Lexy

LPR question

22 posts in this topic

Once the conditions are removed on residency by filing the I-751, when would the new card expire? In another 2 years? Thanks for your help. :)

We met, we fell in love, we married, we live as one! And that's the way love goes...:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Once the conditions are removed on residency by filing the I-751, when would the new card expire? In another 2 years? Thanks for your help. :)

10 years. If you're married to your USC you are eligible for US citizenship 3 years (minus 90 days) after becoming an LPR. If you're no longer married its' 5 years (minus 90 days).

10 years. If you're married to your USC you are eligible for US citizenship 3 years (minus 90 days) after becoming an LPR. If you're no longer married its' 5 years (minus 90 days).

Oh thanks.

Do you have to become a US citizen after 3 yrs or do you have a choice when you apply for the US citizenship after receiving the LPR status?

For example instead of filing the N-400 up on the 3 yr mark, file 6 months later or 12 months later? Or in 15 yrs time?

Edited by Lexy

We met, we fell in love, we married, we live as one! And that's the way love goes...:)

Timeline

Oh thanks.

Do you have to become a US citizen after 3 yrs or do you have a choice when you apply for the US citizenship after receiving the LPR status?

For example instead of filing the N-400 up on the 3 yr mark, file 6 months later or 12 months later? Or in 15 yrs time?

You become ELIGIBLE but you don't have to. The one reason I'll be doing it as soon as I have the money (and am eligible of course) is so that I'm finally DONE with immigration. I can go back to Aus if I want for however long I want, without issue. I just have this feeling that it will be "freeing".. time will tell of course :P

You become ELIGIBLE but you don't have to. The one reason I'll be doing it as soon as I have the money (and am eligible of course) is so that I'm finally DONE with immigration. I can go back to Aus if I want for however long I want, without issue. I just have this feeling that it will be "freeing".. time will tell of course :P

I understand. I also want to be free of the whole filing process. However, I still want to retain my Australian citizenship and renouncing it while taking the oath in the US is a little weird. It boggles my mind ...

Timeline

I understand. I also want to be free of the whole filing process. However, I still want to retain my Australian citizenship and renouncing it while taking the oath in the US is a little weird. It boggles my mind ...

We do retain Aussie citizenship but I agree.. the wording is strange. The US doesn't stop you from having more than one citizenship but once you take the Oath and become a USC they they consider you to be a USC, nothing else. In Australia of course you're Australian AND American. The US does NOT control your other countries citizenship though. In order to give up Aussie citizenship, Australia requires for you to do it in writing. Some other countries on the other hand consider simply taking the US oath as having given up your home countries citizenship (China for example).

Personally I've sort of come to terms with it in that (once I've taken the Oath) in the US I'm American, and if asked, I'm American. Australian-American but American. I'm fine with living by US rules. I'm fine with the idea of doing my part as an American (jury duty interest me actually but I still won't vote). The one part for me that I need to either come to terms with or remove is the references to God in the oath. I want to remove it but I understand it's not as easy as just not saying it, I need to prove that it's not something I believe in.. or some crud like that... :S

We do retain Aussie citizenship but I agree.. the wording is strange. The US doesn't stop you from having more than one citizenship but once you take the Oath and become a USC they they consider you to be a USC, nothing else. In Australia of course you're Australian AND American. The US does NOT control your other countries citizenship though. In order to give up Aussie citizenship, Australia requires for you to do it in writing. Some other countries on the other hand consider simply taking the US oath as having given up your home countries citizenship (China for example).

Personally I've sort of come to terms with it in that (once I've taken the Oath) in the US I'm American, and if asked, I'm American. Australian-American but American. I'm fine with living by US rules. I'm fine with the idea of doing my part as an American (jury duty interest me actually but I still won't vote). The one part for me that I need to either come to terms with or remove is the references to God in the oath. I want to remove it but I understand it's not as easy as just not saying it, I need to prove that it's not something I believe in.. or some crud like that... :S

I see your point and it makes sense. What about traveling on my Australian passport while being an American citizen. Is that allowed? Will that be unethical? And if I go back to Australia to work then I have to pay tax to 2 countries? Or pay more tax than any other citizen of either country AUS/US? That is unfair, isn't it? Isn't this prejudicial to the those who have dual citizenship?

I do not mind the oath that much, only the wording - renunciation to my country Australia. And I do know I am not really giving it up but laws change and you never know how Australia will chance its own tune in the future. It kind of hurts...

Vanessa&Tony, I truly appreciate your responses. It makes things easier to understand.:)

Edited by Lexy

Timeline

I see your point and it makes sense. What about traveling on my Australian passport while being an American citizen. Is that allowed? Will that be unethical?

And if I go back to Australia to work then I have to pay tax to 2 countries? Or pay more tax than any other citizen of either country AUS/US? That is unfair, isn't it? Isn't this prejudicial to the those who have dual citizenship?

Travelling on your Aussie passport is completely fine, as long as you leave and enter the US on your American passport.

You are right that if you return to Australia you have to DECLARE taxes in the US (must file taxes yearly) but there is a threshold for foreign income. I'll have to find the exact amount for for example say if $50K, and money you earn under that isn't taxed in the US. I do agree that it's completely unfair and ridiculous (which is why Australia doesn't do it, or the UK, or any other country that I have direct knowledge of) but I suppose it's America's way of keeping tabs on their people... hence the requirement to ALWAYS show the US passport when leaving or entering.

Here is info on what is reportable: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/article/0,,id=180946,00.html

Here's the income amount: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=108276,00.html The amount is pretty high, $90K per person.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Travelling on your Aussie passport is completely fine, as long as you leave and enter the US on your American passport.

You are right that if you return to Australia you have to DECLARE taxes in the US (must file taxes yearly) but there is a threshold for foreign income. I'll have to find the exact amount for for example say if $50K, and money you earn under that isn't taxed in the US. I do agree that it's completely unfair and ridiculous (which is why Australia doesn't do it, or the UK, or any other country that I have direct knowledge of) but I suppose it's America's way of keeping tabs on their people... hence the requirement to ALWAYS show the US passport when leaving or entering.

Here is info on what is reportable: http://www.irs.gov/b...=180946,00.html

Here's the income amount: http://www.irs.gov/n...=108276,00.html The amount is pretty high, $90K per person.

I really don't know about citizenship here Vanessa as I will never be an American, will always be an Australian. Just so don't know that I want to do it or not but then I have some time to think about it yet.:blush:

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

I really don't know about citizenship here Vanessa as I will never be an American, will always be an Australian. Just so don't know that I want to do it or not but then I have some time to think about it yet.:blush:

See when it's separate like that "American" I don't like it. I love my husband but some American's are just... bad enough that the title is petrifying... which is why I will ALWAYS be an Australian-American.. not "just" American (well technically British-Australian-American . or BAA.. sheep :P). I've been having a "miss home" phase lately. Keep talking myself out of it but I think it's basically because I deal with rude, arrogant, entitled, narrow-minded "America is the best country in the world" Americans who've never even left the country, on a weekly basis and it just starts to get me down. Australia's not perfect, but I definitely prefer the people. I see nicer people more often than I see rude pr*cks where the reverse is true here atm.

Thanks so much for your input Vanessa&T. I am more knowledgeable now and have something to ponder over.

BarbaraJ - I am with you on that. But we still have some time to make that decision :) .

This discussion is making me homesick now...

Edited by Lexy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

See when it's separate like that "American" I don't like it. I love my husband but some American's are just... bad enough that the title is petrifying... which is why I will ALWAYS be an Australian-American.. not "just" American (well technically British-Australian-American . or BAA.. sheep :P). I've been having a "miss home" phase lately. Keep talking myself out of it but I think it's basically because I deal with rude, arrogant, entitled, narrow-minded "America is the best country in the world" Americans who've never even left the country, on a weekly basis and it just starts to get me down. Australia's not perfect, but I definitely prefer the people. I see nicer people more often than I see rude pr*cks where the reverse is true here atm.

Yeah I am feeling homesick too as Wayland is away so that does not help being here all alone with no friends or family I hate it. I like your analogy BAA :thumbs: And I know what you mean about narrow mindedness here in Augusta they are not too bad and I am accepted most places but like yesterday I was in the servo getting lottery tickets and the older lady was serving someone and the younger girl just ignored me as she was fiddling with scratchies and talking with the other customer too. When the older lady was finished she served me and was so nice. I have prejudice here with the young black women of a certain age. I am over the south that's for sure and did not think I would ever say this but craving an Aussie accent thank God I have Lyndal to chat with now and then. Don;t get me wrong I love the yank accent but the southern one is draining after a while.:whistle: You know one of Way's cousins said that to me " there is no place like home America" I went off calmly lol and stated to her you cant make that statement as you have never lived anywhere else and she said yes I have lived (get this) Jamaica and Honduras Oh please so you are comparing 3rd world countries to America when you have never seen Australia or England or Europe. She is from NY and she is the reason why NYorkers get a bad name of being loud and obnoxious.Her son was offered an school exchange in Japan next year and she wont let him go .

You are right Lexy we have a while to think about it yet.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Oh thanks.

One reason to do it asap is that as LPR, you are still deportable, if a felony has been committed. In these days of Patriot Act and such other security driven laws and regulations, you would be surprised of what is considered a felony. Some have found this the hard way.

Another reason is to have the right to vote; which might not be high in priorities for some, but I think it is important to exercise that right. Is not just presidential elections, but any referendum or bill allows only registered voters.

Yeah I am feeling homesick too as Wayland is away so that does not help being here all alone with no friends or family I hate it. I like your analogy BAA :thumbs: And I know what you mean about narrow mindedness here in Augusta they are not too bad and I am accepted most places but like yesterday I was in the servo getting lottery tickets and the older lady was serving someone and the younger girl just ignored me as she was fiddling with scratchies and talking with the other customer too. When the older lady was finished she served me and was so nice. I have prejudice here with the young black women of a certain age. I am over the south that's for sure and did not think I would ever say this but craving an Aussie accent thank God I have Lyndal to chat with now and then. Don;t get me wrong I love the yank accent but the southern one is draining after a while.:whistle: You know one of Way's cousins said that to me " there is no place like home America" I went off calmly lol and stated to her you cant make that statement as you have never lived anywhere else and she said yes I have lived (get this) Jamaica and Honduras Oh please so you are comparing 3rd world countries to America when you have never seen Australia or England or Europe. She is from NY and she is the reason why NYorkers get a bad name of being loud and obnoxious.Her son was offered an school exchange in Japan next year and she wont let him go .

You are right Lexy we have a while to think about it yet.

Take the good things, don't let the bad ones take you down. This is true in almost every country you could ever be. Having myself lived in 8+ (so called '3rd world' included) for enough time as to consider it 'home'.

Here is info on what is reportable: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/article/0,,id=180946,00.html

Here's the income amount: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=108276,00.html The amount is pretty high, $90K per person.

I have 3 passports myself, completely legit.

Many countries have a double taxation treaty with the US (don't know about Australia, but most EU countries do). In fact, if you are getting income on a country where double taxation treaties exist, it is possible to actually pay less (because only the net income is taxed, not the gross, this is a major difference; there are tax credits, etc to reduce the gross). If you happen to have considerable income or other assets, you want to get an expert on this kind of things; otherwise it is possible to do it on your own, but it's tricky and hard, let alone prone to errors of interpretation; and IRS never ever forgets money you owe them.

You can also surrender US nationality anytime if you feel like is not working for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.