one...two...tree

Why do you hate liberals and liberalism so much?

345 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

What, no incanada?

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

What, no incanada?

Too intellectual :P

Just wait - we'll get a rant/tirade yet

be nice....just because you and her don't see eye to eye, it's not enough reason to allude that she's not bright.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What, no incanada?

be nice....just because you and her don't see eye to eye, it's not enough reason to allude that she's not bright.

We'll see.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
liberalism.jpg

snag!

and me too :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

It just shows how much confusion is out there. That very many people are completely unable to separate a fairly wide political philosophy from partisan politics. Meauxna was right early on - that "Liberal" is a word that really needs to be reclaimed.

Again you need only look at US economic policy to see liberalism at work, under the umbrella of Republican Conservatism.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
It just shows how much confusion is out there. That very many people are completely unable to separate a fairly wide political philosophy from partisan politics. Meauxna was right early on - that "Liberal" is a word that really needs to be reclaimed.

Again you need only look at US economic policy to see liberalism at work, under the umbrella of Republican Conservatism.

Here's something interesting...

True Conservatives Should Take A Stand

by Robert Steinback

Conservatism in America, as I once understood it, is dead.

Or it may only be missing in action, but it is almost nowhere in evidence lately. Conservatism was last seen being abducted by the Bushervatives.

These folks view politics not as a contest between competing ideologies but as a mission to defeat the nefarious ''other side,'' however defined. They have no consistent ideology, as near as I can tell, except to be against anyone who isn't with them.

Such people alarm me, for those who consider winning more important than ideological clarity can't be trusted to use power wisely and in the national interest.

I miss authentic conservatives, not because I've ever been accused of being one, but because I love to debate them. Debates are tests of crisply presented ideas, facts and logic. Authentic conservatives love putting their ideas on the line in lively discussions with those of my ilk.

Bushervatives don't do debates. They are the spawn of the Newt Gingrich/Rush Limbaugh win-first school of politicking, which asks, Why enlighten people when you can confuse them?

Why talk with ideological opponents when you can insult them? Why engage them individually when you can debase them collectively? Why talk about your candidate when you can invoke the ghost of Bill Clinton?

George W. Bush calls himself a conservative. He cuts taxes, mentions God a lot and wears cowboy boots to international summits -- but he doesn't sound much like the conservatives I've known and debated.

Based on Bush's performance, conservatives could be cast as the people who unbalance balanced budgets with massive tax cuts, who mangle and misstate the truth to goad the nation into supporting an invasion, who applaud an all-powerful central government that can spy on and detain individuals while answering to no one, who favor big business over small entrepreneurs and who shirk international cooperation yet complain when other nations don't roll over for us.

They could be cast as people who play games with words. Millions of antiwar demonstrators are ''focus groups.'' Poor Haitian refugees are terrorist threats. The war we started is declared over even as American military personnel keep dying. A Federal Communications Commission ruling enabling huge media conglomerates to scarf up more newspapers and broadcast channels is called a boost to competition.

They could be regarded as people who thrive on confusion, as evidenced by the recent poll showing that a third of the American public believes U.S. forces actually found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Or as those who thrive on fear, moving our ''terrorism threat index'' up or down for reasons no civilian can evaluate.

This isn't true conservative ideology; this is Bushervative mishandling of government.

I'm well acquainted with why liberals and moderates are highly distressed by governance of this sort. But I don't understand why true conservatives are silent.

True conservatives, for example, support lower taxes and smaller government. But I never thought they'd countenance tax cuts so extreme that, when piled atop a weak economy, turn a projected $5.7 trillion budget surplus into a now-projected $4 trillion deficit. That's not conservative. That's irresponsible.

I never figured true conservatives would tolerate parlor tricks like Congress purportedly trimming the president's requested $726 billion tax cut to $350 billion by attaching an expiration date -- yeah, sure -- to the cuts.

If tax cuts were in order, the true conservatives I've known would rather maximize the number of Americans who would benefit rather than giving the lion's share to the already-rich. An across-the-board benefit -- in flat dollars, not percentages -- would deliver significant tax relief to far more modest-income people, who would more likely spend it and boost the economy.

And so on. My guess is that ideological conservatives have been flimflammed into believing that even Bushervative hypocrisy is better than the dreaded ''other side.'' Though lately, a few are showing signs of stirring from their stupor.

Columnist William Safire blasted the Bush administration stance on the FCC changes. Fellow righty George Will has mustered enough nerve to gingerly hint the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq could represent a credibility problem for the president. More than a few conservatives opposed Bush's cynical stance against the University of Michigan's diversity admissions policies.

Still, Bush is poised to do more damage to the concept of pure conservatism than anyone since the nation's leading conservatives locked arms against the Civil Rights movement a half century ago.

And that would take all the challenge out of debating conservatives. It would be too easy.

Timeline
Here's something interesting...

True Conservatives Should Take A Stand

by Robert Steinback

Conservatism in America, as I once understood it, is dead.

Or it may only be missing in action, but it is almost nowhere in evidence lately. Conservatism was last seen being abducted by the Bushervatives.

These folks view politics not as a contest between competing ideologies but as a mission to defeat the nefarious ''other side,'' however defined. They have no consistent ideology, as near as I can tell, except to be against anyone who isn't with them.

Such people alarm me, for those who consider winning more important than ideological clarity can't be trusted to use power wisely and in the national interest.

I miss authentic conservatives, not because I've ever been accused of being one, but because I love to debate them. Debates are tests of crisply presented ideas, facts and logic. Authentic conservatives love putting their ideas on the line in lively discussions with those of my ilk.

Bushervatives don't do debates. They are the spawn of the Newt Gingrich/Rush Limbaugh win-first school of politicking, which asks, Why enlighten people when you can confuse them?

Why talk with ideological opponents when you can insult them? Why engage them individually when you can debase them collectively? Why talk about your candidate when you can invoke the ghost of Bill Clinton?

George W. Bush calls himself a conservative. He cuts taxes, mentions God a lot and wears cowboy boots to international summits -- but he doesn't sound much like the conservatives I've known and debated.

Based on Bush's performance, conservatives could be cast as the people who unbalance balanced budgets with massive tax cuts, who mangle and misstate the truth to goad the nation into supporting an invasion, who applaud an all-powerful central government that can spy on and detain individuals while answering to no one, who favor big business over small entrepreneurs and who shirk international cooperation yet complain when other nations don't roll over for us.

They could be cast as people who play games with words. Millions of antiwar demonstrators are ''focus groups.'' Poor Haitian refugees are terrorist threats. The war we started is declared over even as American military personnel keep dying. A Federal Communications Commission ruling enabling huge media conglomerates to scarf up more newspapers and broadcast channels is called a boost to competition.

They could be regarded as people who thrive on confusion, as evidenced by the recent poll showing that a third of the American public believes U.S. forces actually found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Or as those who thrive on fear, moving our ''terrorism threat index'' up or down for reasons no civilian can evaluate.

This isn't true conservative ideology; this is Bushervative mishandling of government.

I'm well acquainted with why liberals and moderates are highly distressed by governance of this sort. But I don't understand why true conservatives are silent.

True conservatives, for example, support lower taxes and smaller government. But I never thought they'd countenance tax cuts so extreme that, when piled atop a weak economy, turn a projected $5.7 trillion budget surplus into a now-projected $4 trillion deficit. That's not conservative. That's irresponsible.

I never figured true conservatives would tolerate parlor tricks like Congress purportedly trimming the president's requested $726 billion tax cut to $350 billion by attaching an expiration date -- yeah, sure -- to the cuts.

If tax cuts were in order, the true conservatives I've known would rather maximize the number of Americans who would benefit rather than giving the lion's share to the already-rich. An across-the-board benefit -- in flat dollars, not percentages -- would deliver significant tax relief to far more modest-income people, who would more likely spend it and boost the economy.

And so on. My guess is that ideological conservatives have been flimflammed into believing that even Bushervative hypocrisy is better than the dreaded ''other side.'' Though lately, a few are showing signs of stirring from their stupor.

Columnist William Safire blasted the Bush administration stance on the FCC changes. Fellow righty George Will has mustered enough nerve to gingerly hint the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq could represent a credibility problem for the president. More than a few conservatives opposed Bush's cynical stance against the University of Michigan's diversity admissions policies.

Still, Bush is poised to do more damage to the concept of pure conservatism than anyone since the nation's leading conservatives locked arms against the Civil Rights movement a half century ago.

And that would take all the challenge out of debating conservatives. It would be too easy.

Interesting opinion piece. Thanks for posting it. The bolded part in particular is a fairly accurate summing up of my views on this.

Edited by erekose

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

xxxliberalism.jpg

Liberals hardly have the corner market on whining....plllllleeeeeez... don't make me go there.

:lol:

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Here we go again... there's no 'right' or 'wrong' or 'liberal' or 'conservative'. In fact the word 'label' should be removed from the dictionary. WE GET IT!!

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline
Here we go again... there's no 'right' or 'wrong' or 'liberal' or 'conservative'. In fact the word 'label' should be removed from the dictionary. WE GET IT!!

Actually I'd rather settle for people not misinterpreting things (using labels to further their own narrow agendas) and calling an apple an orange, which is something you have just done to my previous post. Second time today I might add ;)

Edited by erekose

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

What, no incanada?

What a hypocrite. You do that all the time.