ONA

Emelianenko wins, Putin is booed

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

When Vladimir Putin jumped into the ring to congratulate the winner of a bloody martial arts fight and was greeted with a cascade of boos from a large part of the 20,000-plus crowd, the experience seemed just this once to set him back on his heels, if only for a moment.

Throughout much of the world, politicians can expect to provoke the boo-birds when they show up at sports events, but Sunday evening’s bout — shown live on national television — was a first for Russia’s authoritarian prime minister. He recovered and managed to say his piece, but by Monday the Russian blogosphere was alight with arguments, put-downs, debunkings and catcalls.

Full story here:

Putin booed by Russian fight fans

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Could it be that Russia is more of a Democracy than the West wants to admit ?

It is. But that doesn't mean it's a democracy. The other side of that coin is that the US is less of a democracy than most Americans want to acknowledge.

But the reality is that Putin will win and nobody really has a shot at changing that. Not because people aren't allowed to vote or because those votes aren't actually counted but because nobody who would actually provide serious opposition is allowed to compete (see Khodorkovsky, see Prokhorov, see Medvedev).

But how is that so very different from the US. We may not know who the next president will be, but there is a short list and in the end, the result of the election will not greatly affect the direction of the country. Even if someone with truly different ideas were elected (Ron Paul, for instance), bureaucracy, seniority, and corruption will make sure that nothing actually changes. Do you really think that anyone could shut down government departments or balance the budget? Democracy is an illusion, and not only in the FSU.

Timeline

It is. But that doesn't mean it's a democracy. The other side of that coin is that the US is less of a democracy than most Americans want to acknowledge.

But the reality is that Putin will win and nobody really has a shot at changing that. Not because people aren't allowed to vote or because those votes aren't actually counted but because nobody who would actually provide serious opposition is allowed to compete (see Khodorkovsky, see Prokhorov, see Medvedev).

But how is that so very different from the US. We may not know who the next president will be, but there is a short list and in the end, the result of the election will not greatly affect the direction of the country. Even if someone with truly different ideas were elected (Ron Paul, for instance), bureaucracy, seniority, and corruption will make sure that nothing actually changes. Do you really think that anyone could shut down government departments or balance the budget? Democracy is an illusion, and not only in the FSU.

Well said. I agree completely.

Although, I think, some time in future, in Russia it might end like it did in Egypt or Libya.

I think the really surprising part of that story is that Tsar Putin found out he is not beloved by all. I'm sure they are viewing the video of the event to find out who was there. :angry:

Timeline

I think the really surprising part of that story is that Tsar Putin found out he is not beloved by all. I'm sure they are viewing the video of the event to find out who was there. :angry:

I don't think so. It's def. not a surprise, for a while now people have been posting negative opinions about Putin all over the internet, including vkontakte using their real names, which makes finding the posters really easy.

the Philosophy of Democracy is always open to interpretation - is there currently a pure / true Democracy out there: NO ; YES, Russia is currently a form of Democracy without a doubt despite how the West spins it ; YES, the USA is an experiment in Democracy dating back to 1776 and Yes the American general public has been told that the USA is the ideal Democracy and that is sad. Quick example : Freedom of Press - How can there be three major NEWS networks on US Media ( CBS, NBC & ABC ) that report the news on a nightly basis but yet all three report the same basic point of view ? We even have major cable news networks now that provide a " slightly " different point of view but generally slanted Right or Left depending on network, but translate into the same point of view. ? Will the internet and independent minded individuals eventually break down this situation ? Change is unfortunately painfully slow.

The ' short list ' in the US is pathetic ( Romney / Obama in 2012) and it is amazing how quickly we criticize Russia, Putin.... the democracy in the USA has evolved into this polarized DEm vs Rep and I doubt back in 1776 this is what they wanted. A third of even fourth Party : Independents and / or Libertarian etc... would be interesting to see if something like this could break the DC deadlock.

To me it seems that Politicians have forgotten that they are elected to serve the people; right now Politics in the US is another form of Big Business and Congress-People, Senate-People etc.. are all in it for the dollars. They get a nice Salary, Pension and Health Benefits above and beyond what even Middle Class America gets for only serving 2 , 4 or 6 years - sad... The American public needs to wake up and stop be so complacent.

dont be dis-illusioned Democracy has to Evolve and to be Worked at ; it is not a given.... IT EXISTS in many forms !

Well said. I agree completely.

Although, I think, some time in future, in Russia it might end like it did in Egypt or Libya.

I disagree that Russia will end up like Egypt or Libya - from what I understand about Russia and its History and People's Culture there is more in common with Europe and parts West than the Middle East or Northern Africa ...

Timeline

I disagree that Russia will end up like Egypt or Libya - from what I understand about Russia and its History and People's Culture there is more in common with Europe and parts West than the Middle East or Northern Africa ...

How does that help to avoid a revolution?

There were the Decembrists, there was the year 1905 and then 1917, if nothing changes, there might be the year 20-something.

How does that help to avoid a revolution?

There were the Decembrists, there was the year 1905 and then 1917, if nothing changes, there might be the year 20-something.

People are now educated and understand history and understand hardships from the past and its consequences.... ? are things that bad in Russia that a Revolution is in the near future ? ....

Always a possibility but Why does one need a Revolution to make change ? The American, European and Russian media circus will keep showing Egypt and Libya and other Arab Spring situation and the death and destruction associated with them as a suppressant to show that ( relative ) Peaceful Demonstration and Political Action is the means to change in the 20-something era not Revolution. Although life is not as pretty as it was 10 or 20 years ago life in the USA, most European Countries and Russia it cannot be compared to Egypt and Libya and the general population understand this... 80 plus % of the General Population is highly influenced by MEDIA !

it can also be said in hard times such as these People desire Strong Leadership - right or wrong as the case my be - Putin may be the medicine they desire . . . a change to a different Leader / System may be ultimately frustrating and take too long to implement the change promised / desired, making the situation worse . . .

Timeline

I would say more - while Russian people disapprove of what happened in Lybia (thinking it happened cause of the Western plan, not because Lybian people wanted it so much), it can still happen in Russia.

There are more and more people, who dislike the regime. They can't organize civil protests, because you have to obtain a permission for that and the government will never let people organize a protest that might be dangerous for the government. That's why sometimes things happen the way it happened on Manezhnaya Square last year.

If you read Russian blogs, Russian forums etc. you'll understand that there is a possibility that big protests are going to happen. Not now, but in 10-15-maybe 20 years from now. Maybe 30 years from now. It's older generation, that likes Putin. My generation (and I'm Russian) does not. I don't think that future generations will like him or politicians like him.

They're racists just like those NASCAR fans that booed Mrs. Obama because everyone knows, if you boo a politician... you're racist.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Peope are getting more and more disatisfied and I am actually hearing from people I know that they are going to vote. Maybe not for a candidate, but to simply cross out all options on the ballot to show dissatisfaction. Before, I never really heard anyone outside of academic circles discuss politics and people were apathetic. Now people seem more pissed off.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

They're racists just like those NASCAR fans that booed Mrs. Obama because everyone knows, if you boo a politician... you're racist.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Peope are getting more and more disatisfied and I am actually hearing from people I know that they are going to vote. Maybe not for a candidate, but to simply cross out all options on the ballot to show dissatisfaction. Before, I never really heard anyone outside of academic circles discuss politics and people were apathetic. Now people seem more pissed off.

Right. I actually have been doing that since my 1st elections, too bad I can't "vote" this time, since I'm in the US, but I'm not registered in the Embassy here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.