Doug B

I-693 for AOS and Vaccinations

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hello again -- Fatima and I got married last week !!!

And now are tackling the AOS paperwork...

She did not get any vaccinations in the UK, so now we are dealing with the I-693. Fatima will be getting the vaccinations through her primary doctor she is getting established with here, but then we need a "Civil Surgeon" to sign the I-693.

A Civil Surgeon in Portland is charging $40 to sign it, which doesn't seem too bad (another doctor wanted to charge $212!!) but in addition to proof of the vaccinations, they are wanting proof of TB test, and of a blood test for syphillis! Were these done as part of the original visa medical exam?? In addition, they are wanting proof of the first medical exam, for which we don't have anything as the paperwork was sealed in an envelope and now is being held by USCIS, right?

Any comments, insights, advice welcome... !

Thanks,

Doug and Fatima

I believe the doctor who is asking the proof of her medical is not a designated surgeon by the USCIS.

You might want to check the link:

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

Edited by walls1010

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I believe the doctor who is asking the proof of her medical is not a designated surgeon by the USCIS.

You might want to check the link:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=271e6138f898d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=271e6138f898d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

You would be surprised how inexperienced civil surgeons are with K1 visas in US.

Usually civil surgeons are extremely inexperienced with K1 visa. Initially, they wanted the same from me. You just have to tell them all they need is to fill out vaccination record. The rest they do not need to sign off on.

Hello again -- Fatima and I got married last week !!!

Mazel tov!

She did not get any vaccinations in the UK, so now we are dealing with the I-693. Fatima will be getting the vaccinations through her primary doctor she is getting established with here, but then we need a "Civil Surgeon" to sign the I-693.

I did the same thing with my wife. It was much cheaper for her to get her vaccinations through my insurance than through the Civil Surgeon. Even so, the Civil Surgeon charged us $225 (Pleasanton, California).

A Civil Surgeon in Portland is charging $40 to sign it, which doesn't seem too bad (another doctor wanted to charge $212!!) but in addition to proof of the vaccinations, they are wanting proof of TB test, and of a blood test for syphillis! Were these done as part of the original visa medical exam?? In addition, they are wanting proof of the first medical exam, for which we don't have anything as the paperwork was sealed in an envelope and now is being held by USCIS, right?

The short answer is that you need an I-693 signed by a Civil Surgeon who is on the USCIS master list. You have to do whatever you have to do to get the CS to sign the document. My wife was also tested for TB and syphilis (she tested negative for both...smile), and the CS managed to get another $55 in lab work as a result of that.

Sit down with your wife's primary care physician and a list of the vaccinations/tests. Take a printed copy of the results of that test with you and ask the CS to accept them. The CS may want to do a physical his/herself. So be it. You need the signature, and you need the sealed copy. (Also, have the CS make a copy of the I-693 and keep it with you...they may want to see it at the interview.

As an aside, my wife tested negatively for chickenpox. (She's from Indonesia, and may have been exposed/vaccinated with a different strain there than we have in the U.S.) Our CS had to "waive" the requirement because we're working on a family and you don't do the chickenpox vaccine while you're dealing with pregnancy. We promised to do it as soon as we safely could.

No, it's not fair. But it's the system we have.

Care,

Bill

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Tb test and blood test are not required because they were a part of the original medical. CS doesn't need to see proof of that medical. All they need to do is transcribe vaccinations to I-693. If they are not willing to do that without all the extra unnecessary stuff, find another civil surgeon who will know what they are doing.

Edited by missicy

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.