AlpacaUSA

Fiancee Applying for Tourist Visa to Meet the Parents

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Dear Visa Journey Friends,

My fiancee lives in Peru and we're currently interested in the K1-Visa, however, I recently graduated college and I'm still looking for a job that pays over 125% poverty rate.

I've see my fiancee, Dina, three times so far, in 2009, and twice in 2010. I'm writing to ask your opinion on my fiancee applying for a tourist visa to visit her aunt and cousins in Miami, Florida. I would drive to Miami and see her.

Dina's mom was approved for the tourist visa to visit her sister and Dina's dad has a missionaries visa to visit the states. Unfortunately, Dina is 30 and w/o children so we know it won't be as easy for her, though, she has a full-time job.

We understand if she is rejected it could raise some red flags during the K1-Visa process, but we'd like to give it a shot. What is your opinion on the risk we're taking on the future hopes of a K1-Visa?

It stinks because it would be so great to have her meet my parents!

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Scott Barr

06-22-2009 - We met each other (1st time) while I was on a mission trip

06-29-2009 - I left for home

05-15-2010 - I returned to Peru for work

05-17-2010 - We saw each other again (2nd time)

05-30-2010 - We became exclusive

07-12-2010 - I left to return home

11-28-2010 - I returned to Peru to stay with my fiancee and her family (3rd time)

11-29-2010 - I asked her parents if I could have her hand in marriage (They said: YES)

12-01-2010 - I proposed to my fiancee (She said: YES)

12-22-2011 - I visited my fiancee and her family for Christmas & New Years (4th time).

01-10-2012 - I left to return home

02-14-2012 - Sent I-129F

02-17-2012 - I-129F USPS delivery confirmation via Dallas, Texas

02-24-2012 - NOA1 Received by text message & email

06-29-2012 - NOA2 Approved.

07-03-2012 - NOA2 HARD COPY Received in mail

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My fiancee lives in Peru and we're currently interested in the K1-Visa, however, I recently graduated college and I'm still looking for a job that pays over 125% poverty rate.

I've see my fiancee, Dina, three times so far, in 2009, and twice in 2010. I'm writing to ask your opinion on my fiancee applying for a tourist visa to visit her aunt and cousins in Miami, Florida. I would drive to Miami and see her.

Dina's mom was approved for the tourist visa to visit her sister and Dina's dad has a missionaries visa to visit the states. Unfortunately, Dina is 30 and w/o children so we know it won't be as easy for her, though, she has a full-time job.

We understand if she is rejected it could raise some red flags during the K1-Visa process, but we'd like to give it a shot. What is your opinion on the risk we're taking on the future hopes of a K1-Visa?

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Scott Barr

I am not so sure they're will be any red flags.. I would certainly maintian evidence of how you met Previously.. You seem like you are already aware of the challenges of applying for a tourist visa..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Her chances of getting a tourist visa are small, but if she can afford to apply, go for it. A denied tourist visa has no effect on the K1 unless she lies during the application.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Go for it, no effect on K-1, unless you commit fraud or lie.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

No harm in trying although chances are low of her getting it. It won't affect the K-1 application so long as she is honest across the board. It would only raise red flags if she came here and then you guys married and tried to file for AOS instead.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Scott Barr

My husband applied for a tourist visa 3 years ago to visit me and meet my parents before our engagement. He was denied. Then we got engaged and applied for the k1 visa - absolutely no problems or red flags when he went back to the embassy for the k1 visa.

Unfortunately, it is really common to be denied the tourist visa in certain countries...our sister-in-law just applied to come and visit us but was denied :( Nonetheless, I wish your fiancee luck!

Filed: Timeline

Really...the folks who are to blame are those countless thousands who acquired a tourist visa using the same story..."oh, I just want to visit my future in-laws'..and then, moments after picking up their luggage at baggage claim, had the usual and supposedly sudden 'change of mind' and ran off to marry and seek adjustment of status....I would be wary too ...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.