ImeeValerie

Social Security Number

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good day to all!

I am under a K1 visa and have entered the US almost 3 weeks ago. I am torn between other posts regarding the application of a Social Security Number.

Our wedding is planned to be in two weeks. And we're looking forward to applying for my SSN thereafter. However, I am not sure what surname should I use on my SS application after marriage, would it be my maiden name still or my new married surname? It's a bit confusing since some posts say that several SS offices do not accept K1 applicants after marriage, that married K1 applicants should wait for their Green Card to get an SSN. I am in great need of my SSN since my Nurses Licensure Exam will expire and be nulled in a month if I won't be able to supply them my SSN.

What's the best thing to be done? Should I apply for an SSN BEFORE or AFTER marriage?

How long does it usually take for the card to be delivered?

I am based in Florida right now, any comments regarding the offices here?

AOS

Sept. 08, 2011 - Packet Mailed through USPS

Sept 12, 2011 - Packet received by USCIS

Sept. 14, 2011 - Emails & Text Notifications received from USCIS

Sept. 20, 2011 - NOAs in mail received (both dated Sept. 13, 2011)

Oct. 12, 2011 - USCIS Notification: Case transferred to another office

Oct. 20, 2011 - Boimetrics Appointment Scheduled on Nov. 17, 2011

Nov. 17, 2011 - Biometrics

Nov. 18, 2011 - E-mail received: EAD Card in production

Nov. 28, 2011 - EAD Card received

Dec. 05, 2011 - E-mail received: GreenCard in production :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

to answer your Q#1 the best thing is to apply ssn before marriage (why? because as k1 holder you are eligible to have ssn. if you are married you are not k1 anymore but on adjusting status condition which means you are not eligible to apply ssn under k1)

you will use your name before marriage, get married then go back again to the ssn office and change your name using your marriage certificate..

i dont know how long you will get your ssn..but as far as i know from other people experience.. it doesnt take long time..

Timeline

Good day to all!

I am under a K1 visa and have entered the US almost 3 weeks ago. I am torn between other posts regarding the application of a Social Security Number.

Our wedding is planned to be in two weeks. And we're looking forward to applying for my SSN thereafter. However, I am not sure what surname should I use on my SS application after marriage, would it be my maiden name still or my new married surname? It's a bit confusing since some posts say that several SS offices do not accept K1 applicants after marriage, that married K1 applicants should wait for their Green Card to get an SSN. I am in great need of my SSN since my Nurses Licensure Exam will expire and be nulled in a month if I won't be able to supply them my SSN.

What's the best thing to be done? Should I apply for an SSN BEFORE or AFTER marriage?

How long does it usually take for the card to be delivered?

I am based in Florida right now, any comments regarding the offices here?

I would apply before getting married if you plan on taking your husband's last name.

If you apply after marriage and you want your card on your married name you won't be able to do that cause your immigration records is still on your maiden name.

Get SSN first usually take 1-2 weeks. I had mine within one week.

Just change your SSN last name after you get married and before your I-94 expired.

In all the world you'll never find a love as true as mine

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

it depends if you wanna use your husband's last name or keep yours...

i filed for SSN 2 days after we get married and i used my hubby's last name.

bring your passport with your I-94, marriage license <certified true copy>, if you have birth certificate with you might as well bring it..

"Life was always a matter of waiting for the right moment to act."-Paulo Coelho

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

it depends if you wanna use your husband's last name or keep yours...

i filed for SSN 2 days after we get married and i used my hubby's last name.

bring your passport with your I-94, marriage license <certified true copy>, if you have birth certificate with you might as well bring it..

some States not allow you to apply SSN after marriage on K1 visa.it has to wait till we got green card. maybe your state is different..i donk know..

some States not allow you to apply SSN after marriage on K1 visa.it has to wait till we got green card. maybe your state is different..i donk know..

Actually for a k-1 visa holder you can get your social security card any time before your I-94 expires even if you are married. It does not matter what state you live in you can get it before your I-94 expires. Just not all people who work at the social security office know all the rules.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

Thank you to all who replied! Means a lot to me. Greatly appreciate it!

AOS

Sept. 08, 2011 - Packet Mailed through USPS

Sept 12, 2011 - Packet received by USCIS

Sept. 14, 2011 - Emails & Text Notifications received from USCIS

Sept. 20, 2011 - NOAs in mail received (both dated Sept. 13, 2011)

Oct. 12, 2011 - USCIS Notification: Case transferred to another office

Oct. 20, 2011 - Boimetrics Appointment Scheduled on Nov. 17, 2011

Nov. 17, 2011 - Biometrics

Nov. 18, 2011 - E-mail received: EAD Card in production

Nov. 28, 2011 - EAD Card received

Dec. 05, 2011 - E-mail received: GreenCard in production :)

Actually for a k-1 visa holder you can get your social security card any time before your I-94 expires even if you are married. It does not matter what state you live in you can get it before your I-94 expires. Just not all people who work at the social security office know all the rules.

Actually, we tried to get a SSN after we were married, but before Vika's K-1 expired. If your I-94 is within two weeks of expiration, they will make you wait until your GC is approved, or until your Employment Authorization (EAD)is sent.

We used Vika's EAD, and she got a SSN, but the card said "for employment only" on it. This was a condition we had to have removed after her GC came. It works the same way if you get a SSN before you get married (and K-1 holders are entitled). You just go back and notify Social Security that you are married, and your name has changed. It may take a few extra days for them to find your married name and do all the checks.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.