ghunt2121

Getting a Birth Certificate From Colombia

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife (born in Cucuta, Colombia) arrived here in the United states this past summer on a K1 (fianceé) visa and we are now married. We are trying to prepare for the USCIS Adjustment of Status (AOS) process but need to get an official copy of her birth certificate (Registro Civil) in order to do so. All information that I have indicates that this is only possible by someone physically going to the Notaria in Cucuta and requsting, paying and collecting the document. We have no family or friends anywhere near Cucuta to support us in this effort. Can you help. Are there agencies/companies in Colombia that could possibly provide this service for a fee and then send it to us here in the states? Can you suggest some other solution?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Your wife must know someone in Colombia that might have a friend that can go a ask for a copy of the marriage certificate. I was born in Valledupar a tiny town in Colombia and all my family is in Bogota and my mother always finds a way to get someone to go get a copy of my birth certificate and send it to her then she goes to the notariado an registro herself and gets it certified.

I am adjusting from a B2

09/14/2011 Sent package with I-130, I-485, I-765

09/16/2011 Package arrived at Chicago lock-box

09/19/2011 Received text mail from USCIS package accepted

09/21/2011 NOA1 hard-copies received in mail

09/29/2011 Biometrics appointment scheduled for October 19th 2011

10/04/2011 Successful walk-in for biometrics

10/21/2011 Request to appear for initial interview

11/08/2011 EAD Card/Document Production

11/17/2011 EAD received in the mail

11/18/2011 Applied for SSN with EAD

11/22/2011 Interview at Local USCIS Indianapolis (Approved)

11/22/2011 Received text and e-mail that I-485 has been approved

11/23/2011 Touched Green Card Production

11/29/2011 Touched

12/01/2011 Received SS card in the mailbox

12/02/2011 Received GC and welcome letter in the mail

12/29/2011 Touched I-130

01/02/2012 I-130 approved (letter in the mail)

My journey lasted 2 months and 18 days :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Do you have a copy of it? What happened to the original or copy from the K1?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Buenas noches, soy nueva en este foro y pienso que en algo puedo ayudar , vivo a las afueras de bogota ,pero tengo un contacto en cucuta ,me comprometo a llamar y preguntar si los puede ayudar.

English ONLY in the upper forums

"Good evening, I'm new to this forum and I think of something I can help, I live on the outskirts of Bogota, but I have a contact in Cucuta, I promise to call and ask if you can help."

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Buenas noches, soy nueva en este foro y pienso que en algo puedo ayudar , vivo a las afueras de bogota ,pero tengo un contacto en cucuta ,me comprometo a llamar y preguntar si los puede ayudar.

Thank you very much.

You can email me at ghunt2121@gmail.com (in Spanish or English) - thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.