mrsalfayad

Alternate name spellings!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

Hello all!

I'm sure that for those of you whose names are spelled in non-Latin scripts, you've run into a problem with transliteration. And that's where I am now!

In the I-129F packet, I spelled my fiance's name the way I have always spelled it in Latin letters, and the way that makes the most sense. When he got his passport, the government decided to spell his name a different way in Latin letters.

On our DS-156 form, should I use the name that I wrote in the I-129F packet in the "alternate names used" space? But its not an alternate name, its just an alternate spelling. Or should I leave it blank so I don't confuse them too much?

To be more specific, on the passport they changed the letter "E" to an "A" in his first name, and they added "AL" at the beginning of his last name (which is very common in Arabic names).

Help would be appreciated! I want to finish the form TODAY! Thanks VJers!

K1 Fiance Visa Process
3/30/2011: I-129F sent
4/5/2011: NOA1 received from VSC
7/11/2011: consular services in Damascus suspended
8/3/2011: NOA2 received online via USCIS website
8/5/2011: NOA2 hard copy received
8/8/2011: transfer requests sent to Beirut, Ankara and Amman consulates
8/12/2011: NVC received case
8/21/2011: transfer request approved by Amman
8/23/2011: NVC approved case transfer, new case # assigned
8/25/2011: case mailed to consulate from NVC
9/4/2011: received by Amman consulate, Packet 3 received via email, interview scheduled
9/25/2011: INTERVIEW! Result: Request for further information
10/11/2011: Additional information sent
11/14/2011: Case placed into Mandatory Administrative Processing
3/20/2012: Embassy request for updated police certificate, civil record and medical exam
4/22/2012: Requested documents sent to Embassy
5/8/2012: VISA IN HAND!!!

Total time from petition to approval: 58 weeks
Total time in AP: 25 weeks

6/17/2012: POE @ JFK Airport
7/14/2012: Married in Rochester, NY (L)(L)

Adjustment of Status & Employment Authorization

9/24/2012: I-485 and I-765 sent, filed jointly

9/27/2012: NOA1 for I-485 and I-765 received from NBC

11/5/2012: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office

12/14/2012: I-765 Employment Authorization Received (11 weeks from petition to receipt)

7/29/2013: Welcome Letter / Green Card notification received without interview (10 months from NOA1)

Removal of Conditions

6/30/2015: I-751 sent to VSC

7/10/2015: NOA 1 for I-751

8/6/2015: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office
Thank God things moved along pretty well and I could stop keeping track of dates for a while...

N-400

2/13/2017: CITIZENSHIP CEREMONY

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would put the name as on the passport and list alternate spelling under alternate names used or just change how you spell it (simple).

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

Okay, but I can't change how I spelled it in the I-129F petition since that happened MONTHS ago. It won't be a problem that the petition and the K1 application have different spellings?

K1 Fiance Visa Process
3/30/2011: I-129F sent
4/5/2011: NOA1 received from VSC
7/11/2011: consular services in Damascus suspended
8/3/2011: NOA2 received online via USCIS website
8/5/2011: NOA2 hard copy received
8/8/2011: transfer requests sent to Beirut, Ankara and Amman consulates
8/12/2011: NVC received case
8/21/2011: transfer request approved by Amman
8/23/2011: NVC approved case transfer, new case # assigned
8/25/2011: case mailed to consulate from NVC
9/4/2011: received by Amman consulate, Packet 3 received via email, interview scheduled
9/25/2011: INTERVIEW! Result: Request for further information
10/11/2011: Additional information sent
11/14/2011: Case placed into Mandatory Administrative Processing
3/20/2012: Embassy request for updated police certificate, civil record and medical exam
4/22/2012: Requested documents sent to Embassy
5/8/2012: VISA IN HAND!!!

Total time from petition to approval: 58 weeks
Total time in AP: 25 weeks

6/17/2012: POE @ JFK Airport
7/14/2012: Married in Rochester, NY (L)(L)

Adjustment of Status & Employment Authorization

9/24/2012: I-485 and I-765 sent, filed jointly

9/27/2012: NOA1 for I-485 and I-765 received from NBC

11/5/2012: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office

12/14/2012: I-765 Employment Authorization Received (11 weeks from petition to receipt)

7/29/2013: Welcome Letter / Green Card notification received without interview (10 months from NOA1)

Removal of Conditions

6/30/2015: I-751 sent to VSC

7/10/2015: NOA 1 for I-751

8/6/2015: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office
Thank God things moved along pretty well and I could stop keeping track of dates for a while...

N-400

2/13/2017: CITIZENSHIP CEREMONY

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

It happens quite often. Here is what to do. There are petition forms and application forms. Petition forms are those filled by the petitioner in order to apply for an immigration benefit. Application forms are those filled by the applicant (the beneficiary) in order to apply for a visa. The application forms are from the State Departments and usually have names starting with DS-xxx. While name mismatches in petition forms and the applicant's passport is acceptable (Since a passport won't come into play before the application phase), the names must match in spelling between application forms and the passport. If they don't, the consulate will ask you to either re-fill out your forms or change your passport. Some consulates also require that names should match in birth certificate. Even if the embassy correspondence letters address your spouse, you still need to write the name on DS forms exactly as it appears on the passport. Don't worry about the name you put in the petition forms.

Hello all!

I'm sure that for those of you whose names are spelled in non-Latin scripts, you've run into a problem with transliteration. And that's where I am now!

In the I-129F packet, I spelled my fiance's name the way I have always spelled it in Latin letters, and the way that makes the most sense. When he got his passport, the government decided to spell his name a different way in Latin letters.

On our DS-156 form, should I use the name that I wrote in the I-129F packet in the "alternate names used" space? But its not an alternate name, its just an alternate spelling. Or should I leave it blank so I don't confuse them too much?

To be more specific, on the passport they changed the letter "E" to an "A" in his first name, and they added "AL" at the beginning of his last name (which is very common in Arabic names).

My first question would be: Did he get the passport after sending the 129F? If yes, in any forms subsequent to issuance, include the name in passport as alternate name. I wouldn't worry much about the 'AL', the CO in the embassy will know about this and would not give it a second look. If that is not the case, I'd think the names are closed enough that should not be a big of a deal. In either case, when you filled out the forms, you stated (in the form wording) that your answers where correct to the best of your knowledge, and it seems to be the case here; hardly an intent to misrepresent.

Alternate spelling is alternate name. Have similar issue with fiancee, Polish has several characters that are non-Latin, and not talking vowels with accents.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello all!

This is very common and very frustrating! My fiance's native language is Hindi written in the devanagari script and his passport has his first name spelled as "Kirpal" which he says is the correct spelling but every official in India seems to always spell it as "Kripal". Based on how his name is written in devanagari and what I know about Hindi transliteration, I can see why there is confusion.

I assume you filled out the portion on the I-129F that asks for your fiance's name in Arabic. Also, I agree with the other posters in that you must match your application forms with the name that is on the passport.

Kirpal literally has to write his name on a piece of paper and persuade government officials to spell his name like it is written on his passport otherwise they will automatically spell it the incorrect way! :bonk:

Good luck!

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.