Obama 2012

Preventative health care services for women now covered by Health Care Bill

105 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Gotta love our government. Despite the fact whether you agree or disagree with what the mandate is requiring, the fact remains that we now have a new government body that doesn't need the consent of congress, the consent of the president, and most importantly it doesn' need the consent of the people to enact anything it deems necessary in regards to our health care.

No agency should have this type of power. Not the EPA, not the FCC, no the FDA, etc. The problem never is the organization themselves and their job to uphold regulations, but regulations should come from congress, should come by law. They should not come from a group that at the end of the day, answers to no one.

---------

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/08/01/free.birth.control/

(CNN) -- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced new guidelines in Washington Monday requiring health insurance plans beginning on or after August 1, 2012 to cover several women's preventive services, including birth control and voluntary sterilization.

According to HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius the decision is a part of the Affordable Care Act's move to stop problems before they start. "These historic guidelines are based on science and existing literature and will help ensure women get the preventive health benefits they need," she said in a news release.

In July, the Institute of Medicine issued the results of a scientific review of women's health needs and provided recommendations on specific preventive measures to help them. Today HHS approved those recommendations.

Besides contraceptive use, the list includes free screenings for conditions such as gestational diabetes and the human papillomavirus (HPV), as well as breastfeeding support and counseling on sexually transmitted diseases. The full list is available on the Department of Health and Human Services website.

The decision to offer free contraception was not supported by all. For example, groups like the Family Research Council claims the decision "undermines the conscience rights of many Americans" and Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, chairman of Committee on Pro-Life Activities with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops says "pregnancy is not a disease, and fertility is not a pathological condition to be suppressed by any means technically possible." They feel the decision forces people to participate who may have moral or religious convictions that oppose contraception use.

The Obama administration released an amendment to the prevention regulation that allows religious institutions offering health insurance to their employees the choice of whether or not to cover contraception services.

However, supporters say the service will help millions of women who struggle to afford prescription birth control. "Covering birth control without co-pays is one of the most important steps we can take to prevent unintended pregnancy and keep women and children healthy," said Dr. Vanessa Cullins, vice president for medical affairs at Planned Parenthood Federation of America when the IOM recommendations were released.

Supporters also say covering contraception helps the government save money up front. According to an analysis from the Guttmacher Institute, in 2006, of the 2 million publicly funded births, 51% resulted from unintended pregnancies, accounting for more than $11 billion in costs. The report found that this is a disproportionate burden on programs such as Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program, given that only 38% of all U.S. births result from unintended pregnancies.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Timeline

Nothing new here. All standard services covered by all of the health insurance plans my employer offers. Basic stuff for anyone that has made the transition into the 21st century. You should grab that paper bag, Paul, to get control over your hyperventilation issue. Oh, and do include that swastika next time you post something like this agin. You're slipping.

Timeline

Nothing new here. All standard services covered by all of the health insurance plans my employer offers. Basic stuff for anyone that has made the transition into the 21st century. You should grab that paper bag, Paul, to get control over your hyperventilation issue. Oh, and do include that swastika next time you post something like this agin. You're slipping.

Sheep for the slaughter.

There's a reason why that term exists when it comes to a people vs it's government.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Sheep for the slaughter.

There's a reason why that term exists when it comes to a people vs it's government.

As I said, this is BAU around here. It's not about people vs. government. Any smart and responsible employer offering healthcare plans to staff has included these coverages already. If you think that the Fortune 500 companies are 'sheep for the slaugther' then it would seem that you've got a whole host of other issues to deal with.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Timeline

As I said, this is BAU around here. It's not about people vs. government. Any smart and responsible employer offering healthcare plans to staff has included these coverages already. If you think that the Fortune 500 companies are 'sheep for the slaugther' then it would seem that you've got a whole host of other issues to deal with.

We're not talking about fortune 500 companies though, now are we?

People will scream "YEAH! That should be covered!"

but when the guy at the small business making $15/hr, who already pays $400 a month in premiums sees his premium go up to $440 a month next year, he's going to be asking "what the hell happened to my gas money to get to work?"

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

We're not talking about fortune 500 companies though, now are we?

People will scream "YEAH! That should be covered!"

but when the guy at the small business making $15/hr, who already pays $400 a month in premiums sees his premium go up to $440 a month next year, he's going to be asking "what the hell happened to my gas money to get to work?"

Yeah, because premiums haven't been going up in decades past. It only happens now that we have pure evil in the White House. :rolleyes:

As I said, grab that paper bag and manage that hyperventilation.

Timeline

Yeah, because premiums haven't been going up in decades past. It only happens now that we have pure evil in the White House. :rolleyes:

As I said, grab that paper bag and manage that hyperventilation.

On a nationwide level it's only effected when a law/mandate is 'deemed' nationwide.

Most premiums going up varied state to state by state laws before. Now you're fvcked everywhere.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic title has been edited to reflect the true nature of the article - and apparently the OP's concern - to remove the sensationalized hyperbole

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

nvm.

Edited by DJ Kyo

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

nvm.

Just to let you know, I saw the comment before you edited it. That was a wise decision.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Just to let you know, I saw the comment before you edited it. That was a wise decision.

a wise decision is for you to keep your personal bias out of your moderation, which you lack the ability to do.

Edited by DJ Kyo

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!