Kayode&Ginie

Nigerian Dual Citizenship

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone. My husband and I have just started our process. I am interested in Dual citizenship for myself to make traveling to Nigeria easier. Is it possible to get a Nigerian passport for myself, and what are the procedures? Thanks so much for your help!

10-11-2012: Interview DENIED

09-10-2013: REAFFIRMED

12-18-2013: 2nd Interview APPROVED

Timeline

Hi everyone. My husband and I have just started our process. I am interested in Dual citizenship for myself to make traveling to Nigeria easier. Is it possible to get a Nigerian passport for myself, and what are the procedures? Thanks so much for your help!

This is the requirements that you need

27. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, any person who is qualified in accordance with the provisions of this section may apply to the President for the same of a certificate of naturalisation.

(2) No person shall be qualified to apply for the grant of a certificate or naturalisation, unless he satisfies the President that -

(a) he is a person of full age and capacity;

(b) he is a person of good character;

© he has shown a clear intention of his desire to be domiciled in Nigeria;

(d) he is, in the opinion of the Governor of the State where he is or he proposes to be resident, acceptable to the local community in which he is to live permanently, and has been assimilated into the way of life of Nigerians in that part of the Federation;

(e) he is a person who has made or is capable of making useful contribution to the advancement; progress and well-being of Nigeria;

(F) he has taken the Oath of Allegiance prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution; and

(g) he has, immediately preceding the date of his application, either-

(i) resided in Nigeria for a continuous period of fifteen years; or

(ii) resided in Nigeria continuously for a period of twelve months, and during the period of twenty years immediately preceding that period of twelve months has resided in Nigeria for periods amounting in the aggregate to not less than fifteen years.

Read further on here..

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#Chapter_3

I was going to do this as well. I decided against it when I was told that if I am kidnapped there the US government will be much less likely to step into help me as I am a Nigerian Citizen.

Timeline

I was going to do this as well. I decided against it when I was told that if I am kidnapped there the US government will be much less likely to step into help me as I am a Nigerian Citizen.

Thats funny, There are so many foreigners living in Nigeria and they have not been kidnapped..Just stay away from the Niger Delta area...Most places in western Nigeria are pretty peaceful

Timeline

If you want ease of travel, you should get a Nigerwife Visa not a Nigerian passport. It is nearly impossible for a non-Nigerian to get a Nigerian passport, even if you have lived in Nigeria your entire life. I know this from other expats that have attempted this process.

However--Unlike the process most of us are currently undergoing to get our spouses a visa for the US, the reverse is quite simple!

My husband (Nigerian) and I (USC) where married and lived in Nigeria for the first two years of our marriage. I was able to get a Nigerwife Visa in less than a week. It was compeletely free and never expires. I am able to travel freely in and out of Nigeria, and did so quite often with my work while we lived there.

Your husband just needs to go to the Immigration Dept of his local state government for appropriate forms, etc.

Good luck and enjoy your time in Nigeria!

Timeline

This is the requirements that you need

27. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 28 of this Constitution, any person who is qualified in accordance with the provisions of this section may apply to the President for the same of a certificate of naturalisation.

(2) No person shall be qualified to apply for the grant of a certificate or naturalisation, unless he satisfies the President that -

(a) he is a person of full age and capacity;

(b) he is a person of good character;

© he has shown a clear intention of his desire to be domiciled in Nigeria;

(d) he is, in the opinion of the Governor of the State where he is or he proposes to be resident, acceptable to the local community in which he is to live permanently, and has been assimilated into the way of life of Nigerians in that part of the Federation;

(e) he is a person who has made or is capable of making useful contribution to the advancement; progress and well-being of Nigeria;

(F) he has taken the Oath of Allegiance prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution; and

(g) he has, immediately preceding the date of his application, either-

(i) resided in Nigeria for a continuous period of fifteen years; or

(ii) resided in Nigeria continuously for a period of twelve months, and during the period of twenty years immediately preceding that period of twelve months has resided in Nigeria for periods amounting in the aggregate to not less than fifteen years.

Read further on here..

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#Chapter_3

Thanks for the technical side of this, however I found all of this online but was unable to understand how a wife of a Nigerian would be able to apply for dual citizenship, and get a Nigerian passport

Timeline

If you want ease of travel, you should get a Nigerwife Visa not a Nigerian passport. It is nearly impossible for a non-Nigerian to get a Nigerian passport, even if you have lived in Nigeria your entire life. I know this from other expats that have attempted this process.

However--Unlike the process most of us are currently undergoing to get our spouses a visa for the US, the reverse is quite simple!

My husband (Nigerian) and I (USC) where married and lived in Nigeria for the first two years of our marriage. I was able to get a Nigerwife Visa in less than a week. It was compeletely free and never expires. I am able to travel freely in and out of Nigeria, and did so quite often with my work while we lived there.

Your husband just needs to go to the Immigration Dept of his local state government for appropriate forms, etc.

Good luck and enjoy your time in Nigeria!

Thanks so much, that would be great! He just needs to goto the local government and tell him he needs forms to complete for a "Nigerwife visa"?

Timeline

Thanks so much, that would be great! He just needs to goto the local government and tell him he needs forms to complete for a "Nigerwife visa"?

Pretty much. Just to clarify, it would be State Government, not local/city. It has been a few years, so the details are fuzzy and I apologize as my husband took care of everything. He will need your passport, passport photos, marriage certificate, etc. but they will tell him what he needs. The one thing I do not know is if you need to be present. But they will be able to tell him that as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from CR-1 to African Regional forum as not a US spousal visa question *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

You are right. Me too, but I have never been in any danger when I was there so I am still thinking about it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Welcome to VJ if ur husband is in Nigeria he will know how to get u a passport. It is no hard at all I have had a Nigerian passport since 2008 and I even got the new ecowas one not long ago. Im a USC. My husband got mine within a week when I was visiting... Let ur husband handle it for u because he knows how to walk the walk and talk the talk if u know what I mean and my passport is legit I flew with it at least 10times and I have flown with the ecowas once already with no problem.......FYI i also have a USC friend that has been living in Naija for about 10yrs with her husband and they all had Naija passports within a week of moving there.......

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.