Tim & Rocelle

"Original" documents

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone.

I have been trolling this site for some time as my girlfriend and I have been deciding on what our next step will be. We've finally decided that it's the right time to apply for the K-1 visa and begin our lives together!

I had a question that I didn't quite find an answer for on the forum or other web sites. For the INITIAL I-129F application, there are some things that say "original statements" such as the statement of intent from both parties of our intent to marry. Does "original" mean that it's just something that we write ourselves or does that mean that there has to be a copy from each of us with our original signature on it?

The reason I ask is that if we have to have these documents with the original signatures it will increase the time and cost (sending from her current residence in Dubai to here in the US) and I just want to make sure we're doing it the right way to avoid any costly mistakes.

Can all documents from my girlfriend be scanned and e-mailed to me so that I can submit those copies or does she have to send me copies with her original signature on them?

I hope this makes sense. I will be happy to clarify anything that is unclear.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Tim

1/7/12 - I-129F Sent to Dallas Lockbox

1/10/12 - Package delivered!

1/12/12 - Notice that package is being forwarded to Vermont Service Center

1/17/12 - NOA1 received!! Notice Date 01/11/2012

6/13/12 - NOA2 APPROVED! 5-months to the date of them receiving it.

6/21/12 - NVC Received (I think, I called on 22 early morning and it had an NVC case number already). Assigned an Abu Dhabi case number. Asked NVC what I needed to do to change consulates and followed the procedures exactly as they told me.

6/29/12 - NVC sent our case to the wrong consulate even though I followed every procedure to notify them of change-of-address

6/29/12 - Emailed both Abu Dhabi and Montreal to request transfer to the correct consulate (Montreal)

7/16/12 - Frustrated by no reply from Montreal, I contacted my local congressman asking for help

7/18/12 - Phone call from rep of the congressman offering me help, very nice people!

7/24/12 - Thanks to local congressman's help, Montreal officially requesting case from Abu Dhabi (one month delay but at least we're back on track)

8/06/12 - Abu Dhabi officially received request from Montreal

8/22/12 - Received Packet 3 email from Montreal. Started gathering final documents

9/14/12 - Received e-mail from Montreal to hold on to our Packet 3 because our case is being forward to Vancouver (GRRR!!!! MORE TIME! But lucky because we were sending packet 3 papers THAT NEXT DAY)

9/27/12 - Received packet 3 letter from Vancouver.

11/5/12 - Medical Interview (everything's ok, thank god)

11/20/12 - Interview appt at Vancouver Consulate - APPROVED!!!!!! THANK YOU GOD!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Can all documents from my girlfriend be scanned and e-mailed to me so that I can submit those copies or does she have to send me copies with her original signature on them?

Original signature required, for sure on the letter or intent but the G325A doesn't need one, but it best. FedEx can shorten the time for the long distance. If cost is a big issue, then you really really should look at the all the future costs you will incur with USCIS and more importantly when she begins to live here. A few bucks now is nothing compared to what you will have to outlay in the future. Just saying.

I hope this makes sense. I will be happy to clarify anything that is unclear.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Tim

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

When I sent in my I-129F petition, I had to get my fiance to write a letter from him stating that he was legally free and willing to marry me and it had to have his original signature. I don't know if a scanned copy will work, I errored on the safe side and got the snail mail version with the ink on the paper. The G-325A form will also need the ink to paper signature.

[size="2"][font="Tahoma"][b]Worth The Wait
[/b][/font][/size]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#ff0000"]Our Visa Journey
[/color][/size][size="2"][color="#000080"]I-129F Sent 5/6/11
I-129F NOA1 Received 5/11/11
I-129F RFE Received 9/8/11
I-129F RFE Returned 9/23/11
I-129F NOA2 Received 11/17/11
NVC Received from USCIS 11/21/11
NVC Sent to Embassy 11/25/11
Embassy Received 12/2/11
Packet 3.5 Received 12/8/11
Packet 3.5 Returned 12/22/11
Packet 4 Received 1/13/12
Medical Date 1/19/12
Interview Date 2/23/2012
Administrative Review 2/24/2012
Visa Issued 4/30/2012
Visa Received 5/4/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]POE Washington DC 5/21/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]Married 5/30/2012[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#ff0000"]Adjustment of Status (AOS) Journey [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]Packet including: I-485, I-765 and I-131 sent 11/7/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]Biometrics Completed: 12/18/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]EAD/AP Approved: 1/17/2013[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]EAD/AP Combo Card Received: 1/22/2013[/color][/size][/font]

Timeline

Thanks for the quick reply!

Cost isn't really THE issue but we're both just trying to minimize the costs where we can. I want to do everything 100% correct and if it costs extra, you're absolutely right, it's nothing compared to what it will cost in the future. We're both totally ok with that, we just don't want to pay for anything that's not really required.

Thanks again for the quick response!

6/21/12 - NVC Received (I think, I called on 22 early morning and it had an NVC case number already). Assigned an Abu Dhabi case number. Asked NVC what I needed to do to change consulates and followed the procedures exactly as they told me.

6/29/12 - NVC sent our case to the wrong consulate even though I followed every procedure to notify them of change-of-address

6/29/12 - Emailed both Abu Dhabi and Montreal to request transfer to the correct consulate (Montreal)

7/16/12 - Frustrated by no reply from Montreal, I contacted my local congressman asking for help

7/18/12 - Phone call from rep of the congressman offering me help, very nice people!

7/24/12 - Thanks to local congressman's help, Montreal officially requesting case from Abu Dhabi (one month delay but at least we're back on track)

8/22/12 - Received Packet 3 email from Montreal. Started gathering final documents

9/14/12 - Received e-mail from Montreal to hold on to our Packet 3 because our case is being forward to Vancouver (GRRR!!!! MORE TIME! But lucky because we were sending packet 3 papers THAT NEXT DAY)

11/20/12 - Interview appt at Vancouver Consulate - APPROVED!!!!!! THANK YOU GOD!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

What you really want to do is anything you can do to not get a Request For Evidence (RFE) which can cost you a lot of time. So by taking the extra step in having her mail you her original signature on this form you have atleast removed that as a case for an RFE.

The extra week or so it will take for her to mail those to you will be a good time for you to double check your petiton! :) HAHAH just trying to look on the bright side! LOL

Good Luck! :)

[size="2"][font="Tahoma"][b]Worth The Wait
[/b][/font][/size]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#ff0000"]Our Visa Journey
[/color][/size][size="2"][color="#000080"]I-129F Sent 5/6/11
I-129F NOA1 Received 5/11/11
I-129F RFE Received 9/8/11
I-129F RFE Returned 9/23/11
I-129F NOA2 Received 11/17/11
NVC Received from USCIS 11/21/11
NVC Sent to Embassy 11/25/11
Embassy Received 12/2/11
Packet 3.5 Received 12/8/11
Packet 3.5 Returned 12/22/11
Packet 4 Received 1/13/12
Medical Date 1/19/12
Interview Date 2/23/2012
Administrative Review 2/24/2012
Visa Issued 4/30/2012
Visa Received 5/4/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]POE Washington DC 5/21/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]Married 5/30/2012[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#ff0000"]Adjustment of Status (AOS) Journey [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]Packet including: I-485, I-765 and I-131 sent 11/7/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]Biometrics Completed: 12/18/2012[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]EAD/AP Approved: 1/17/2013[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][color="#000080"]EAD/AP Combo Card Received: 1/22/2013[/color][/size][/font]

Timeline

Thanks, Worth! Good advice, we will do whatever it takes to avoid RFE's. We both want to make sure it's done correctly. This is our first time (of course) to do any of this so it's all a new process (as it is to lots of people on here, I'm sure).

I'm glad we have this site to reference and bounce ideas/questions off of.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

OK heres what to do if ya want to save yourself an imense amount of time and also a lot of stress ... have your partner mail you her documents with her signature .. trust me you will be very glad at waiting the extra week or so and it shouldnt cost that much to send via airmail .. its a drawn out process as it is. ya definatley and i mean definatly dont wana make it even more arduaous than it already is ..

I-129F sent July 16, 2011

NOA1 - July 21, 2011

NOA2 - December 8, 2011 (text & email with hardcopy to follow)

Packet 3 - January 5, 2012

Medical - February 20, 2012

Packet 3 sent to Embassy - February 20, 2012

Interview Date - March 27, 2012 - Approved

POE - Atlanta, GA 7/6/2012

Married! - 8/11/2012

AOS Filed - 9/14/2012

AOS NOA1 Priority Date - 9/19/2012

Biometrics Appt. - 10/10/2012

EAD/AP approval - 11/28/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Have her make copies of each document before sending and then you copy everything, too. She has to send passport type photos anyway, just have her send everything thing together.

While you are looking at everything, it is not a bad idea to start being aware of various possible RFE requirements and frontloading. I didn't know anything about that when we were filing and it probably would have helped prevent the delay we are enduring right now.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.