bornamachine

Russian living in America....

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Short version: Can a permanent resident that has lived in the US marry a foreigner?

Long version;

Hello all, I have been living in the US since i was 9 on permanent resident from Russia, I am close to 24 now... I met a girl in Uganda and recently visited her after 7 month of getting to know each other, now I wish to marry her... I am expecting the worst but hoping for the best, since I am not a US citizen, and now regretting not getting one sooner as this may complicate things I presume.

Can someone please clear up the procedures I need to take to make this happen.... also, I will be applying for a US citizenship as soon as I get back to the US from my trip to Russia, I realized now that I love the US :)

Can someone knowledgeable please advice, thank you in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You have to be U.S citizen to file for her, I will advice you continue to gather your evidence now and you file right away after you obtain your citizenship.

Good luck with the journey

03/17/2011----->I-129F mailed to Lewisville TX

03/21/2011----->Package delivered, signed by CATES

03/25/2011----->NOA1 received via text &email @ 1:15am

(Case transfered to Vermont)

03/29/2011----->NOA1 hardcopy received dated 3/23/11

03/29/2011----->TOUCHED

07/05/2011-----> NOA2 received via text & email

07/07/2011-----> NOA2 hardcopy receive dated 7/05/11

07/18/2011----->Package left NVC for Nigeria

07/25/2011-----> NVC hardcopy case number received dated 07/08/11

10/14/2011-----> Interview date-------APPROVED!!!!!! :)

10/21/2011----->VISA IN HAND ....Doxology :)

01/14/2012----->Arrival via Chicago

01/28/2012----->Married

03/28/2012----->AOE/EAD/AP filed

04/04/2012----->NOA1 received

04/27/2012----->Biometrics appointment

Yes, you can marry a foreigner. You can petition her as your spouse if you remain a Permanent Resident, or you can petition her as a either a fiance or a spouse as a Citizen, depending on what she is. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

You can marry her and petition her as a permanent resident but it will take a few years to bring her over.

Or you can file for citizenship and then petition her either for a fiancee or spouse visa, which will be faster than petitioning as a permanent resident.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Short version: Can a permanent resident that has lived in the US marry a foreigner?

Long version;

Hello all, I have been living in the US since i was 9 on permanent resident from Russia, I am close to 24 now... I met a girl in Uganda and recently visited her after 7 month of getting to know each other, now I wish to marry her... I am expecting the worst but hoping for the best, since I am not a US citizen, and now regretting not getting one sooner as this may complicate things I presume.

Can someone please clear up the procedures I need to take to make this happen.... also, I will be applying for a US citizenship as soon as I get back to the US from my trip to Russia, I realized now that I love the US :)

Can someone knowledgeable please advice, thank you in advance.

Apply for citizenship then K1 fiancee visa, I think that's would be the fastest option (mind you, "fast" in this case means around a year. I too had to apply for citizenship first then the K1 visa and altogether took 1 year from the day I applied for citizenship till the day my fiance (now husband) came to the USA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.