maning

RNs on K-1 Visas: Fiancee is RN in PI does she still need to take TOEFL?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm confused with this requirement and trying to get an understanding from other people's experiences.

I've contacted my state's BON concerning this question, but so far haven't replied to my email.

Anyway, she will be applying through a Compact Licensure State(SC) and requirements for foreign educated nurses is a CES evaluation of her college transcript and also passing TOEFL English examination. Does she even have to take TOEFL, since she's going through the K-1 Visa process and not through a work visa?

Her college courses were all instructed in English and we can produce a letter stating the fact. I just find it redundant to take the TOEFL exam and a waste of time and money, which is better served into her focusing on studying for the NCLEX exam. I know for a fact that California BON does not require it if the college instruction was in English.

Vermont Service Center

US Embassy In Manila, The Philippines

I-129F Sent: 2011-04-25

I-129F NOA1: 2011-04-26

I-129F NOA2: 2011-09-29

NVC Received:2011-09-29

NVC Left: 2011-10-18

Consulate Received: 2011-11-03

Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-07

Interview Date: 2011-11-23

Interview Result: Approved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

NCLEX and K1 visa are 2 different things. She doesnt need a toefl if her purpose is a k1 visa application. But if she plans on taking the nclex, please read on your state's BON requirements before they'll be able to approve her application to test. If it is not required then she doesn't have to take it, but I believe most states require an English test unless she is from English speaking countries like Aus, NZ, UK etc.

Feb 6, 2012 - POE Detroit

April 17 - Got married

**AOS Stage**

May 22, 2012 - AOS submission

May 24 - received date

May 25 - transfer notice of I485 to CSC

May 29 - NOA1 by mail

June 25 - Biometrics at Atlanta

June 29 - received a second appointment notice for repeat biometrics

July 16 - Second biometrics at Atlanta

July 28 - EAD card production notification received

Aug 2 - USPS picked up card notification received

Aug 4 - received EAD in the mail

March 26,2013 - AOS interview

April 11, 2013 - GC approval date

April 19,2013 - received GC in the mail

If the state BON requires an English proficiency exam, then she must comply in order for them to issue her an RN license. This is entirely independent of which visa she's applying for.

Which state are you applying for? I applied for Vermont, and they required TOEFL only if the course wasn't taught in English. Philippine colleges use English as the medium of instruction.

USCIS

10/01/11 - Filed (2) I-130's

10/04/11 - NOA-1

04/05/12 - NOA-2

Your I-130 was approved in 184 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

04/23/12 - NVC received both cases (18 days/12 business days from NOA-2)

05/07/12 - Case numbers and IIN's (14 days/10 business days since NVC received)

05/07/12 - Sent out DS-3032 by email; auto-response received

05/08/12 - AOS fee invoiced, paid - "IN PROCESS"

05/09/12 - AOS fee shows as "PAID"

05/10/12 - Spouse's DS-3032 accepted; minor child's rejected = had petitioner call NVC = received verbal acceptance from operator

05/11/12 - Spouse's IV fee invoiced

05/14/12 - Daughter's IV fee invoiced, paid both IV fees - "IN PROCESS"

05/15/12 - Both IV fees show as "PAID"

05/16/12 - Sent both AOS and both IV packages to NVC via USPS (expected delivery: 05/19/12)

05/21/12 - All 4 packages delivered

05/30/12 - Received checklist for daughter's AOS

05/31/12 - Sent response to checklist via USPS (expected delivery: 06/01/12); Spouse's case completed

06/07/12 - Daughter's case completed; waiting for interview date

06/14/12 - P4 received: interview date 07/11/12

Embassy

07/04-05/12 - Medical at SLEC

07/11/12 - Interview: APPROVED!

07/14/12 - Visas on hand

POE: 10/17/12

GC's on hand: 10/31/12

Timeline

If the state BON requires an English proficiency exam, then she must comply in order for them to issue her an RN license. This is entirely independent of which visa she's applying for.

Which state are you applying for? I applied for Vermont, and they required TOEFL only if the course wasn't taught in English. Philippine colleges use English as the medium of instruction.

My course instruction was all in English at my university and can provide a letter from the school to vouch for the fact.

When you applied through Vermont, did you have to take the TOEFL or did you get a waiver to not take it, since studying in a Philippine college I would assume your class instruction were all in English.

I know California makes an exemption if you're a green card holder.

Vermont Service Center

You will probably have to wait for the South Carolina Board of Nursing to answer your email. I scanned over South Carolina's requirements, and it appears at first glance that TOEFL is required for Filipino-educated nurses regardless of whether their coursework was in English.

One thing you might want to do is to check into South Carolina's requirements for licensure by endorsement. You may be able to obtain your licensure by examination in a non-TOEFL state, and then endorse your license to South Carolina if South Carolina has no TOEFL requirement for those who license by endorsement.

Or, you could simply take the TOEFL.

Timeline

You will probably have to wait for the South Carolina Board of Nursing to answer your email. I scanned over South Carolina's requirements, and it appears at first glance that TOEFL is required for Filipino-educated nurses regardless of whether their coursework was in English.

One thing you might want to do is to check into South Carolina's requirements for licensure by endorsement. You may be able to obtain your licensure by examination in a non-TOEFL state, and then endorse your license to South Carolina if South Carolina has no TOEFL requirement for those who license by endorsement.

Or, you could simply take the TOEFL.

Heh, yeah I guess we will wait for an official statement on it. We'll just assume that she will have to take it. It's just another hurdle. I just want her to work asap so she doesn't get coup up in the house heh.

Vermont Service Center

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I don't think your fiancee needs to take TOEFL unless if through working visa but she is on K1 visa so doesn't need to take TOEFL. I have a friend who is a RN in the Philippines and arrived here through K1 Visa. She did not take TOEFL before going here,she is now preparing for NCLEX. I have another USC filipina nurse (NCLEX passer) friend from the Philippines,she did not take TOEFL. She said TOEFL is only for RN who is applying to take NCLEX for working visa purposes. Since she is already a USC she doesn't need to take TOEFL.

K 1 TIMELINE

03-05-09 I-129 f sent

03-10-09 NOA 1

08-06-09 NOA 2 (08-07-09 his b-day)

08-10-09 NVC received

09-07-09 Medical passed (Sep.7-8)

09-22-09 Appointed date interview but rescheduled Sep.25 (my case not yet in their system)

09-25-09 Interview (1 additional document lacking)

STILL WAITING MY VISA!

Nov. 10-09 Visa received

Nov.13-09 US arrival (Guam POE)

Nov.19-09 celebrate b-day

Dec.27-09 Wedding day

I don't think your fiancee needs to take TOEFL unless if through working visa but she is on K1 visa so doesn't need to take TOEFL. I have a friend who is a RN in the Philippines and arrived here through K1 Visa. She did not take TOEFL before going here,she is now preparing for NCLEX. I have another USC filipina nurse (NCLEX passer) friend from the Philippines,she did not take TOEFL. She said TOEFL is only for RN who is applying to take NCLEX for working visa purposes. Since she is already a USC she doesn't need to take TOEFL.

It's my understanding that visa status and U.S. citizenship are not factors in determining whether TOEFL is required. When it comes to the TOEFL requirement, the deciding factor in most states is whether the applicant's nursing education was in a country whose primary language is English, such as the UK, Australia, or New Zealand. The other deciding factor is whether the nursing course work was taught in English, such as in the Philippines.

I'm guessing that your friends applied to sit for the NCLEX through states which did not require the TOEFL because their nursing courses were taught in English in the Philippines. Or, possibly the state accepted their IELTS.

Your K-1 friend:

1. Which state did she apply through to sit for the NCLEX?

2. Has she received the ATT from that state?

3. Did she take the IELTS?

Your NCLEX-passer friend:

1. Which state did she apply through to sit for the NCLEX?

2. What year did she receive the ATT for the NCLEX?

3. Did she take the IELTS?

@Manny...You really need to email the BON again, or call them and find out the requirement for your state.

Timeline

She can apply through CA BON. They don't require TOEFL, or CGFNS. She does not need to be residing in CA to apply. Once she passes the NCLEX, she can apply for endorsement to whatever state she is in. This is the route I took. I graduated from Manila. I took the NCLEX with CA BON approval May 2011. Applied for endorsement in PA in June. In August 2011 I was already working as a RN.

event.png

She can apply through CA BON. They don't require TOEFL, or CGFNS. She does not need to be residing in CA to apply. Once she passes the NCLEX, she can apply for endorsement to whatever state she is in. This is the route I took. I graduated from Manila. I took the NCLEX with CA BON approval May 2011. Applied for endorsement in PA in June. In August 2011 I was already working as a RN.

That would be a good idea, but it appears that the OP's state requires the TOEFL even when licensing by endorsement. The OP needs to clarify the issue with the Board of Nursing in his state.

• 2 years later...
Timeline

I'm confused with this requirement and trying to get an understanding from other people's experiences.

I've contacted my state's BON concerning this question, but so far haven't replied to my email.

Anyway, she will be applying through a Compact Licensure State(SC) and requirements for foreign educated nurses is a CES evaluation of her college transcript and also passing TOEFL English examination. Does she even have to take TOEFL, since she's going through the K-1 Visa process and not through a work visa?

Her college courses were all instructed in English and we can produce a letter stating the fact. I just find it redundant to take the TOEFL exam and a waste of time and money, which is better served into her focusing on studying for the NCLEX exam. I know for a fact that California BON does not require it if the college instruction was in English.

How did this work out for you guys?

Im in a similar situation with my fiancee here in South Carolina. She just graduated with her BSN in Cagayan de Oro and we have received NOA2 from USCIS. I was wanting to plan ahead to help her out. Seems that if the program she went through meets the requirements through evaluation then she can take the NCLEX here. She doesnt want to wait till November to take the NLE in the Philippines because we will most likely have been approved for the K-1 visa before that. She is however going to review classes to help her pass the exam and to keep her mind fresh. What are your thoughts?

Timeline

When I applied for CA RN License, I did took IELTS and that's an English proficiency exam requirement before I was allowed to take the NCLEX exam.

They also accept TOEFL, the school I have graduated was instructed in English too, but because English is not my first language, is is indeed a requirement to take the English proficiency exam.

Foreign RN graduate cannot practice as a nurse in USA unless you have passed the NCLEX RN exam

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

How did this work out for you guys?

Im in a similar situation with my fiancee here in South Carolina. She just graduated with her BSN in Cagayan de Oro and we have received NOA2 from USCIS. I was wanting to plan ahead to help her out. Seems that if the program she went through meets the requirements through evaluation then she can take the NCLEX here. She doesnt want to wait till November to take the NLE in the Philippines because we will most likely have been approved for the K-1 visa before that. She is however going to review classes to help her pass the exam and to keep her mind fresh. What are your thoughts?

Check with your BON.

Confirm that you need TOEFL since I am sure the textbooks were English.

Taking the Local Exam in Philippines can be a waste of time and effort for the most part. They will review for months for the local exam in Philippines and end up having like a 30 to 40% passing average and they can only take local like two times per years

I would get her a Saunders Review book and have her start looking at Kaplan Review for NCLEX/RN - Check with your state BON and confirm that she doesn't need to have a local license to sit for NCLEX in your state, Let them know she is a fresh graduate also.

Timeline

Check with your BON.

Confirm that you need TOEFL since I am sure the textbooks were English.

Taking the Local Exam in Philippines can be a waste of time and effort for the most part. They will review for months for the local exam in Philippines and end up having like a 30 to 40% passing average and they can only take local like two times per years

I would get her a Saunders Review book and have her start looking at Kaplan Review for NCLEX/RN - Check with your state BON and confirm that she doesn't need to have a local license to sit for NCLEX in your state, Let them know she is a fresh graduate also.

Before, some states do not required for us to have a local RN license but now things changed, in California you have to have a local RN license too, to be qualified to sit for NCLEX RN exam, my suggestion is to ask the board of nursing where you plan to practice, and English proficiency exam is a mandatory requirement for a country that do not use English as their primary language.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.