matt

Letters of Support

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I'm planning on getting a couple of letters of support from friends for the I-751. Do these need to be notorized?

Also....what is the best way to put all the evidence together. In a file or just clip/staple it all together?

Any idea how fast the NSC is?

Thanks!!

matt

I didn't get my letters notarized. I sent the documents in an acco clip with tabs, just how the K1 had to be filed. I can't imagine they would want to be dealing with files or staples.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

I'm planning on getting a couple of letters of support from friends for the I-751. Do these need to be notorized?

Also....what is the best way to put all the evidence together. In a file or just clip/staple it all together?

Any idea how fast the NSC is?

Thanks!!

matt

Before I sent in my I-751 I called the misinformation line to clarify. They told me that they do not have to be notarized, just signed and dated. I also tossed in a line about "I certify that the above information is correct".

I've never done the ACCO fastners that everyone seems so enthusiastic about. I've always just put everything in a blue pocket folder and it's worked out fine.

--------------------

Naturalization Timeline

28 JUL 2007 - Sent N-400 and supporting documentation

20 AUG 2007 - Bank Website indicates check has been cashed

15 NOV 2007 - Received NOA

28 NOV 2007 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter

18 DEC 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

14 MAR 2008 - Received Interview Appointment letter

05 APR 2008 - Interview (Baltimore) SUCCESS!!

14 APR 2008 - Citizenship Oath

17 APR 2008 - Applied for US Passport

03 May 2008 - US Passport Received!!!

**Any comments or advice given by me is based on the circumstances of my specific case, and does not infer an in-depth knowledge of immigration law.**

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I noticed some of the others had them notorized. I didnt bother, I looked over the I-751 form and it didnt state anythign about them being notarized. Besides they have those peoples contact info, too easy for them to call and verify it.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

I would not worry too much on that part its not compulsary to have support letters most people don't bother according to my Lawyer unless they really have no other evidence.

I am now filing and not going to bother.

I really want to give you the right answer but I don't know what is true.

I just reading alot about it too becuase I am also going to do it

Hope you goodluck ( and hope for myself too hehehe)

click here

Edited by kalaya

Timeline

The link you have there is not an official USCIS document, its just a few examples. When one looks at the I-751 instructions, it doesnt mention anythingabout the letters being notarized. Doesnt hurt to, but by the instructions not necesary. If they are in doubt, they can contact the individual. Just ensure the letters contain all the info stated on instructions

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-751.htm

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

To cover your bases, ask your friends to include this language at the end of their letter:

"I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the foregoing is true and correct. [date] [signature]."

It doesn't make any extra trouble or cost anything, but is the legal equivalent of a notarized signature.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Removing Conditions: Support Letters from Friends

Another proof that can be used is to have letters from relatives and friends that confirm that they think that your marriage is a happy one. The I-751 form stipulates that such letters should:

• Be done by a US citizen or permanent resident who has known you since the time of your wedding.

• List the date and place of birth, and contact information of the person signing the letter.

• The letter should have a notarized signature.

• At least two letters should be submitted. (you can of course submit more than two)

This is what I read from click here

Edited by kalaya

Timeline
Removing Conditions: Support Letters from Friends

Another proof that can be used is to have letters from relatives and friends that confirm that they think that your marriage is a happy one. The I-751 form stipulates that such letters should:

• Be done by a US citizen or permanent resident who has known you since the time of your wedding.

• List the date and place of birth, and contact information of the person signing the letter.

• The letter should have a notarized signature.

• At least two letters should be submitted. (you can of course submit more than two)

This is what I read from click here

Yes I realize that, but that isnt an official USCIS document. That page is just put together by a VJ member. You dont have to word your letter like that or your cover letter like that. On the link that I provided, which is a USCIS site, it makes no mention of it being notarized. Best of luck

True it does not say to notarize them, but: my undesrtanding is that (legally) an affidavit is only an affidavit if it's sworn in front of a notary (or judge or someone else like that). If it's sworn but not notarized (as Sherlock and hcj did), it's a certification. If it's neither sworn nor notarized, it's a letter.

My knowledge of this, before anyone asks, is based entirely on reading motions filed by attorneys that say "Please find attached the affidavit/certification/letter of Mary Jones." And the affidavits are sworn in front of a notary, the certifications just have that language about declaring under penalty of perjury, and the letters have neither. So maybe that's just want the terms mean in the federal courts in New Mexico.

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well, I'd hoped someone would help in getting that FAQ info corrected---there is actually quite a bito f I-751 FAQ stuff that needs doing (hellllooooo?). Anyway, the notarizing or not of these affidavits comes up frequently. I defer to the comments of an experienced (30+ years) immigration attorney who participates at avum-b

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread....highlight=jurat

"That said, you do a jurat before a notary OR you can use the magic language of "I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the forgoing is true and correct. [date] [signature]."

This is the legal equivalent of a notarized jurat."

Note that Folinskyinla does not think the affidavits are necessary, but we're not arguing that here.

A search of that grup of 'jurat' turned up a number of relevant threads, including this one:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread....highlight=jurat

"By definition, an "affidavit" must have a notarial "jurat" on it. However, the law also allows for substitution of a "declaration under penalty of perjury" in lieu of an affidavit. You just have to use the "magic words" for such a declaration."

I believe that it is because of this language, the I-864 no longer needs to be witnessed by a Notary Public.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.