DaveE

New BATFE ruling for medical marijuana users

12 posts in this topic

Ruling here

BATFE has just ruled that medical marijuana users cannot purchase firearms, even if their state has legalized it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I think thats good. Any person who is under "medication" that can distort their sense of thinking right should not have the right to own a gun or anything like that.

:whistle:

09/12/2011 Got medical done

09/15/2011 Went back to doctor to get PPD read

09/15/2011 Sent package via express USPS at 5:30 pm

09/16/2011 Email confirmation of delivery to lockbox in Chicago

09/20/2011 Email/text from USCIS

09/20/2011 Cashier's check cashed!!

09/21/2011 Touch (for what?, I don't know)

09/27/2011 2 NOA1 in mail! Dated: September 20, 2011 (I485 & I765)

10/03/2011 Biometrics letter in the mail. Dated 9/28. Appt. for 10/26.

10/04/2011 Biometrics walk in- Successful!!!!!! 

11/09/2011 Text/Email stating EAD card is in production 

11/15/2011 EAD Update

11/16/2011 Approval of EAD sent by mail

11/18/2011 EAD in hand

11/21/1011 Applied for SSN

11/26/2011 Social Security Card in the mail!

--/--/2011 Interview

02/16/2012 Date when P.R. began

12/22/2016 Mailed N400 forms Dallas Texas

12/30/2016 USCIS received N400 application (Texas Lockbox)

01/09/2017 Credit Card charged $680

01/11/2017 Notice date

01/15/2017 Notice date for biometrics appt

01/31/2017 Biometrics appointment at West Palm Beach ASC

02/03/2017 Notification (online) - Application in interview process

07/25/2017 Text notification that my case was updated. Interview scheduled! Waiting for letter with interview date. 
07/31/2017 Letter received in the mail! Interview date: August 31, 2017. Notice date: July 26, 2017

08/31/2017 Interview - Approved - Oath letter given to me same day

09/07/2017 Oath Ceremony! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ruling here

BATFE has just ruled that medical marijuana users cannot purchase firearms, even if their state has legalized it.

Not surprising. BATFE is a federal agency that administers federal laws. Federal law gives NO legal use for marijuana, not even for medical purposes. Under federal law it is an illegal drug. Period. States do not actually have the "right" to make it legal. So far the US has not challenged medical marijuana laws as of yet and they have bigger fish to fry, but marijuana remains an illegal drug inder federal law and under federal law users of illegal drugs cannot own firearms.

I have no problem with this ruling and I am a firearms owner, collector, shooter, handloader and carry a concealed handgun everywhere. It is entirely logical and predictable given current FEDERAL law.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

So I take it this only applies to people that present their medical marijuana card as 1 of their primary IDs?

There is a question on form 4473, filled out at every firearms purchase, which asks if you "use illegal drugs" If you use medical marijuana the answer should be "yes" since marijuana is illegal under federal law, and you are disqualified and the sale cannot go through. If you answer "no" you have committed fraud in obtaining a fireamr which is a serious federal offense,

So it would apply to anyone that buys a gun and is subsequently found to have falsified their answers.

Will people lie? YES. Will this cause some increase in crime? NO. Do I care? NO, not particularly, but I do agree that illegal drug users should not be able to buy guns. Should we change the question? NO.

I would much prefer to see marijuana simply made legal and treated like alcohol, but until then, BATFE is simply enforcing existing law.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

So I take it this only applies to people that present their medical marijuana card as 1 of their primary IDs?

If you answer yes, you don't get the firearm.

12e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

http://www.thundertek.net/documents/4473.pdf

Edited by Crusty Old Perv

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

If you answer yes, you don't get the firearm.

http://www.thunderte...uments/4473.pdf

They (the applicants) are going to twist the words around. "Are you an unlawful user of marijuana?" No. I do it lawfully (so they will check no).

They get a phone call or a letter in the mail then they will just play dumb. They aren't going to arrest them and charge them with "a serious federal offense". They will just take the gun license away.

Edited by Lord Infamous

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

They (the applicants) are going to twist the words around. "Are you an unlawful user of marijuana?" No. I do it lawfully (so they will check no).

They get a phone call or a letter in the mail then they will just play dumb. They aren't going to arrest them and charge them with "a serious federal offense". They will just take the gun license away.

It would be really nice if people knew what they were commenting about, but it is a free country and one can spew about aimlessly, it is actually listed as a right before owning a firearm. Go figure.

There is NO federal "gun license" for the private purchase and ownership of firearms. Good grief. So, nothing to take away. Who ever heard of the BATFE taking away someone's "gun license"? #######! "Hello, Mr. Weaver...can you please send us your license for sawed off shotguns? Thanks"

Read the question. "...user of a controlled substance" mean anything?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. If you use medical marijuana and answer "NO" to this question you have commited a federal offense and are subject to arrest and prosecution.

BATFE does not send letters or make phone calls. :lol: Ask David Koresh.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Only alcoholics should have guns?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

Only alcoholics should have guns?

Show of hands...how many people here can actually read? How many here have filled out a form 4473?

How many people commenting on the subject actually know the law as it exists?

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Show of hands...how many people here can actually read? How many here have filled out a form 4473?

How many people commenting on the subject actually know the law as it exists?

Me, I had an FFL for nine years. Lots of 4473s, lots of NICS checks. What I find interesting is the statement that if they merely have the card, you can draw the inference that they are a user and deny the purchase.

So, if they open their wallet to get ID for the purchase and the store owner notices a Medical Marijuana card, they are denied.

Interesting also, is that for years, FFL's begged BATFE to define their position on this. Now they publish an Open Letter. Methinks it will become a checklist item for FFL inspection.