in March. I just ran a CheapTickets search and the roundtrip from DC to Lima starts at about $850.00. I know you might not want to wait that long but you'll wind up saving a lot.

And it's not off-peak, as December/January/February/Early March are popular times for travel to Peru because of the summer weather. I went in August once, the weather stunk (dreary, cloudy) but my tickets were $475.00 round trip. October was also a cheap month to go.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Final Update: For my wife's ticket from Lima to Washington, D.C., one-way, I used 35000 AA advantage miles and in the end paid $50 for taxes and fees.

My ticket from D.C. to Lima cost $1015. I had been watching the fare consistantly for weeks. It jumped up to $1300 on weekends and dropped to a low of $975 early on Tuesday mornings. I purchased my far the following Wednesday before it returned to nearly $1300.

I stuck with American Airlines because I've ammased a bunch of miles with them.

Fare well in all your ticket purchases!

Sincerely,

Magnus

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Final Update: For my wife's ticket from Lima to Washington, D.C., one-way, I used 35000 AA advantage miles and in the end paid $50 for taxes and fees.

My ticket from D.C. to Lima cost $1015. I had been watching the fare consistantly for weeks. It jumped up to $1300 on weekends and dropped to a low of $975 early on Tuesday mornings. I purchased my far the following Wednesday before it returned to nearly $1300.

I stuck with American Airlines because I've ammased a bunch of miles with them.

Fare well in all your ticket purchases!

Sincerely,

Magnus

My husband also booked his flight to Colombia with our AA miles and when he checked in online this morning was pretty shocked to see that the charge for a second bag is now $70 when it used to be free of charge, which means it's an additional $140 round-trip. :wacko:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Yeah Diana,

American started that last year. How unfortunate. I have asked my wife to pack lightly because of this. And I am checking a grand maleta, carrying it down to Peru almost empty....so she can stuff it with her stuff.

So, I will check my grand maleta for gratis...my wife will check her big bag for free...and perhaps we will circumvent those 2nd checked bag fees. Perhaps not??

I am just glad she'll be coming.

I bought my ticket early because of events in the Middle East ( I am expecting the airlines to add another fuel surcharge soon!).

Sincerely,

Magnus

Timeline

My husband also booked his flight to Colombia with our AA miles and when he checked in online this morning was pretty shocked to see that the charge for a second bag is now $70 when it used to be free of charge, which means it's an additional $140 round-trip. :wacko:

Diana

Dear Diana,

If you can, print out your e-ticket confirmation from AA. On it, it will say this is a reciept for your ticket....it will also say that the fee for a second checked bag is $30...not $70. So, I believe if you or husband will argue the point of this contract at the counter...AA should concede. I know the AA website says, "for tickets purchased after.......you will pay $70 per second checked bag", but my e-ticket confirmation says $30 to and from South America. I plan to argue the point at the counter. Perhaps you can do the same because there's nothing to lose but money. We fly on 5 Abril. Pasa buen dia y buena suerte, Sincerely, Magnus (el cachalote).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Dear Diana,

If you can, print out your e-ticket confirmation from AA. On it, it will say this is a reciept for your ticket....it will also say that the fee for a second checked bag is $30...not $70. So, I believe if you or husband will argue the point of this contract at the counter...AA should concede. I know the AA website says, "for tickets purchased after.......you will pay $70 per second checked bag", but my e-ticket confirmation says $30 to and from South America. I plan to argue the point at the counter. Perhaps you can do the same because there's nothing to lose but money. We fly on 5 Abril. Pasa buen dia y buena suerte, Sincerely, Magnus (el cachalote).

Thanks Magnus, we thought about that but he bought his ticket last week and when we looked at it carefully before checking-in online, it said $70, so does their website. F-ers. :angry:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.