dougyceci

Article on Immigration process

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Not sure where to post this but was reading yahoo and found this article. Thought it might be of interest to all you. Explains a little but still doesn't make things sound better.

Immigration agency says it's improving

By SUZANNE GAMBOA, Associated Press Writer Fri Sep 15, 6:48 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Federal officials say they are closing in on President Bush's goal of processing immigration applications faster, but that is largely because they no longer count many stalled applications as part of the backlog.

As of July 31 there was a backlog of about 139,000 applications from immigrants seeking everything from legal residency to work permits, Emilio Gonzalez, director of Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Homeland Security Department, said Friday.

However, the latest figure excludes nearly 1 million applications not completed because of circumstances the agency says are outside its control.

If all applications were counted, the July 31 total would be 1.12 million, down from 3.8 million in January 2004, the agency said.

"We're on track to get where we need to be, where we want to be, which is to have our work done in six months or less," Gonzalez said

The agency's count of 139,000 pending cases doesn't include applications from immigrants not yet granted visas to enter the U.S.; those awaiting green cards making them legal residents; and those with pending FBI background checks or with other problems, such as missing paperwork, said Mike Aytes, associate director for domestic operations.

Bush pledged in his first presidential campaign that all immigration applications would be adjudicated in six months. After the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the Bush administration said it would reach that goal by Oct. 1, 2006.

Immigration officials say they consider that target to be a national average, not a schedule that would be hit in every community. The president's goal remains to have a six-month turnaround time in all offices for every type of benefit, they say.

Of the 16 types of applications the immigration agency processes, Gonzalez said 14 are already being completed in less than six months without security suffering. The number of applications denied has increased in some categories because of stricter enforcement of standards, Aytes said.

The agency hired 1,800 temporary employees, the last of whose jobs expire by January. Gonzalez said he is hoping to keep some of them longer, paid for in part by a proposed increase in fees paid by people applying for immigration benefits.

Gonzalez would not say what fee increase he will propose. The fee to naturalize is now $330, and the fee for legal residency is $325. Applicants also pay a $70 fingerprinting fee.

I-130

2006 09 06 Mailed I-130

2006 09 07 Rec'd at CA Center

2006 09 13 I-130 NOA1 receipt date

2006 11 22 NOA2, approved

2007 02 15 Case complete at NVC

2007 02 21 Case forwarded to Bogota Embassy

2007 02 23 Case received at Embassy

2007 04 12 Interview,VISA GRANTED

I-751- Removing Conditions

2009 04 08 Overnight Application

2009 04 09 Rec'd Application at CSC

2009 04 17 Rec'd NOA

2009 05 10 Called CSC - No Biometrix letter, 45 day Inquiry starts

2009 05 18 Made Info Pass appointment for June 2

2009 05 26 Rec'd response and copy of Bio Appt letter dated May 14, Appt on May 28

2009 05 27 Biometrix-walked in a day early and completed appointment

2009 06 01 Approved Conditions Removed (rec'd Congratulations letter on June 9)

2009 06 12 Touched but nothing changed on USCIS website

Filed: Timeline
Not sure where to post this but was reading yahoo and found this article. Thought it might be of interest to all you. Explains a little but still doesn't make things sound better.

Immigration agency says it's improving

By SUZANNE GAMBOA, Associated Press Writer Fri Sep 15, 6:48 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Federal officials say they are closing in on President Bush's goal of processing immigration applications faster, but that is largely because they no longer count many stalled applications as part of the backlog.

I saw the same story and I guess things are improving if they don't count most petitions/application. Only in the government, if screws up our figures we just don't count it. LOL

I find it interesting that there is no mention of IMBRA as a cause of some of the backlog. Probably the people who wrote the article aren't even aware of this new law and the restrictions it puts on people's lives. Another case of the media not doing a thorough job.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The IMBRA thing seems to be clearing it's way through the system. Yes, there are still delays for some but it pales in comparison to those that have been waiting months & years for their AOS & Naturilization.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.