bartolo5

RFE after naturalization interview!

14 posts in this topic

Today I had my naturalization interview and everything went well, got a 'recommended for approval' stamp.

however tonight the status of my case online changed to RFE, 'we mailed a notice requesting initial evidence in this case' which doesn't sound quite right.. I also got the emails about RFE.

any ideas of what maybe going on?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Today I had my naturalization interview and everything went well, got a 'recommended for approval' stamp.

however tonight the status of my case online changed to RFE, 'we mailed a notice requesting initial evidence in this case' which doesn't sound quite right.. I also got the emails about RFE.

any ideas of what maybe going on?

Some of us had similar experiences, which have been discussed here.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/320157-received-rfe-after-n-400-interview-help/

I guess you have to wait until you receive the letter. It could be any reason.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

With lack of mind reading ability, good to specify whether you applied for the 3 or the 5 year. Our last experience with the 5 year turned out to be what the field office termed, a "miscommunication". Not a miscommunication error, USCIS does not make errors, just miscommunication.

But can share in your frustration.

Some of us had similar experiences, which have been discussed here.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/320157-received-rfe-after-n-400-interview-help/

I guess you have to wait until you receive the letter. It could be any reason.

Hello Dubliner, I think I am on the same place than your case. I'm on a greencard got through work so I am applying after 5 years. I did apply early, 90 days before but things have gone fast and I had my interview a month before my 5 year mark that will be on 10/24/2011. During the interview everything went well, she didn't ask me for anything extra and said congratulations and that i had been 'recommeded for approval'. She did say that case could not be approved until 10/24/2011 because that was my due date.

I'm really suspecting that this 'RFE' is simply the USCIS putting your case 'on hold' until your date is due. That day things will resume. Seems that's what happened to you.

• 4 weeks later...

I am updating this thread. Today is 10/27/2011 and it's 3 days after my 5 year anniversary that was on 10/24/2011. I haven't heard a peep from the USCIS since they sent me that email saying that I was going to get an RFE. I didn't get anything in the mail, nor I have got any new notifications that the case has been moving since my anniversary date on 10/24/2011. Online status still says 'we sent you an RFE on 10/04/2011 ...'

I am starting to worry because I have to travel in a month and they may schedule my oath while I'm travelling...

Edited by bartolo5

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I am updating this thread. Today is 10/27/2011 and it's 3 days after my 5 year anniversary that was on 10/24/2011. I haven't heard a peep from the USCIS since they sent me that email saying that I was going to get an RFE. I didn't get anything in the mail, nor I have got any new notifications that the case has been moving since my anniversary date on 10/24/2011. Online status still says 'we sent you an RFE on 10/04/2011 ...'

I am starting to worry because I have to travel in a month and they may schedule my oath while I'm travelling...

Call them. You're supposed to get their letters in 14 days period after mailing.

Ara & Anya - Tucson, Arizona

IR-5 for my (Anya's) mother
00 Filed: 03/08/2013

536 POE: 08/26/2014

Father

00 I-130 mailed to Phoenix Lockbox: 05/28/2014

455 POE LAX: 09/03/2015

Brother (9 years old, A2A through LPR mother)

I-130

00 Filed: 09/12/2014

03 Petition accepted at California Service Center, NOA-1 mailed: 09/15/2014

07 NOA-1 received; Priority date is 09/15/2014: 09/19/2014

176 RFE received: 03/07/2015

238 RFE response mailed to CSC: 05/08/2015

242 RFE response received at CSC; Decision to be made before 07/11/2015: 05/12/2015

308 Approved; NOA-2 mailed: 07/17/2015

314 NOA-2 received; Case sent to NVC: 07/23/2015

371 Welcome Letter received; Choice of Agent form submitted: 09/18/2015

374 AoS fee paid: 09/21/2015

416 IV fee paid; IV application submitted: 11/02/2015

452 IV and AoS packets mailed: 12/08/2015

455 Documents received at NVC; Waiting for CC: 12/11/2015

502 Case Complete; Wating for IL: 01/27/2016

504 Interview scheduled for 03/11/2016: 01/29/2016

523 Medical exam: 02/17/2016 Passed

546 Interview: 03/11/2016 PASSED!

549 Visa issued: 03/14/2016

588 POE LAX: 04/22/2016

You should definitely call or better, if the local USCIS office is nearby, schedule an infopass appointment and talk to an officer.

Ok, I just called and talked with a person on the 1800 number, and they were quite polite. They sent a notice to the local office here in San Francisco asking what's up, and they also said I should hear from them, GET THIS, through the email I gave them. Having had to deal with the USCIS for over a decade the concept of having someone in there emailing me directly is mind-boggling. I'll believe it when I see it.

Some more waiting now

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some movement today. After my call to the USCIS two weeks ago, where they told me they would contact the SF office, two things happen today sequencially:

First, I got an email as a response to my inquiry of the local office in San Francisco. The most important part was:

"No further information is needed from you. Your case is currently under review. You should receive a decision or notice of other action within 30 days of the date of this letter."

And then a few hours later my status was updated on the online system.

"On November 7, 2011, we received your response to our request for evidence. This case is being processed at our SAN FRANCISCO, CA location"

Let me reiterate that I never got any RFEs in the mail, even when the online status when from "we sent your an RFE on october 4th.." to "we received your RFE on november 7" all by itself. You gotta love the USCIS.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

have you talked with any ISO at USCIS? You really should, as a Tier 1 CSR is mostly useless.

ISO - http://www.dhs.gov/files/publications/gc_1305658440339.shtm

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like this is finally moving!

"On November 15, 2011, we scheduled you for your oath ceremony and sent a notice providing the date, time, and location. If you move prior to the scheduled ceremony"

So all the RFE status change was basically noise from the online system. I'm suspecting is has to do with my case being put 'on hold' until my 5th year anniversary came around. Let's see when they schedule me because I'm leaving abroad on december 6th

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

No ISO contact? OK !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

No ISO contact? OK !

See the message above. There was not a need to contant anyone else at USCIS because I got an email directly from the San Francisco office telling me that no further action was required from me (therefore the RFE online message was a fluke) and that I just had to wait. This reply was an actual reply to my original inquiry through the 1-800 number.

Now just waiting for that letter on the mail to see what oath date I got.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Congratulations! Now, hopefully that letter doesn't get lost :unsure:

I-485 (Adjustment of Status)

09-03-05: Package mailed to Chicago (I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131)

09-05-05: (Day 000) Package received in Chicago

09-09-05: (Day 004) NOA1

10-22-05: (Day 047) AOS/EAD Biometrics Done

11-15-05: (Day 073) EAD Arrived

11-17-05: (Day 075) AP Arrived

12-07-05: (Day 094) AOS Interview Letter Arrives

01-25-06: (Day 143) AOS Approved!!!

02-02-06: (Day 151) Welcome to America Letter Arrives

02-06-06: (Day 155) Green Card Arrived!!!

I-751 (Removal of conditions)

10-29-07: Package Sent

10-31-07: (Day 000) Package Received at VSC

11-02-07: (Day 002) NOA1

12-20-07: (Day 050) Biometrics

09-03-08: (Day 308) Touched

09-09-08: (Day 314) I-751 Approved!!!

N-400 (Naturalization)

10-20-11: Package Sent

10-21-11: (Day 000) Package received in Phoenix

10-26-11: (Day 005) Check Cashed

10-28-11: (Day 007) NOA1

11-05-11: (Day 015) Biometrics Letter Arrives - Appointment on 11/15/11

11-10-11: (Day 020) Biometrics Completed

01-23-12: (Day 094) Interview Date

03-19-12: (Day 150) Oath Scheduled Notice

03-30-12: (Day 161) Oath Ceremony

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif - Terry 3dflagsdotcom_mexic_2fawm.gif - Blanca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.