Svadharma

I-864 after divorce and expiration of CR-1 visa

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I got divorced from my husband (who is from El Salvador) on June 22nd of this year. His visa (CR-1) expired a few days ago, on the 29th of July. He tells me that he is/was trying to get a work visa, but I suspect that he is lying. (This may be paranoia on my part because he has lied to me about SO many things during our relationship.) I have told him that I will not help with any information or documentation unless he tells me two things: 1. What kind of visa he is trying for (specific type); and 2. Who will have financial responsibility for him. He will not answer these questions.... which is I why I think he is still trying to remove the conditions from his visa. (He also just asked me to mail him pictures of the two of us together, making me suspicious.)

So, did my I-864 and hence my financial responsibility expire with his visa? Can he still remove the conditions and make me responsible for him even after his visa has expired?

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

He can remove conditions without you, and you are still bound by the terms of the I-864.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

He doesn't have a visa - he has a Greencard, and he can remove the conditions on his Greencard without you. He just needs to show he entered the marriage in good faith.

The I-864 will end when one of these thing happen:

One of you dies.

He becomes a citizen.

He works 40 quarters in the US.

He moves out of the US.

I am not sure why he says he is trying to get a work visa when all he needs to do is remove the conditions on his GC on his own. If you have proof of fraud on his part, you can contact ICE.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

When you say his "CR-1" do you mean he actually entered the US and got his GC or are you saying he got the Visa but didn't use it (i.e. didn't enter the US after it was approved)?

Sounds to me like he's trying to ROC as well. Yes you're still on hook for the I-864 an there's nothing you can do. And his GC may have expired (if that's what you're talking about) but he can file late (it's been done before without too much drama). If his VISA has expired (meaning he never activated it) then there's nothing he can do. He is able to ROC after divorce from you but still needs to prove he entered the marriage in good faith. Usually this is approved without too much drama as well. Unless you have PROOF he married you for the visa then they can do something, otherwise, you're on the hook for a while yet.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.