HighlandScott

Why is this an RFE? (I-864)

10 posts in this topic

I'm pretty confused about why we received an RFE for "Marriage Certificate not an Original Copy" for our Affidavit of Support package...?

On Friday, I spoke with an NVC operator who advised that the I-864 had been reviewed and accepted, and that the RFE was for the missing DS-230/IV package (which has been sent for delivery to NVC on Monday).

Tonight, I recieved a checklist cover letter email with an RFE saying that the Marriage Certificate was not an original/certified copy. Now, I (the US citizen spouse) had sent some extra documents with the I-864 to explain why three different last names are reflected on my income documents, among them photocopies of SS cards, a photocopy of my divorce decree from prior marriage, and a photocopy of our marriage certificate.

The only thing I can think of is, because I included a copy of our marriage cert, that they wanted it to be an original? But I had only put it in there to clarify the succession of name changes. Between the operator telling me the I-864 was fine, and an RFE for a document that isn't required for this package... I'm not sure what to think? Any thoughts? Anyone else had similar?

It's gonna kill me to wait until Monday to figure this out!

-M

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Marriage certificate needs to be original not a copy.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi - you gots the 'junior jet boys' for adjudicators, and it shows.

Sorry for that.

Have the UsCitizen Spouse call into NVC on Monday, ask for/get a Supervisor

then

have the Supervisor request an 'eyeball review' of the casefile, on both sets of documentation, noting with said supervisor that

the adjudicator that sent out this request for more info -

got it wrong.

It's a reading problem, really - the Junior Jet Boy (or Girl) that reviewed yer case was clueless.

The Supervisor you talk to - please remember - he/she cannot do this review, but they CAN request the review.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Hi - you gots the 'junior jet boys' for adjudicators, and it shows.

Sorry for that.

Have the UsCitizen Spouse call into NVC on Monday, ask for/get a Supervisor

then

have the Supervisor request an 'eyeball review' of the casefile, on both sets of documentation, noting with said supervisor that

the adjudicator that sent out this request for more info -

got it wrong.

It's a reading problem, really - the Junior Jet Boy (or Girl) that reviewed yer case was clueless.

The Supervisor you talk to - please remember - he/she cannot do this review, but they CAN request the review.

Very helpful info Darnell- thank you for that :)

Timeline

any news ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Yes. Good news :) It was sorted out with no further action from us and our case is now closed at NVC.

What happened:

As I've said, the copy of marriage cert was sent in (purely as supporting evidence, not because it was required) as part of the I-864 package.

The NVC dealt with the I-864 and the RFE turned out to be related to the DS-230/IV application, which they had not even received at the time they sent the RFE (they got the DS-230 package the next day). So..... they considered the copy of marriage cert to be related to the DS-230 package, which does require an original marriage cert, and therefore wrote to us asking for an original. Why they didn't mention every other document that should be with a DS-230 is unclear, because at the time they had nothing. Anyway.... they received the complete DS-230 package soon afer (that had the original marriage cert in it) which eliminated the RFE. Thankfully the issue cause no extra delay.

:)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Yes. Good news :) It was sorted out with no further action from us and our case is now closed at NVC.

What happened:

As I've said, the copy of marriage cert was sent in (purely as supporting evidence, not because it was required) as part of the I-864 package.

The NVC dealt with the I-864 and the RFE turned out to be related to the DS-230/IV application, which they had not even received at the time they sent the RFE (they got the DS-230 package the next day). So..... they considered the copy of marriage cert to be related to the DS-230 package, which does require an original marriage cert, and therefore wrote to us asking for an original. Why they didn't mention every other document that should be with a DS-230 is unclear, because at the time they had nothing. Anyway.... they received the complete DS-230 package soon afer (that had the original marriage cert in it) which eliminated the RFE. Thankfully the issue cause no extra delay.

:)

Good for you. Thank you for sharing your experience and wish you and your family the best..... :dance:

Timeline

Yay !!! See, if'n ya follow any of the shortcuts here,

basically yer circumventing the 'standard' postal notification ####### at NVC - you may possibly not even have heard of it, ya?

It's kinda loopy - NVC sends out stuff to each party, asking for 'the next stage' of documents.

The shortcuts have us go so fast, NVC can't really keep up with it all, and 'going fast' at NVC triggers the 'check list letter' response email, often. About 1/4th of the NVC related questions here are about this one question (what the heck is this, I sent in the IV packet 5 days after the AOS packet, already !!!! )

Them triggers is fun, if'n y'all keep up with it.

I hate postal process, with a passion.

Someday, soonish? NVC will change up it's process for that checklist letter response email thingie.. Or at least I hope so ;)

Glad to hear it sorted itself out. Yay ! Double Yay !!!

Edited by Darnell

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.