Keith & Xiang

Naturalization Oath Ceremony-What to bring?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

Received my letter Form N-455, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony, to take place on Monday, November 28, 2011 at 9:15am.

They request the following to bring with me to the Oath Ceremony:

1. Form N-455, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony.

2. Permanent Resident Card.

3. Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document. <-- Is this my Chinese passport that allowed me entry into the United States?

4. Any Immigration documents you may have. <-- Would it be ok if I didn't bring any to the Oath Ceremony? What documents are they wanting?

5. If the naturalization application is on behalf of your child (children), bring your child (children). <-- I have a 17 year old daughter that was included on the paperwork, should she come as well?

Thank you,

Keith & Xiang

2005-07-20 Sent Xiang first email

2005-11-19 Met Xiang in Nanning

2005-11-25 Asked for Xiang's hand in marriage

2006-02-21 Date I-129F Sent

2006-02-24 Date I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2006-03-15 Applied for Emergency Expedite

2006-04-03 Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2006-04-25 Date packet was sent from NVC to Guangzhou, China

2006-07-07 Date Xiang recieved Packet #3 from Guangzhou, China

2006-07-08 Date Xiang sent Packet #3 to the U.S. Consulate

2006-07-27 Date Xiang recieved request for biographical information on our daughter

2006-07-27 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate

2006-08-17 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate, again!

2006-08-21 Date Xiang called, faxed and mailed the U.S. Consulate the biographical information

2006-08-22 Email from the U.S. Consulate, they FINALLY received the G-325A form for our daughter!

2006-08-22 Waiting patiently for Packet #4 to arrive, bring my soulmate to my open arms!!!

2006-08-25 Packet #4 sent out from the U.S. Consulate, in transit to my baby!!!

2006-08-29 11:25pm Email from the U.S. Consulate, the interview date is October 17th!

2006-09-29 Medical examination for Xiang and our daughter Qi. Interview is just around the corner!

2006-10-16 11:15pm VISA APPROVED!!!!

2006-10-29 Xiang and Qi arrived in Detroit, immigrations 2 1/2 hours, finally holding my sweetheart in my arms.

2006-11-05 Exchanging our vows, what a beautiful day for our wedding!

Hi There!! Congratulations... one final step is now on its way - and one more June filer is turning red tongue.gif

OK, to answer your question, no, the re-entry permit is a US travel document that you can apply for while a resident (if you need to travel and have either no means of being able to travel i.e. a valid passport, or you need to travel to a country that may cause you some difficulty due to the passport you are carrying from your original country)... therefore, since you didn't know what it is exactly then it means that you didn't apply for one...

The other question regarding any additional immigration documents - I am not sure what it is but I would just ignore it if you have the GC on you.

All you need is your oath letter and your GC...

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

Received my letter Form N-455, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony, to take place on Monday, November 28, 2011 at 9:15am.

They request the following to bring with me to the Oath Ceremony:

1. Form N-455, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony.

2. Permanent Resident Card.

3. Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document. NO - they are talking about any US documents - perhaps you've had oterh immirgation documents? If not then don't worry about it - they cannot take your Chinese passport, only China can <-- Is this my Chinese passport that allowed me entry into the United States?

4. Any Immigration documents you may have. Try to bring any previous EAD or AP documents, if you don't have them anymore that's ok - I personally had shredded mine a few years back because I didn;t need them anymore <-- Would it be ok if I didn't bring any to the Oath Ceremony? What documents are they wanting?

5. If the naturalization application is on behalf of your child (children), bring your child (children). <-- I have a 17 year old daughter that was included on the paperwork, should she come as well? If this was for your own naturalization - all you did was list your 17 yr old on the application - correct? So NO, she does not need to come along. She is going to gain her citizenship automatically through your naturalization - she is not the one taking the OATH when you go to the ceremony, you are.

Thank you,

Keith & Xiang

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
3. Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document.

4. Any Immigration documents you may have.

These questions threw me for a loop. Positively no recollection that my wife was a refugee, so ignored it.

At this stage, had a ton of immigration documents, so put those in the trunk of our car just in case, they stayed there.

Just boiled down to bring her green card and the oath letter, that is all they wanted. Stepdaughter was barely over 18 at the time, but not qualified under her mom. But she came along anyway to see her mom receive her certificate. If she was under 18, still wouldn't make any difference like other kids present, officer just asked them to stand up and sit down again. Don't take their green card, don't have an oath letter, if under 18, have to fight with the DOS, USCIS or both, your preference to get proof of US citizenship. They don't issue a certificate to tailgating kids under 18. Over 18, even by a second, they have to wait the full five years.

Only thing you sign at the oath ceremony is the back page of your oath letter, all the rest is lip service and watching videos. When you walk out, realize you can't leave the country anymore, no longer have a green card, so you panic in trying to get a US passport.

Hi, congratulations! It's the final step. Below are the things i took with me:

The oath letter N-455

Work permit card

my 2 year greencard

my 10 year greencard

The court room i had the ceremony in, did not allow us to take cameras or cell phones in. So find out what is acceptable at the place you will be having your ceremony. It would be bad to go back to your car to return the stuff they do not allow. All the best wishes.

Citizenship

Service Center : Dallas/Lewisville, Texas Lockbox

CIS Office : Norfolk VA

05/31/2011 - Date Filed

06/03/2011 - NOA Date

06/08/2011 - Check Cashed

06/30/2011 - Bio. Appointment

07/05/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

08/15/2011 - Yellow Letter received - Dated August 11TH

09/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

09/15/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

10/19/2011 - Interview Appointment Date (Passed)

10/24/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath scheduled

10/26/2011 - Received Oath letter

11/16/2011 - Oath Taking

Filed: Other Timeline

N-445

Green Card

Pen to fill out the N-445

$10.00 for a folder from vendors

Never surrender your 2-year Green Card. Never. Did you hear that!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

N-445

Green Card

I'm curious. What's the $10.00 and vendors regarding ?

--

02/27/08 - sent I-751 (remove conditions)

03/07/08 - check cleared

04/24/08 - transferred to VSC

04/25/08 - touched

08/??/08 - reschedule photo & prints

09/19/08 - photo & fingerprints

12/25/08 - touched

12/31/08 - card production ordered

06/14/11 - N-400 app sent

06/16/11 - N-400 NOA

07/07/11 - Biometrics appt.

09/07/11 - N-400 Interview

09/26/11 - Oath ceremony

Timeline

I'm curious. What's the $10.00 and vendors regarding ?

Assume that is to protect your certificate. Ironically, at my stepdaughters ceremony, handed those out in a note book type of a plastic sleeve. Ten bucks seems pretty steep for something like that. But could purchase a lockable all leather brief case for a lot more.

It's a diploma folder, nicely done. Would buy one again any day.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

Timeline

It's a diploma folder, nicely done. Would buy one again any day.

Suppose that would add a nice touch to my wife's and stepdaughter's certificates locked up in my safe. Neither has been touched nor looked at after they received their US passports.

Suppose that would add a nice touch to my wife's and stepdaughter's certificates locked up in my safe. Neither has been touched nor looked at after they received their US passports.

True.

Neither have I. It's really a worse case scenario backup, nothing more. But woudn't it be cool if the great-grandchildren inherit the Certificate of Naturalization in a nice folder? Would surely bring more on eBay in 2050!

N-445

Green Card

Never surrender your 2-year Green Card. Never. Did you hear that!

Why do you recommend not to surrender the 2-year Green card?

Citizenship

Service Center : Dallas/Lewisville, Texas Lockbox

CIS Office : Norfolk VA

05/31/2011 - Date Filed

06/03/2011 - NOA Date

06/08/2011 - Check Cashed

06/30/2011 - Bio. Appointment

07/05/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

08/15/2011 - Yellow Letter received - Dated August 11TH

09/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

09/15/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

10/19/2011 - Interview Appointment Date (Passed)

10/24/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath scheduled

10/26/2011 - Received Oath letter

11/16/2011 - Oath Taking

Timeline

Why do you recommend not to surrender the 2-year Green card?

Memorabilia? Or maybe not, since it reminds you of all the trouble you had to go through to get it. For one thing, they never asked us to return it. Can be considered worthless, but its also serves as proof that you were a LPR in this country. Just in case the USCIS experiences a major computer crash or a fire that burn all of our records.

This statement is not too far fetched, a fire in St. Louis destroyed a huge pile of military records, if I didn't save all my military records original copies I had, would have never received GI benefits. Also learned my older sister was trying to form a family tree, only could go back so far because records in Europe were destroyed during WW II. Didn't know she was doing this, when our mom died, I was living with her while my sister got married and was having a bunch of kids. While going through everything found my grandparent immigration papers and saved them in a file. Grandfather I was named after went through Ellis Island, all neatly hand printed by an immigration officer. Then he attended a six week course to get his US citizenship, was on a Monday and a Wednesday two nights a week then he received his US citizenship.

After I reviewed his records, wow, have things changed!!! Think these documents would be worthless on ebay, but are worth something to us.

My wife sure didn't want to surrender her ten year card, asked the USCIS if they could void it or something, after the madhouse we went through to get that card. But do have photo copies of it as well as every bit of information we sent and received to the USCIS, DOS, and NVC.

Ask your grandchildren when they are about 15 years of age.

If I had an old Green Card from my grandmother or great-grandmother, it would be framed and hanging on the wall.

Priceless, literally.

Timeline

Hey guys,

Sorry to piggy back on this thread but...so once I get my notice of oath ceremony and I hand in my green card...I can't travel outside of the US until I get a US passport even though I hold a Canadian passport?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.