marklovetina

Banks here in USA

15 posts in this topic

hello, my EAD just got approved but my AOS is still pending... i have some application on banks here in US PT/FT.. if ever they call me for an interview is my EAD fine even i dont have yet my GC...?

one of the bank where i submitted my application called me today bcoz i passed their assessment test online and i am scheduled for bank branch interview but it was cancelled, ( 2nd time i applied on this bank- first i just tried w/o my EAD/ GC, and again with my EAD)... but the girl in the HR is insisting that they need my AOS card not the EAD, i am telling them that i am legal to work here in USA bcoz of my EAD now that's why i applied again... i am so confused right now... do really banks here dont honor the EAD...? or the HR employee dont know about EAD...? She is telling me that they will only consider me if i already have my GC.. :angry::(:crying:

Edited by marklovetina
N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

The EAD allows you to work while you wait for the AOS to finish.

You usually get the EAD prior to the GC.

They may not want to wonder if you will eventually get the greencard - since the EAD is temporary.

Other than that - the HR should allow you to work - since the EAD allows you to do so.

Edited by Bobby+Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Acceptable Documents

As far as I know, they HAVE TO accept your EAD card. The GC is not requirement to apply for a job if you have your EAD. Check the link above and you will see which documents they must accept from you. You could even print this and show it to the person in charge of hiring to prove that you are right and they cannot deny you the job if you have your EAD.

K1 VISA

2010-10-13 Richie sent petition

2010-10-22 NOA1

2010-10-29 touched

2011-03-29 NOA2 (e-mail)

2011-04-04 NOA2 (hard copy)

2011-04-06 NVC received

2011-04-12 Consulate received

2011-04-12 Packet 3 Received

2011-04-12 Packet 3 sent to consulate

2011-04-15 Packet 3 received by consulate

2011-04-29 Packet 4 received (e-mail)

2011-05-12 Packet 4 received by mail

2011-05-19 Interview:APPROVED!!!!

2011-05-26 Visa received

2011-05-27 Entry to the USA (POE:Dallas)

2011-07-09 Wedding!!

AOS

2011-07-29 AOS package sent

2011-08-04 NOA 1 (e-mail)

2011-08-11 NOA 1 (hard copy)

2011-08-24 Biometrics

2011-08-29 I-485 transferred to CSC

2011-10-03 EAD and AP Document received!!

2011-10-27 Green Card production ordered!!

2011-10-31 Welcome letter received

2011-11-02 Greencard with incorrect data received

2011-11-05 I-90 submitted

2011-11-18 NOA 1

2011-12-12 Biometrics Appointment letter received

2011-12-21 Biometrics

2012-01-13 Green Card received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Angola
Timeline

Did you receive the EAD card from USCIS? You have a Social Security card as well? Your timeline seems quick. If so, the bank is illegally discriminating against you

"Can I refuse to hire a person who shows an employment authorization card that will expire in three months, if the job is permanent?

An employer may not refuse to hire an individual or refuse to accept a document because it has a future expiration date. You must accept any document (from List A or List C) listed on Form I-9 that on it’s face reasonably appears to be genuine and to relate to the person presenting it. To do otherwise could be an unfair immigration-related employment practice in violation of the anti-discrimination provision of the INA. (USCIS Handbook for Employers at page 27.)"

http://www.i-9compliance.com/FAQ.aspx

"Considering a future employment authorization expiration date in determining whether an alien is qualified for a particular job may constitute employment discrimination."

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/m-274.pdf

The EAD allows you to work while you wait for the AOS to finish.

You usually get the EAD prior to the GC.

They may not want to wonder if you will eventually get the greencard - since the EAD is temporary.

Other than that - the HR should allow you to work - since the EAD allows you to do so.

yeah that's what i told her and she told me that the company dont provide for sponsorship and i told her too i dont the need company's sponsorship bcoz i already applied for a permanent resident and just waiting for the approval, but she still insisting i need my GC before they consider me.. uhmmm i think she doenst know about EAD.. :crying::(

Edited by marklovetina
N-400:

My Group

My Blog

Acceptable Documents

As far as I know, they HAVE TO accept your EAD card. The GC is not requirement to apply for a job if you have your EAD. Check the link above and you will see which documents they must accept from you. You could even print this and show it to the person in charge of hiring to prove that you are right and they cannot deny you the job if you have your EAD.

oh thank u for the link i will read this and print... :thumbs:

N-400:

My Group

My Blog

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sounds like the lady in the HR department doesnt know what she is talking about or doing.....

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Did you receive the EAD card from USCIS? You have a Social Security card as well? Your timeline seems quick. If so, the bank is illegally discriminating against you

"Can I refuse to hire a person who shows an employment authorization card that will expire in three months, if the job is permanent?

An employer may not refuse to hire an individual or refuse to accept a document because it has a future expiration date. You must accept any document (from List A or List C) listed on Form I-9 that on it’s face reasonably appears to be genuine and to relate to the person presenting it. To do otherwise could be an unfair immigration-related employment practice in violation of the anti-discrimination provision of the INA. (USCIS Handbook for Employers at page 27.)"

http://www.i-9compliance.com/FAQ.aspx

"Considering a future employment authorization expiration date in determining whether an alien is qualified for a particular job may constitute employment discrimination."

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/m-274.pdf

thank u.. i will read the link with my husband... coz honestly my husband heard this EAD for the 1st time too.. and he doenst know about the EAD thing too.. :yes:

N-400:

My Group

My Blog

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello, my EAD just got approved but my AOS is still pending... i have some application on banks here in US PT/FT.. if ever they call me for an interview is my EAD fine even i dont have yet my GC...?

one of the bank where i submitted my application called me today bcoz i passed their assessment test online and i am scheduled for bank branch interview but it was cancelled, ( 2nd time i applied on this bank- first i just tried w/o my EAD/ GC, and again with my EAD)... but the girl in the HR is insisting that they need my AOS card not the EAD, i am telling them that i am legal to work here in USA bcoz of my EAD now that's why i applied again... i am so confused right now... do really banks here dont honor the EAD...? or the HR employee dont know about EAD...? She is telling me that they will only consider me if i already have my GC.. :angry::(:crying:

To me it seems like the bank HR person is violating your civil rights, :protest: I am not a lawyer but that is how I see this.. Good luck...

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

That HR person/the company are both uniformed or misinformed about the law.

Ask for HR person for the fax number, fax a copy of the I-9 showing her the EAD is from List A and point out that nowhere is a GC required for employment, nor can the employer request certain documents.

Ask for her company email or look on her business card to get her email. Then email the link "Handbook For Employers."

Looks like that bank is ignorant or wilfully violating the law and discrimating against you. However, their ignorance of the law is no excuse.

You're in America now, you have a helluva lot more protection and leverage with regards to employment, unlike the Philippines.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

That HR person/the company are both uniformed or misinformed about the law.

Ask for HR person for the fax number, fax a copy of the I-9 showing her the EAD is from List A and point out that nowhere is a GC required for employment, nor can the employer request certain documents.

Ask for her company email or look on her business card to get her email. Then email the link "Handbook For Employers."

Looks like that bank is ignorant or wilfully violating the law and discrimating against you. However, their ignorance of the law is no excuse.

You're in America now, you have a helluva lot more protection and leverage with regards to employment, unlike the Philippines.

:yes::thumbs: thank u, yes i'll gonna give her a call tomorrow...

N-400:

My Group

My Blog

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You're welcome Tina.

If you need help, let me know...the bank is plain wrong and in violation of the law.

Edited by Leatherneck

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Have you visited the site below? My company seldom hires applicants applicants without a Greencard. We do H1B students but not that often as there is an expense involved. The prevelant issue in hiring practices will rest in the state you reside in. Have you tried a small local branch?

It may be more difficult to get a job with your current status but many companies will take the time to consider you if you keep applying. I'm sure you'll find a job. As for "Civil Rights" you'll want to wait until you are a USC to discuss those. I'd study alot about the rights of Visa holders and that's not advice you want to take here. It's very different for you than it is a USC or PR. Good luck on the job hunting!

USCIS Link

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here's the actual act that deals with discrimination based on status

Have you visited the site below? My company seldom hires applicants applicants without a Greencard. We do H1B students but not that often as there is an expense involved. The prevelant issue in hiring practices will rest in the state you reside in. Have you tried a small local branch?

It may be more difficult to get a job with your current status but many companies will take the time to consider you if you keep applying. I'm sure you'll find a job. As for "Civil Rights" you'll want to wait until you are a USC to discuss those. I'd study alot about the rights of Visa holders and that's not advice you want to take here. It's very different for you than it is a USC or PR. Good luck on the job hunting!

USCIS Link

USCIS Link

ok yeah now i read the link about Form I-9, but i am still confused on the section 2... its says here list A or B and C... do i need one card for each list? like one card for A, B, and C? :huh::blush:

the cards i only have here in US are, my military dependent card, EAD, SSN card...

Edited by marklovetina
N-400:

My Group

My Blog

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.