TeapotGirl

Unsure plans while on K-1 Process

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance can't stand waiting for my visa to be released. He's mailing the application this week everything looks okay, still just finishing things up.

He wants to spend Christmas and even months here in the Philippines until I get my fiancee visa, would that be okay? Does he need to be physically in the US to anticipate any mail or notification from USCIS?

We are planning to get married in San Francisco, CA, because I have relatives there that could help us get married, (my grandfather and uncle can lead the ceremony, he lives in Cleveland, OH), should we anticipate extra paperwork or a little problem if his residence and the wedding venue are on different States?

I still don't know If I will like it in the OH after marriage. I cannot work for 2 years and that's extremely boring for me. OH is very cold and I can't handle coldness and boredom at the same time. Can I move back to the Philippines after marriage and still waiting for adjustment of status?

Happy New Year!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

why can't your work for 2 years? after marriage.. is there not a form that allows you start work after marriage? i don't know the number.. since i am at work, and busy with other stuff :)

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

My financee can handle anything. She will do anything to be with me and start a life together... that includes boredom, financial status.. we have already discussed this. That being said, I am also concerned for her boredom. This will be a problem until she can get a license and be mobile but in the mean time I am offering her an opportunity to study for another career and build friendships with local people have also moved from the Philippines. You can't just go back to the Philippines after you are married not without approvals or AOS. I will let someone else comment on that but from a commitment standpoint... I would ask yourself are you really sure you want to live here and maybe you will live in Ohio. You've got to be ready to give all or you could run into some headwinds down the road. Tough it up. This is not an easy process. If you went back to the Philippines and missed out on your opportunities of growing and building relationships for 2 years, you would be missing out.

Just to confirm, you grandfather and uncle are 'licensed' (I don't think that's quite the right word though...) to perform marriages?

You can work as soon as you file AOS and you receive EAD. If you choose not to file for that, you can work as soon as you get your green card. It will be less than two years.

Yes, your finace can visit you in the Phillippines. Might be a good idea to ensure that someone is able to check his mail, depending on when he leaves. You want him to be able to respond, if you would happen to get an RFE. Make sure he's able to get all of his financial documents in order, too, for the I-134.

My fiance can't stand waiting for my visa to be released. He's mailing the application this week everything looks okay, still just finishing things up.

He wants to spend Christmas and even months here in the Philippines until I get my fiancee visa, would that be okay? Does he need to be physically in the US to anticipate any mail or notification from USCIS?

We are planning to get married in San Francisco, CA, because I have relatives there that could help us get married, (my grandfather and uncle can lead the ceremony, he lives in Cleveland, OH), should we anticipate extra paperwork or a little problem if his residence and the wedding venue are on different States?

I still don't know If I will like it in the OH after marriage. I cannot work for 2 years and that's extremely boring for me. OH is very cold and I can't handle coldness and boredom at the same time. Can I move back to the Philippines after marriage and still waiting for adjustment of status?

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Hi! just wanna ask why it took 2 yrs for you to work not unless you wont file for your AOS. just wanted to clear things to you once you are married you can file for your AOS and it wont take longer for you to get the working permit or EAD card maybe for the greencard it will take sometime but for the EAD pretty sure you will receive it right away . if you plan not to work for 2 yrs and stay at home for awhile theres lots of things you can do for you not to get bored at home one thing also you cannot go back to Philippines while your AOS is pending not unless you received your greencard nor you apply for an advance parole along with your I-485 and EAD .sis, pretty sure lots of things you can do here in US try to learn everything here driving, volunteering, cooking american dishes that makes your husband be happy for what you prepare on the table dont make yourself feel bored while waiting for your greencard or EAD and also try to learn how to take metro/bus going everywhere e.g mall or going to park where you can meet some filipinos while your husband is at work. when i was here first time i felt the same but i tried to fight every negative feelings i got

in the first place, i have chosen to be with him forever so try to work on things to make your marriage stays forever and happier Godbless.

Timeline

why can't your work for 2 years? after marriage.. is there not a form that allows you start work after marriage? i don't know the number.. since i am at work, and busy with other stuff :)

K-1 visa wont allow you to work, right?

Happy New Year!

Timeline

I am offering her an opportunity to study for another career and build friendships with local people have also moved from the Philippines.

yes you're right. Maybe Im just scared being in a new environment where people are mostly white. Really, K-1 lets me study? I'd love that. My fiance wants me to study but I am not sure if it's allowed.

Happy New Year!

sis for k1 visa you are not allowed to work but soon as you are married and file for AOS and be approve or soon as your EAD is approve you can start working you can study but it will cost you alot and it will cost the same as non resident not unlike if you have greencard everything will gives you benefit

Edited by randy and ana

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

K-1 visa wont allow you to work, right?

that is what i understand.. BUT once you get in US and get married.. you can apply for a work permit.. hope this helps

this is from : M-564 (August 2008) I Am a U.S. Citizen How Do I… Help My Fiancé(e) Become a U.S. Permanent Resident?

Can my fiancé(e) work in the United States while on a

fiancé(e) visa?

After admission, your fiancé(e) may immediately apply for permission to work by filing Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with the USCIS Service Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence. Any work authorization based on a nonimmigrant fiancé (e) visa would be valid for only 90 days after entry. However, your fiancé (e) would also be eligible to apply for an extended work authorization at the same time as he or she files for permanent residence. In this case, your fiancé(e) would file Form I-765 together with Form I-485 as soon as you marry.

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

Hi! just wanna ask why it took 2 yrs for you to work not unless you wont file for your AOS. just wanted to clear things to you once you are married you can file for your AOS and it wont take longer for you to get the working permit or EAD card maybe for the greencard it will take sometime but for the EAD pretty sure you will receive it right away . if you plan not to work for 2 yrs and stay at home for awhile theres lots of things you can do for you not to get bored at home one thing also you cannot go back to Philippines while your AOS is pending not unless you received your greencard nor you apply for an advance parole along with your I-485 and EAD .sis, pretty sure lots of things you can do here in US try to learn everything here driving, volunteering, cooking american dishes that makes your husband be happy for what you prepare on the table dont make yourself feel bored while waiting for your greencard or EAD and also try to learn how to take metro/bus going everywhere e.g mall or going to park where you can meet some filipinos while your husband is at work. when i was here first time i felt the same but i tried to fight every negative feelings i got

in the first place, i have chosen to be with him forever so try to work on things to make your marriage stays forever and happier Godbless.

Super! so as long as i am done with the papers I can work right away?

I don't have to work but I want to. Maybe I am just scared that I'll be the only raven haired there. My fiance said he rarely sees Asian, if he does, it's not Filipino. I am thinking of visiting my relatives in SanFo to beat the homesickness.

Thanks for the input. I am giving it a thought now.

Happy New Year!

Timeline

yes you're right. Maybe Im just scared being in a new environment where people are mostly white. Really, K-1 lets me study? I'd love that. My fiance wants me to study but I am not sure if it's allowed.

Don't be scared. If you picked the right fiancee who is supportive, treats you well and loves you... everything else will work out but if you make the decision to come here then do it with 100% commitment and you will be much better off years down the road. White people ?? Lol. I am a "white people".. and I would welcome you. Learn the culture, be sure to perfect your English first if you need it because with good English, the world is open to you. America is a wonderful country (with issues like anywhere else) but still the best place in the world. There are many people in this world that would give their right arm to be here. Like I said, your happiness will be determined by your choice of picking a supportive wonderful fiancee.. not by the cold weather or boredom. Good luck to you.

Timeline

that is what i understand.. BUT once you get in US and get married.. you can apply for a work permit.. hope this helps

this is from : M-564 (August 2008) I Am a U.S. Citizen How Do I… Help My Fiancé(e) Become a U.S. Permanent Resident?

Can my fiancé(e) work in the United States while on a

fiancé(e) visa?

After admission, your fiancé(e) may immediately apply for permission to work by filing Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with the USCIS Service Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence. Any work authorization based on a nonimmigrant fiancé (e) visa would be valid for only 90 days after entry. However, your fiancé (e) would also be eligible to apply for an extended work authorization at the same time as he or she files for permanent residence. In this case, your fiancé(e) would file Form I-765 together with Form I-485 as soon as you marry.

I will be very busy for the wedding, I am sure I don't want to work right after I set my feet in the US or even 2 weeks after marriage. I am thinking of like my 5th month there until I get my Green Card.

Happy New Year!

Timeline

Don't be scared. If you picked the right fiancee who is supportive, treats you well and loves you... everything else will work out but if you make the decision to come here then do it with 100% commitment and you will be much better off years down the road. White people ?? Lol. I am a "white people".. and I would welcome you. Learn the culture, be sure to perfect your English first if you need it because with good English, the world is open to you. America is a wonderful country (with issues like anywhere else) but still the best place in the world. There are many people in this world that would give their right arm to be here. Like I said, your happiness will be determined by your choice of picking a supportive wonderful fiancee.. not by the cold weather or boredom. Good luck to you.

We always "fight" about the AC when he was here so that's one. Maybe I am just scared but who knows it's different when I get there. I may like it and these fears will all be gone. I couldn't ask for any more loving, supportive and caring partner. He's a very wonderful man. Very. A lot of times I think that he doesn't deserve a "bulldog" like me. ha ha ha

Happy New Year!

just wanted to give you some advise prepare yourself if you really plan to get here and be with your fiance dont put yourself and your fiance be in trouble FYI k1 processing is very stressfull and costly from the start up to the time you file for AOS. after AOS you will be rested forawhile and wait after 2yrs for ROC so make up your mind and always pray and God wil guide you both which path is right for you to track Have a nice day

:D and have more patience too :D

Edited by randy and ana

Timeline

just wanted to give you some advise prepare yourself if you really plan to get here and be with your fiance dont put yourself and your fiance be in trouble FYI k1 processing is very stressfull and costly from the start up to the time you file for AOS. after AOS you will be rested forawhile and wait after 2yrs for ROC so make up your mind and always pray and God wil guide you both which path is right for you to track Have a nice day

:D and have more patience too :D

Oh yes I will. Thank you so much for sharing.

Happy New Year!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.