maning

Arguments About Sending Money Back Home?

54 posts in this topic

As many here know, my biggest concern about this topic is the constant "breeding" that leads to more and more children to support. My wife and I have made a conscious choice to only have one child because they are EXPENSIVE. Many in the PHL don't understand this concept, so I have little compassion to help someone who couldn't support three kids, but now have four. I understand its not the kids fault to be born into this mess, but no one person in American can support an entire village!

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

As many here know, my biggest concern about this topic is the constant "breeding" that leads to more and more children to support. My wife and I have made a conscious choice to only have one child because they are EXPENSIVE. Many in the PHL don't understand this concept, so I have little compassion to help someone who couldn't support three kids, but now have four. I understand its not the kids fault to be born into this mess, but no one person in American can support an entire village!

You and your wife are being responsible in your approach to having kids.

"Constant breeding," look to culture and the Catholic church on that one.

It's no surprise the people who can least afford to have kids, have the most and on average those with the wealth and means to support lots of kids, have the fewest.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

they think america is a lolipop land they don't have a clue about our crisis and economy here.if you send them money right after western union they go to jollibee they dont even think about to multiply the money u sent on their own ways..

I feel badly for you, being abused like that.

I have a comment about this alleged belief in the Philippines that money grows on trees here. The people who act that way know it isn't true. It is the same lie a bank robber uses when he steals from banks. He says the banks did not earn the money, or that he is not stealing from "people", but just the robber baron banks.

You should NEVER get defensive and try explaining to people of bad character that you had to work for your money. That's their whole strategy - to put you on the defensive. Don't do it. You have to shine the white heat of truth on THEM and THEIR actions. The answer is "no", we are not going to support your bad behavior.

When I met my fiancee, the thought of having to help her family never crossed my mind. When I had my first love back in grade school, I did not think "hmm, I like this girl, but let me research her more carefully and see if her family will need my lunch money in the future." I've never thought I would be in a relationship where I had to support my fiancee's family back home, but I fell in love with her. Why would I turn away simply because I had to help her family in return?

There's a head scratcher.

1289918.jpg

"had"...:unsure: hmmmm....had....as in....have to?...or...a must do?... :blink:

"in return"... :unsure: ...like a trade?..hmmmm :unsure: ...in return... :unsure: ...in return for what? :huh:

So...bcoz you love your fiancee.. you have to help her family? Otherwise, you would have to turn away? :huh:

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Timeline

Reading comprehension problems much? :blink:

You should be asking scruffydog your question.

:rofl:

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Filed: Timeline

One problem with many Filipinos is the mentalty just because you are Abroad or have a decent job is that "you already have lots of Money". I heard this phrase from a relative. I said that we dont have much money, we havd lots of debt. We work hard to cover bills and someone who does not work her #### and just rely on what her kids are giving her, i feel insulted.

The problem with many filipino families is that they want their relatives to work and work not so that those relatives can have a better future but so that someone can provide for them while they can make their butts fat

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

maning - thanks for your post - it's a different perspective than most of the other threads started on this topic.

Hopefully, rlogan has already chimed in, or will chime in, soon. I'll try to find the other threads on this topic, one or two of them went on for weeks as everyone 'chimed in'.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

@rlogan,

You were right but now I am very aware and I investigate first before I made some action.lesson learned like most people say....they cannot fool me anymore..Emergency stuff is fine I can deal with that,and now they are making a new trick I knew it......I told them to find a job coz my husband is working hard for every penny that we have.....:)

Timeline

There's a head scratcher.

"had"...:unsure: hmmmm....had....as in....have to?...or...a must do?... :blink:

"in return"... :unsure: ...like a trade?..hmmmm :unsure: ...in return... :unsure: ...in return for what? :huh:

So...bcoz you love your fiancee.. you have to help her family? Otherwise, you would have to turn away? :huh:

No that doesn't even make any sense because you're taking what I said out of context. If you read my entire post I was directing my answer to someone's comment... the other poster misinterpreted that we were talking bad about our fiancees, but we were only discussing our experiences with sending money to family back home. I simply stated that I would never LEAVE my fiancee, just because I had to help her family.

I'm trying to not add more to this because you might misinterpret what I'm saying again.

Vermont Service Center

US Embassy In Manila, The Philippines

I-129F Sent: 2011-04-25

I-129F NOA1: 2011-04-26

I-129F NOA2: 2011-09-29

NVC Received:2011-09-29

NVC Left: 2011-10-18

Consulate Received: 2011-11-03

Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-07

Interview Date: 2011-11-23

Interview Result: Approved!

No that doesn't even make any sense because you're taking what I said out of context. If you read my entire post I was directing my answer to someone's comment... the other poster misinterpreted that we were talking bad about our fiancees, but we were only discussing our experiences with sending money to family back home. I simply stated that I would never LEAVE my fiancee, just because I had to help her family.

I'm trying to not add more to this because you might misinterpret what I'm saying again.

I did read your entire post. :yes: I did not misinterpret your post. :no:

Didn't you notice the question marks at the end of each phrase? :huh: I asked questions hoping to garner clarification. :)

You clarified. Thanks. :)

(There are so many threads (in this forum) regarding the "money topic", I have lost count.)

2 more questions please.

1) Are you (simply) stating...that you love your fiancee and you accept the responsibility of helping her family? :star:

2) Does your relationship (with your fiancee) require helping the family as a relationship thriller/killer? :unsure:

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

It is good to help but there should always be a "LIMIT" :)

Sounds like the OP's parents did not do a very good job at setting limits. If the mom and dad are sending so much money back to the PHL they can't even buy X-Mas gifts for their own child, than something is wrong with that picture if you ask me.

I'm also curious at what generation does the perceived remittance obligation stop? Is the OP expected by his family to continue the tradition to his distant cousins, nieces and nephews etc.?

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

• 1 year later...
Timeline

One thing that an American should understand with Filipino culture is that, in earlier times even earlier than 80's a lot of women do not work. When they get married, they give up their career to become the best homemaker to produce "better children". Most Filipinos do not have health insurance and educational plan. So if one of their kids finish school and ready to get a job, they have to help their younger siblings in their school expenses as well as on the utilities. They usually do not leave home until they're married, and sometimes they still stay at home even if they are. The ones that has most responsibilities in the family are eldest, and the most blessed (financially) sometimes The only guy in the siblings. So if you are married to the eldest, expect this. People wants to have kids out of bio pressure and they want someone to take care of them when they get old. Insurance and pension never crossed their mind because they have children.

Why they keep on bearing babies? The church do not support contraceptives.

Thats fine but the fact is in america these days most families need 2 full time incomes to survive, and there we be NO extra income in these families. My wife moved to America, we didn't move to the Philippines, thus our lives are much different and while I understand where her family is coming from there is simply no money budgeted for giveaway in our family not even 10$/m and we cant seem to get that across to them..any ideas?

03/12/2010 - I-129F Mailed to Vermont

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

06/02/2010 - Email Received "Approved"! (that was fast)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.