Danno

Screw Bible camp.... send your kid to Atheist camp

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If diversity of race and thought is not your thing.... this camp might be perfect for your kid.

DON’T WANT TO SEND YOUR CHILD TO BIBLE CAMP? THIS ATHEIST SUMMER CAMP CLAIMS IT‘S ’BEYOND BELIEF’

During the summer, many churches run Bible camps and daytime activities for children and families, alike. But, where do devout atheists, agnostics and other “freethinkers” send their children during the hot, summer months? The answer may surprise you.

Camp Quest, according to its web site, is a residential summer camp designed for the children of “Atheists, Freethinkers, Humanists, Brights, or whatever other terms might be applied to those who hold to a naturalistic, not supernatural world view.” Below, watch a rough copy of a camp PSA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mSZo874BiFQ

Like other sleep-away camps, kids participate in arts and crafts, archery, sports and the like, but Camp Quest is built upon one shared characteristic: Children who attend do not embrace or rely upon a higher power. Much like the kids who attend Bible camps, children who attend Camp Quest do so at the discretion of their parents or guardians.

tshirts-250x200.jpg

While at the camp, these young people engage in a variety of programs. There are informational lectures on world religions and sessions about famous atheists and “freethinkers.” Other activities include atheist swimming, atheist nature hikes and, of course, atheist stargazing.

According to an official explanation on the camp’s web site, its purpose is to improve “the human condition through rational inquiry, critical and creative thinking, scientific method, self-respect, ethics, competency, democracy, free speech, and the separation of religion and government.” Thus, it is a breeding ground for some of the elements that drive non-believing minds. One of its goals is to ” demonstrate atheism and humanism as positive, family-friendly worldviews.”

The Washington Post provides a comprehensive summary of Camp Quest’s history:

The first Camp Quest opened in the Cincinnati area in 1996, founded by Edwin Kagin, a former Eagle Scout who was annoyed with the religious overtones in modern Boy Scouting. Camp Quest had about 20 campers. In 2002, it incorporated, launching a branch in Tennessee. A few years ago the organization hired its first paid employee. There are now 10 Camp Quests in North America and a few more in Europe.

The Post continues, providing some words from the campers themselves:

“I don’t have any freethinker friends at home,” says Jake Monsky, thoughtfully. He’s 11, with blond hair damp from spending his free time at the lake. At some of his friends’ houses, the families pray before dinner. Jake says he bows his head because he doesn’t want to be rude. He likes these friends a lot, but sometimes, he thinks that if he told his friends that he isn’t religious, “then they might not be my friends anymore.”…

“No man considers himself evil,” says Jacob Maxfield, who is 12. Even Hitler probably didn’t think he was evil, Jacob continues, though he definitely made very, very bad choices.

“I’m an atheist, personally,” Jacob says later. “But I don’t get angry at other people for believing in God. I respect them. But sometimes I rub them the wrong way.”

Below, watch a training video that is used to prepare staff for their role at the camp:

Camp Quest and its founder tend to use the word “freethinking” to define the nonreligious — a term that believers will likely find offensive. Some would argue that anyone, regardless of religious affiliation or the lack thereof, can be described as thinking freely for him or herself. Below, watch a 2009 BBC report that focuses upon one of England’s Camp Quest locations:

Some may view these camps as further evidence that Atheism is, in its own regard, a “religion.” The premise of these institutions is to educate children about the tenants of non-belief. The transfer of these elements, pending they can be exported in a particular format, mirrors the way in which a Bible camp would educate children on Christian principles.

Expect to see more Camp Quests pop up around the nation (and the world), as the company has grown substantially over the past 15 years.

Edited by Danno

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

The only organized camps my kids are going to go to are ...football camp, basketball camp, soccer camp, baseball camp, etc...

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I do not believe there is a God but I am not an atheist. Atheism is, IMO, a religion also. I do not even give it that much thought. I am non-religious and would no more send my kids to this camp as one teaching them about God.

I also think that atheists try to prevent other people from practicing their religion and I do not like that, I think people should choose their own beliefs and keep them to themselves.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I do not believe there is a God but I am not an atheist. Atheism is, IMO, a religion also. I do not even give it that much thought. I am non-religious and would no more send my kids to this camp as one teaching them about God.

I also think that atheists try to prevent other people from practicing their religion and I do not like that, I think people should choose their own beliefs and keep them to themselves.

Atheism is not a religion. Atheists are not trying to prevent other people from talking to their invisible imaginary friends.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Atheism is not a religion. Atheists are not trying to prevent other people from talking to their invisible imaginary friends.

And what?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

There is a very thick Great Wall of Bias deeply rooted and embedded in the minds of religious adults everywhere. It is something they have heard of and lived by and been told from their great grandparents down to their parents since they were in diapers.

What house doesn't have a bible in it?

Basically it is something that they cannot fathom or grasp. They start to feel guilty at the sheer thought of no Creator (OMG - I am thinking this and I might go to hell - quick - believe again)!

Take a 10 year old boy that finds out there is no Santa Claus - and doesn't want to believe it - and multiply that by 1,000,000....That is about the size of The Great Wall of Hypnosis/Bias/Brainwash that exists in religious people.

It really takes some logical reasoning and some true bravery to think out of the box that we've been living in 99% of our lives.

You have to dig very very very deep to overcome this guilt and take the great leap of faith to escape the heavily brainwashed mind of a religious person.

God = Something that made sense thousands of years ago when there was no sanitation, toilet paper, showers, towels, beds, electricity, grocery store, tooth brush, etc.

The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church. — Ferdinand Magellan

All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Timeline

I'm indifferent to the belief that there is a God and indifferent to the belief that there isn't. I would never send my child to theist or atheist camp because in both there appears to be an unhealthy (IMO) preoccupation with theism; in the former case a supportive preoccupation and in the latter case the opposite kind.

I'd send my child to whatever kind of camp she's interested in. I am a big fan of leadership camps for adolescents. Younger than that, IDK.

Edited by \

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Personally, I would feel equally uncomfortable sending my kids to Bible camp or Aetheist camp.

I have no qualms in having intellectual conversations with 'free thinkers / Aetheists / Humanists / Religious / etc' and I don't want my children to have any fears in discussing these topics with these people as they come across them in their own lives. In fact, these conversations are what make life interesting!

The reason I would not feel comfortable sending my kids to either a Bible Camp or an Aetheist Camp is because both (most likely) teach a form of indoctrination. I would prefer, instead, that my children learn something much more valuable than indoctrination. I would prefer that they learn discernment.

Discernment is invaluable in life, it is what makes us able to communicate respectfully with others of differing opinion, because discernment is what provides the foundations of our own beliefs. Without discernment, there is only disrespect. When there is disrespect, I expect that my children will have the discernment to remove themselves from that conversation/situation...

Blessings,

BishopM

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

God does not believe in atheists.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"