S and P

Going Back to Canada for a visit

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We are going up to Michigan for a visit during US Thanksgiving and were talking about maybe heading over to Windsor so my hubby could pick up a few canadian items he's been jonesing for....... laughing.gif He got his EAD/AP card last week and the paper it was attached to said a lot of scary things about it not being a guarantee to be granted entry into the USA...... I understand that the Border Patrol has ultimate say in these things and can deny entry for a million reasons.....I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with this.... I'd hate to lose my husband for another year over a box of Kraft dinner rofl.gif

We are going up to Michigan for a visit during US Thanksgiving and were talking about maybe heading over to Windsor so my hubby could pick up a few canadian items he's been jonesing for....... laughing.gif He got his EAD/AP card last week and the paper it was attached to said a lot of scary things about it not being a guarantee to be granted entry into the USA...... I understand that the Border Patrol has ultimate say in these things and can deny entry for a million reasons.....I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with this.... I'd hate to lose my husband for another year over a box of Kraft dinner rofl.gif

I would not chance it myself. If hubby needs some KD ask someone to send him a care package.. Enjoy your thanksgiving. We were really hoping to celebrate this one together with his family but I guess it will have to wait yet another year.

Terri

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

No Personal Experience, but from what i have seen on this website is that they should be ok, sounds like will only be a short visit outta the country all should be cool

My Journey Uk To Usa

K1
I-129f Sent:- 19-Aug-2010
Date of Entry-27-May-2011
Date Married-24-June-2011

AOS
AOS/EAD Sent:08-Aug-2011
Green Card Received: 16-Nov-2011

ROC

i-751 Sent 01-Nov-2013

i-751 NOA1 04-Nov-2013

i-751 Biometrics App. 08-Nov-2013

i-751 Biometrics Completed 29-Nov-2013

Nearly there, and for those who are just starting the k1 it is a long wait but once it is over the time feels well spent

Timeline

I would not chance it myself. If hubby needs some KD ask someone to send him a care package.. Enjoy your thanksgiving. We were really hoping to celebrate this one together with his family but I guess it will have to wait yet another year.

Terri

I think it's really more than just wanting some Canadian items.... I think just being able to set foot back in his home country even for an afternoon is what he is really needing blush.gif but if it could be a problem we really don't want to chance it, hopefully his GC will be coming in a month or two. I was hoping to hear from somebody who's had experience with this at the Canadian border. Thanks!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it's really more than just wanting some Canadian items.... I think just being able to set foot back in his home country even for an afternoon is what he is really needing blush.gif but if it could be a problem we really don't want to chance it, hopefully his GC will be coming in a month or two. I was hoping to hear from somebody who's had experience with this at the Canadian border. Thanks!!

I have read Canadians using their AP with no problems! Can't recall who they are. I'm sure some may pipe up!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I have read Canadians using their AP with no problems! Can't recall who they are. I'm sure some may pipe up!!

Thanks! I'm just being super paranoid at this point! tongue_ss.gif We just got the notice today saying my husbands AOS interview is Dec. 12!! So we're hoping he will have his GC before christmas!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks! I'm just being super paranoid at this point! tongue_ss.gif We just got the notice today saying my husbands AOS interview is Dec. 12!! So we're hoping he will have his GC before christmas!!

I don't recall anyone here having trouble using their AP to get back into the US from Canada.... if the horror story comes from another country I wouldn't pay it any mind. That is precisely what your AP is for - travelling before your GC is in hand.

Bring the AP and copies of any NOA's from teh AOS process and that should be sufficient.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I don't recall anyone here having trouble using their AP to get back into the US from Canada.... if the horror story comes from another country I wouldn't pay it any mind. That is precisely what your AP is for - travelling before your GC is in hand.

Bring the AP and copies of any NOA's from teh AOS process and that should be sufficient.

Thank you for your reply!! We should have the interview notice by then as well!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You should be fine.

Usually issues with AP are a result of the person having some kind of overstay or ban. If you filed for a K1 and are now just AOSing, it's easy! Just leave some extra time for going through secondary just in case!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

But it's KD!!! :lol:

All kidding aside, I've never crossed into Canada using AP (and I lived 20 mins from Windsor!).

I just waited for my greencard.

I'm sure many people have used it with no issue, but I just didn't want to chance it.

Edited by CDAgirlMI

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I used my AP tons of times. The only drawback is having to go through secondary to be processed. Other than that you're good to go.

Yup, used AP to travel to eastern Canada lots of times since it was taking over 2yrs at the time for AOS. These days, need to make sure you have proper passport to go with the AP/EAD. Be ready for grilling at the border any time. I was driving back at the time.

--

02/27/08 - sent I-751 (remove conditions)

03/07/08 - check cleared

04/24/08 - transferred to VSC

04/25/08 - touched

08/??/08 - reschedule photo & prints

09/19/08 - photo & fingerprints

12/25/08 - touched

12/31/08 - card production ordered

06/14/11 - N-400 app sent

06/16/11 - N-400 NOA

07/07/11 - Biometrics appt.

09/07/11 - N-400 Interview

09/26/11 - Oath ceremony

Timeline

Thanks for all the replys!! good.gif

I know that I usually get grilled at the Detroit/Windsor tunnel and I'm a USC!! blush.gif So we will be sure to allow for extra time and just expect the possibility of getting sent to secondary!! We will make sure we bring all of his AOS/EAD/AP paper work along with passport and EAD/AP card!

Filed: Timeline

So we will be sure to allow for extra time and just expect the possibility of getting sent to secondary!!

No "possibility" about it. He will be sent to secondary to process the AP because that's where they process the I-94's, which he'll receive. It will be dated to expire with the end date of his AP. They will stamp one of the AP docs with this info and keep it. Then they will stamp the other AP doc and hand it back to him. Each time he reenters the US with an AP document he will be sent to secondary. There is no way around it.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

No "possibility" about it. He will be sent to secondary to process the AP because that's where they process the I-94's, which he'll receive. It will be dated to expire with the end date of his AP. They will stamp one of the AP docs with this info and keep it. Then they will stamp the other AP doc and hand it back to him. Each time he reenters the US with an AP document he will be sent to secondary. There is no way around it.

I agree that the whole point of the AP is so you can leave and enter the United States. I almost think it would be worth the drive to the Bluewater Bridge just to avoid the Detroit border, but you would have to have the time. That's just me and I don't mind driving the extra.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.