TeapotGirl

K-1: Are we going to need co-sponsor?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What does it mean by "must be over 125% above poverty level?

My fiance is just dependent on his pension and social security disability (he is not blind, or deaf but his knees are bd and has ADD. He can have a job but he should not earn over than $1000 or else they will take off his SSD).

His SS Disability is $2100

The pension is 2700 or something

Problem: When they his former job learned about his SS, they reduced the pension to $1600 and they are asking him to pay the $1500 "over payment". They said he could pay it in 3 yrs. So for the next 3 yrs, he is just going to get $800 from the pension + $2100 from SSD. It will only be after 3 yrs, his pension will go back to 2,700 (or something).

His mortgage is $1200, and course utilities like power, cable, homeowners insurance, car repairs...

We still have $10,300 leftover from the SSD lump sum settlement. His brother owed $7,500 but he's going to pay him- technically, it's not showing on his bank account anymore.

His daughter is already 24 yrs old living on her own, no more pets.

Are we going to need a co-sponsor?

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

What does it mean by "must be over 125% above poverty level?

My fiance is just dependent on his pension and social security disability (he is not blind, or deaf but his knees are bd and has ADD. He can have a job but he should not earn over than $1000 or else they will take off his SSD).

His SS Disability is $2100

The pension is 2700 or something

Problem: When they his former job learned about his SS, they reduced the pension to $1600 and they are asking him to pay the $1500 "over payment". They said he could pay it in 3 yrs. So for the next 3 yrs, he is just going to get $800 from the pension + $2100 from SSD. It will only be after 3 yrs, his pension will go back to 2,700 (or something).

His mortgage is $1200, and course utilities like power, cable, homeowners insurance, car repairs...

We still have $10,300 leftover from the SSD lump sum settlement.

Are we going to need a co-sponsor?

yes because he has to make 125% over the poverty level, for 2 people it is over 18 thousand a year

Timeline

yes because he has to make 125% over the poverty level, for 2 people it is over 18 thousand a year

I am sorry, I don't understand 125% above poverty level. How much everyone in the household should have?

Happy New Year!

Timeline

If someone could lay out dummy figures here, that would be appreciated. I'm a visual, technical and artistic person. I hate math, I always did....but this time I need to understand.

Thanks a lot for any input.

Happy New Year!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

If someone could lay out dummy figures here, that would be appreciated. I'm a visual, technical and artistic person. I hate math, I always did....but this time I need to understand.

Thanks a lot for any input.

you can go to the uscis website and download the i864P it's the guide for the poverty guideline. the petioner has to guarentee the US government that the benificiary won't be a public charge, the petitioner must meet a minimum required. if he or she doesn't then they can use a joint sponsor

www.uscis.gov/forms

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If for two people anually it is $18,000 then $2,100+$800(which it is reduced to)=$2,900 a month, that would equal $34,800 a year, that would make them well over the 125% proverty level. So if thats the case from what I am understanding, a cosponsor would not be needed. Correct me if I am wrong.

you can go to the uscis website and download the i864P it's the guide for the poverty guideline. the petioner has to guarentee the US government that the benificiary won't be a public charge, the petitioner must meet a minimum required. if he or she doesn't then they can use a joint sponsor

www.uscis.gov/forms

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If for two people anually it is $18,000 then $2,100+$800(which it is reduced to)=$2,900 a month, that would equal $34,800 a year, that would make them well over the 125% proverty level. So if thats the case from what I am understanding, a cosponsor would not be needed. Correct me if I am wrong.

www.uscis.gov/forms

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Really? Seems like he has something like $3000 per month right now. That is far above the 125% level of $18,000 per year.

The OP can correct me if I am wrong but I believe she is speaking of MONTHLY income. I have never heard of anyone having a pension of $800 per YEAR and SSDI of $2100 per YEAR. Those would be monthly figures I believe. Both are considered income for the affidavit.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Really? Seems like he has something like $3000 per month right now. That is far above the 125% level of $18,000 per year.

The OP can correct me if I am wrong but I believe she is speaking of MONTHLY income. I have never heard of anyone having a pension of $800 per YEAR and SSDI of $2100 per YEAR. Those would be monthly figures I believe. Both are considered income for the affidavit.

Yes, Gary you are right. I am talking about MONTHLY income. Talking in yearly basis and in dollars doesn't make sense to me because I think in pesos (if you know what I mean). Are we ok with the affidavit of support?

Happy New Year!

Timeline

I just thought we'll have a problem because what will happen when i go there, is meeting the both ends. His pension ($800) can't totally cover his mortgage ($1200). That's tough so I thought it will be a problem. Thank you! I'm relieved.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Timeline

Thank you so much! I can breathe now. :D

Happy New Year!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.