janpaolo

Changing name in SSA

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi everyone, i need a piece of advice. I just got my SSN name changed recently and they let me use my maiden middle name as my middle name now after marriage. i am so confused. In the Phil. we always carry our maiden last name as our middle name after marriage, right? Example: Jessa Uy Lim marries Juan Delacruz so after marriage Jessa wanted to change her name into Jessa Lim Delacruz...Is this possible here in the US? Because in my case, the SSA did not allow me to carry my last name as my middle name after marriage. Instead they have me this ex: Jessa Uy Delacruz. Do you guys experienced the same issue as mine? Pls help..i need to settle everything before filing my AOS. I am not comfortable using my maiden middle name as my married middle name because I'm afraid when I sign papers/documents in the future esp in the Phil..I will become inconsistent with my records. I wanted to have Jessa Lim Delacruz as my married name..but how can I change this when my SS card now has Jessa Uy Delacruz printed on it. Where should I go? whom should I talk to? I called DMV and SSA to let me have the nae I want but they didn't allow me. Thank you guys

hi everyone, i need a piece of advice. I just got my SSN name changed recently and they let me use my maiden middle name as my middle name now after marriage. i am so confused. In the Phil. we always carry our maiden last name as our middle name after marriage, right? Example: Jessa Uy Lim marries Juan Delacruz so after marriage Jessa wanted to change her name into Jessa Lim Delacruz...Is this possible here in the US? Because in my case, the SSA did not allow me to carry my last name as my middle name after marriage. Instead they have me this ex: Jessa Uy Delacruz. Do you guys experienced the same issue as mine? Pls help..i need to settle everything before filing my AOS. I am not comfortable using my maiden middle name as my married middle name because I'm afraid when I sign papers/documents in the future esp in the Phil..I will become inconsistent with my records. I wanted to have Jessa Lim Delacruz as my married name..but how can I change this when my SS card now has Jessa Uy Delacruz printed on it. Where should I go? whom should I talk to? I called DMV and SSA to let me have the nae I want but they didn't allow me. Thank you guys

If you 'change' the name in the marriage cert, then you could change it at the SSA; but if you didn't, I think you would have to now go the court route (means extra $$)

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10127.html#3

If you don't want to go the court route, your next free chance would be when you become a citizen

Edited by Gosia & Tito

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only name that changes is the last name when married. If you want the rest changed it has to go to court. Or wait until you file citizenship and change it there.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

The only name that changes is the last name when married. If you want the rest changed it has to go to court. Or wait until you file citizenship and change it there.

thnx for the reply guys..but how about in your case? what do you guys have in your SS card? did you carry the maiden last name in your married name now? How did you do that? because however explanation i had to SSA and DMV they still didn't allow me..

Timeline

I go by my married name only. My maiden name is no longer used at all.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

In the US you can make it anyway you want it when you get married. Did you adjust status yet? What does your green card say? My wife did it the filipino way like you explained. Of course we got married in the PI, but it doesn't matter. It all depends on how you fill out the paperwork here.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Timeline

We were married three weeks ago. We went to the social security office today to find out the status of the ss card application made prior to the marriage. They told us we were going to get the card in 10 days. We then asked them if we could then show the marriage certificate as evidence of name change. The ss office stated that changing the last name must occur at immigration. We are so confused. This website states that as soon as the marriage certificate is in hand that we could bring it to the SS office to apply for a new card with the new last name. Can someone with experience with this help us?

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Changing a last name has nothing to do with immigration. The people your ending up with do not know the process.

Timeline

In the US you can make it anyway you want it when you get married. Did you adjust status yet? What does your green card say? My wife did it the filipino way like you explained. Of course we got married in the PI, but it doesn't matter. It all depends on how you fill out the paperwork here.

I have not file for AOS yet..I'm planning to have it next month...maybe you have not encounter this kind of issue because you were already married when your wife arrive here in the US..so she was carrying your last name...I still plan to file all my docs in the future with my married name ...my only concern this time is my middle name...How come they did not allow me to have my last name as my middle name..(like the filipno way)I just don't understand..thanks anyway..

Actually I have encountered this. My ex came on a k1 and she was filipina. When we went to the social security office we told them exactly how we wanted her name. Same with the AOS...you put it on there exactly how you want it on your green card.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Timeline

If you're here on a K-1 and your I-94 is more than about 2 1/2 months old (I forget the exact time limit), then you'll need to adjust status before SSA will change your name (they want to verify current immigration status, and an expired I-94 will not suffice). After AOS, your green card will have your new name (I assume you put the name you wanted on the marriage certificate and will put your new name on the AOS application). Then use your green card to change your name with SSA. My wife & I went round and round with SSA, and this was the only way SSA would change her name from maiden to married. Just makes sure to put the name you want on your AOS application and verify (at the interview) that the name will be used for your green card.

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

2010-03-02 I-129F Sent

2010-03-08 NOA1

2010-03-09 Check Cashed

2010-03-10 Case "touched"

2010-04-13 Case "touched"

2010-04-15 NOA2

2010-04-21 NVC Received

2010-06-01 K-1 Interview at US Embassy Manila

2010-06-08 Visa Issued

2010-07-08 POE: San Francisco, CA

2010-07-31 Married

2010-09-24 Sent AOS Package (I-185, I-765)

2010-09-27 AOS Package Received at Chicago Lockbox

2010-10-04 NOA (Notice of Receipt) date for I-485 & I-765

2010-10-07 Touch

2010-12-22 Biometrics

2010-12-22 I-485 Interview at Anchorage, AK

2010-12-27 2-yr Green Card Issued

2011-01-10 Green Card Received

2011-05-19 Vacation to Philippines

2011-07-02 Return from Philippines to US

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

We were married three weeks ago. We went to the social security office today to find out the status of the ss card application made prior to the marriage. They told us we were going to get the card in 10 days. We then asked them if we could then show the marriage certificate as evidence of name change. The ss office stated that changing the last name must occur at immigration. We are so confused. This website states that as soon as the marriage certificate is in hand that we could bring it to the SS office to apply for a new card with the new last name. Can someone with experience with this help us?

Went to apply for new card using married name. Seems as though some of our faithful public servants are sometimes just as confused as we are. We gave the application to a young guy. He did not question the application and just processed it it without difficulty. Today we received the new card with my loves new name. The moral of this story is "Never give up!!!!" One person almost made us stop, but we just said to ourselves, "why not?" If you run into a road block, try to find a way around it!!!

Edited by extremerecluse

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.