Garfield fan

California is suing carmakers for global warming

158 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well said. :thumbs: I would add that our own Federal Gov't's tax breaks for large vehicles also had a lot to do with SUV's popularity.

SUVs are popular because they are big and useful -- and always will be (especially

for big families.)

I understand you don't have a problem with SUVs per se, but rather the fact that

SUVs tend to be gas-guzzling polluters, right?

No I dont have a problem with SUV's per say but how many times do you see and SUV fully loaded with a family that has 4 more kids. The majority of time I see and SUV is either a solo driver or a couple with a single child in the back. So in my opinion it shows that the ad camplaigns to get people to buy the huge gas guzzling SUV's because they are going to die if they drive anything smaller must have worked pretty well. Companies dont spend millions on advertising cause it might work.

In my book it comes down to the possability that the global warming fanatics are right. If they are right we are killing the planet for all those who come after us and might end the human race. If they are wrong, big deal we mad a few sacrafices and did a few things that in the long run were good for the planet anyway.

I have this arguement with a guy at work bunch. He says if you run the numbers hybrids just do not make economical sense. I asked him if he donated to charity. He said yes, I asked why? He said to help those causes I believe in. I asked him, does it make economical sense to donate to a charity? Sometimes things are not always about ecnomics. I am not saying everyone should be forced to do this because their are people who just cant afford to make that sort of choice. But what I pointed out to him is that those people who are buying hybrids and doing other things are making a socail choice just like you do when you donate to a charity. He stopped telling me I was an idiot to consider buying a hybrid.

Paul

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well said. :thumbs: I would add that our own Federal Gov't's tax breaks for large vehicles also had a lot to do with SUV's popularity.

SUVs are popular because they are big and useful -- and always will be (especially

for big families.)

I understand you don't have a problem with SUVs per se, but rather the fact that

SUVs tend to be gas-guzzling polluters, right?

Yes. Although years ago when I was in the market for a family size vehicle I researched and found that minivans overall have more passenger and cargo space, are safer, and more fuel efficient than SUV's. Check out the stats - which makes you wonder why so many people assume SUV's hold more space and are safer? A lot of that assumption comes from advertisement and marketing.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

As an inhabitant of a state that keeps Kansas afloat, I would say, yes. I find it somewhat paradoxical that states whose inhabitants are opposed to federal taxation and to the big states in general have no qualms acceppting alms from those same states. And a return of 12% on every dollar is pretty heavy (although there are worse culprits).

so what is that 12 cents on the dollar spent on?

(and given that map, i'd not call kansas a state that "relies heavily" on that.

You live in Kansas, you should know. I'm in a state that gets less than a dollar back from the federal government, so they've started selling interstates here to finance the state's obligation. I'd like to know where the money goes to...

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

As an inhabitant of a state that keeps Kansas afloat, I would say, yes. I find it somewhat paradoxical that states whose inhabitants are opposed to federal taxation and to the big states in general have no qualms acceppting alms from those same states. And a return of 12% on every dollar is pretty heavy (although there are worse culprits).

so what is that 12 cents on the dollar spent on?

(and given that map, i'd not call kansas a state that "relies heavily" on that.

You live in Kansas, you should know. I'm in a state that gets less than a dollar back from the federal government, so they've started selling interstates here to finance the state's obligation. I'd like to know where the money goes to...

actually, no i don't see such being spent around here. nor do i see where my tax dollars go. try to avoid the kc to topeka to wichita route - that's a toll road (but if you make the mistake of staying on i-35, you'll regret it even more.......)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For some reason people think SUV's are exciting as opposed to a Sedan which is boring. I doubt that came from anywhere else but advertising. Much like backward baseball caps and baggy SUV's.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

For some reason people think SUV's are exciting as opposed to a Sedan which is boring. I doubt that came from anywhere else but advertising. Much like backward baseball caps and baggy SUV's.

I guess that may also have come because original UV's could take a lot of punishment and still be driveable (albeit, they didn't absorb any shock--driver and passenger received it in full) where plain-jane sedans couldn't.

(if you've ridden in an old army or police jeep, you know they essentially have NO comfort)

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

You're most likely right. Add to that the fact that it symbolizes closeness to the environment and nature which while definitely one of the driving forces in advertising seems to go back to the days when mountain people where driving them to get to their far-away farmsteads.

Also, the perception that big cars are safe cars are comfortable cars seems to play a role. While in reality it is much safer to drive a normal sized car, SUVs are still considered safe (despite the fact that fatality rates for SUVs are much higher, not only for the opposing party but also for those inside the SUV).

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Timeline

I meant to write baggy pants. Doh!

SUV's -> back to nature Ahhhh... Sort of like a wildlife adventure tour in a Helicopter. Or flying your private jet to shoot a television show to protect nature. This stuff cracks me up.

I noticed in Wal-Mart today that when you buy guns and ammo you pay a tax that goes towards something called the Federal Wildlife Protection Fund.

The Fund spends this money on Hunter Education and building shooting ranges. Perception and reality are so far apart sometimes its a wonder anyone can think straight on any issue.

IR1

Citizenship

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

SUV's -> back to nature Ahhhh... Sort of like a wildlife adventure tour in a Helicopter. Or flying your private jet to shoot a television show to protect nature. This stuff cracks me up.

I noticed in Wal-Mart today that when you buy guns and ammo you pay a tax that goes towards something called the Federal Wildlife Protection Fund.

The Fund spends this money on Hunter Education and building shooting ranges. Perception and reality are so far apart sometimes its a wonder anyone can think straight on any issue.

I agree with that, however, some critics of Al Gore tried to pin the fact that he doesn't do everything he could do personally to reduce greenhouse gases. As you say, perceptions don't always tell the whole story.

Timeline

Yeah, that's just like people in SUVs sporting environmental or pro-wildlife license plate. You got to wonder... ;)

Timeline

I see those "Preserve The Environment" plates on SUV's all the time. I say OK and take out a tire with my 44 lol.

IR1

Citizenship

Timeline

Yeah, that's just like people in SUVs sporting environmental or pro-wildlife license plate. You got to wonder... ;)

well, maybe they go hunting or fishing. not something you'd probably be able to do in a honda hybrid :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

well, maybe they go hunting or fishing. not something you'd probably be able to do in a honda hybrid :lol:

Never had a problem getting out into nature with any type of car I've driven and I haven't even had 4-wheel drive. If I can't drive anymore (which actuallly has never happened), I walk. It's much more fun to hunt and fish that way anyway.

Timeline

Never had a problem getting out into nature with any type of car I've driven and I haven't even had 4-wheel drive. If I can't drive anymore (which actuallly has never happened), I walk. It's much more fun to hunt and fish that way anyway.

maybe so.....but you're not really out in the boonies unless you need 4 wheel drive :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *