Mclovin

AOS K1 Help!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys! My POE was August 2, 2011..which means my I-94 is good until October 31, 2011. We are getting married on October 15th, 2011..then it takes a week to get the marriage certificate. Which brings us to around October 26th. We are going to send the AOS papers in that day but I have read if we don't get them in before the I-94 expires than I will be out of status!? Should we go get our marriage license and do a courthouse Wedding to ensure the papers are in before October 31st?

It says on the back of my I-94 that I am only allowed in the country until October 31st and to stay past that date without permission from Homeland Security is a violation of the law. So confused!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Stop freaking out the AOS does not have to be done before the I-94 expires.

You only have to be married with in the 90 days. You can send AOS in any time after that.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Hi guys! My POE was August 2, 2011..which means my I-94 is good until October 31, 2011. We are getting married on October 15th, 2011..then it takes a week to get the marriage certificate. Which brings us to around October 26th. We are going to send the AOS papers in that day but I have read if we don't get them in before the I-94 expires than I will be out of status!? Should we go get our marriage license and do a courthouse Wedding to ensure the papers are in before October 31st?

It says on the back of my I-94 that I am only allowed in the country until October 31st and to stay past that date without permission from Homeland Security is a violation of the law. So confused!

You have until October 31st--the expiry of the I-94--to get married. Once married you have completed the requirements of the K-1 Visa. You then file for AOS, but there is no real time limit to do so. Once the I-94 expires you are out of status if you have not yet filed the AOS. This means you can be detained and taken before a immigration judge who will tell you to file AOS ASAP. Once you file AOS, you can carry the I-797 form around as proof that you have filed and are in the US legally.

Why does it take a week to get the marriage certificate--oh I see you are taking about the original correct? I was able to get certified copies the day I submitted the original and used that to file the AOS. I did take the original to teh AOS interview and another copy. The IO looked at the original and kept another copy. I would see if you can get certified copies the day you submit the marriage license to the county clerk.

Good luck on the up coming wedding.

Dave

You have until October 31st--the expiry of the I-94--to get married. Once married you have completed the requirements of the K-1 Visa. You then file for AOS, but there is no real time limit to do so. Once the I-94 expires you are out of status if you have not yet filed the AOS. This means you can be detained and taken before a immigration judge who will tell you to file AOS ASAP. Once you file AOS, you can carry the I-797 form around as proof that you have filed and are in the US legally.

Why does it take a week to get the marriage certificate--oh I see you are taking about the original correct? I was able to get certified copies the day I submitted the original and used that to file the AOS. I did take the original to teh AOS interview and another copy. The IO looked at the original and kept another copy. I would see if you can get certified copies the day you submit the marriage license to the county clerk.

Good luck on the up coming wedding.

Dave

Arrested??? That at first I heard that. As long as you are married within 3 month, you are fine. While you do need to file for AOS the sooner the better, you are not really out of status. Since you complied with K-1 Visa Requirements

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Depending where you live you can get the marriage certificate right away. We got married on Saturday, took the form to the courthouse on Monday to register and got certified copies about an hour later. They weren't that busy, we asked nicely and explained it was for immigration purposes. You might call your local courthouse and ask first, if you have the time to register right away. We were in Cook County in Illinois.

Good Luck!

K1 Process:

NOA1 17 Sept 10

Touched 3 Oct 10

Placed Service Request 25 March 11

NOA2 4 April 11

Left NVC 15 April 11

Packet 3 letter dated 19 April 11

Packet 3 response sent 6 May 11

Interview 26 May 11

K1 received 1 June 11

Entered US 26 June 11

Married 6 August 11

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Arrested??? That at first I heard that. As long as you are married within 3 month, you are fine. While you do need to file for AOS the sooner the better, you are not really out of status. Since you complied with K-1 Visa Requirements

Yes, a K1 visa holder is out of status when the I-94 expires, even if they've married the K1 petitioner. Being out of status does not affect their eligibility to adjust status.

Being arrested is unlikely unless you like to tempt fate and journey close to the southern US border, or otherwise have an encounter with CBP or ICE. Being dragged in front of an immigration judge is even less likely. DHS policy is not to attempt to remove someone if they are clearly eligible to adjust status. About the most serious thing likely to happen is you'd be jerked around by ICE for a few hours, and then released with an admonishment to file the AOS.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.