lax75

Tax documents and N400 filing

12 posts in this topic

Hello Ladies and G's,

I am getting ready to file my N400 and need to know if the Tax Return documents should also be included in the documents that I send. Please note that I am filing based on the 5 year rule. Talked to an attorney who informed me that I don't need to initially send the tax return documents, but I should take the documents with me when I go for the interview in case the IO asks for them.

Also, do I need to include copies of traffic ticket court dispositions along with the N400 too?

Please advise. Thks

Here's the document checklist.... use it as a guide

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Thanks v333k.

I read through the official checklist, have a question. Would my traffic citations be considered arrests WITH/WITHOUT charges? I have 2 violations which are under $200 a piece, and want to know if I need to send in court dispositions along with my N400 documents.

From what I see, bases on the 5 year rule, I don't need to send in my tax return documents.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks v333k.

I read through the official checklist, have a question. Would my traffic citations be considered arrests WITH/WITHOUT charges? I have 2 violations which are under $200 a piece, and want to know if I need to send in court dispositions along with my N400 documents.

From what I see, bases on the 5 year rule, I don't need to send in my tax return documents.

Thanks

I beleive, you do not report your traffic violations unless it is DUI or some other major offence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Ladies and G's,

I am getting ready to file my N400 and need to know if the Tax Return documents should also be included in the documents that I send. Please note that I am filing based on the 5 year rule. Talked to an attorney who informed me that I don't need to initially send the tax return documents, but I should take the documents with me when I go for the interview in case the IO asks for them.

Also, do I need to include copies of traffic ticket court dispositions along with the N400 too?

Please advise. Thks

When I sent in my N400, I included tax transcripts. It was later I realized that I had already passed the 5 year mark. They basically ignore any "marriage" evidence at that point since its been 5 yrs. Makes everything quicker though during interview. They'll double check that you were the person that filed the N400. They ask you questions that you answered on the N400 to verify you answer the same as you filed. They'll quickly (at least for me) start asking the test questions and proof of reading & writing english.

--

02/27/08 - sent I-751 (remove conditions)

03/07/08 - check cleared

04/24/08 - transferred to VSC

04/25/08 - touched

08/??/08 - reschedule photo & prints

09/19/08 - photo & fingerprints

12/25/08 - touched

12/31/08 - card production ordered

06/14/11 - N-400 app sent

06/16/11 - N-400 NOA

07/07/11 - Biometrics appt.

09/07/11 - N-400 Interview

09/26/11 - Oath ceremony

Hello Jethro,

Thanks for the input. Did you have any traffic citations? Yes, when I went through the checklist, I noticed the documents required for those based on 5 year rule is highly reduced. Made me feel it was even too good to be true, but the official checklist is the official checklist. The attorney I spoke with informed me that they don't ask for the tax transcripts because like they will conduct a background check on applicants, and what they are only concerned about is that you filed and that you don't have any unpaid taxes.

At this point, I have all the req'd documents, but still not 100% sure if I need the court dispositions on my traffic tickets.

Filed: Other Timeline

I beleive, you do not report your traffic violations unless it is DUI or some other major offence.

I do not know what "beleive" means (tried to look it up), but everything is reported in the N-400. What's not needed is documentation for such stuff if it's under $500. Doesn't hurt to take it to the interview nonetheless, however.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Stepdaughter got a decision cannot be made at this time because he demanded proof those small fines were paid. But my senators office straightened him out on that issue. Several on this board reported the same thing, and had to go back in with an infopass to show those fines were paid. Tis the latest bug up some IO's butt, if not too inconvenient, would bring proof you paid those fines. But really shouldn't even be demanded.

I do not know what "beleive" means (tried to look it up), but everything is reported in the N-400. What's not needed is documentation for such stuff if it's under $500. Doesn't hurt to take it to the interview nonetheless, however.

Thanks for that. Yes, I will definitely to "report" all citations and will make sure I have all the documentation (court dispositions) with me when I am called for the interview.

Stepdaughter got a decision cannot be made at this time because he demanded proof those small fines were paid. But my senators office straightened him out on that issue. Several on this board reported the same thing, and had to go back in with an infopass to show those fines were paid. Tis the latest bug up some IO's butt, if not too inconvenient, would bring proof you paid those fines. But really shouldn't even be demanded.

Thanks Nick. Will definitely make sure I have the court dispositions with me at the interview. As well as all my tax transcripts (W2's included, I read a post on here where someone was asked for the W2's too). Reason why I'm asking all these questions is because I would like to avoid any RFE's prior to the interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks Nick. Will definitely make sure I have the court dispositions with me at the interview. As well as all my tax transcripts (W2's included, I read a post on here where someone was asked for the W2's too). Reason why I'm asking all these questions is because I would like to avoid any RFE's prior to the interview.

Same here, even brought proof we paid our outrageous property tax bill, but wife said her IO didn't want to see that. But did want to see a joint utility bill. Wonder what they will come out with next that is not required evidence in any of their literature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.