May11

Hello :) US and Norway <3 Need some advice!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi, just want to introduce myself and my story.

I'm 21 and a full-time student. I met my boyfriend (21 years old too) when we were both 18 and we really can't wait to settle down. I live in the US and my boyfriend lives in Norway. Currently he got a job in Disney and I'm finishing my studies in nursing. We plan to wait till I'm done with school so at least one of us has a career so we can have a good life. It's really hard to wait, but we have managed well so far. But.. I really want to get married right now, but as a college student I don't the income for the dreaded i-134. I decided to join VJ for the support and amazing advice I've seen here, sometimes I feel like I'm alone in this but obviously I'm not :) I love my boyfriend very much and he loves me. It's worth the struggle.

What are your opinions? Are we doing the right thing waiting till I'm done with my studies, or is there anything I can do to bring him here sooner? The only thing stopping us is the fact that I don't have the income for the financial support paper. I could move to Norway and live with him, but I can't drop my studies and leave, I've worked too hard for my education. Also I can't leave my family behind ( an only child). Any advice would be appreciated. I know we're both really young and if we have to wait a little longer that's ok.. but living together right now would be amazing.

May

Filed: Country: Norway
Timeline

What about a co-sponsor?

Thank you for the quick reply :)

I've thought of that, but I actually don't think my parents make enough. My father is actually trying to bring my half-sister from his first marriage, so I know if I add my boyfriend as another dependent on him that might jeopardize the process for my sister. Does a co-sponsor have to be a close relative? And wouldn't it hurt my chances that I don't have a job, even if I have a co-sponsor?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you for the quick reply :)

I've thought of that, but I actually don't think my parents make enough. My father is actually trying to bring my half-sister from his first marriage, so I know if I add my boyfriend as another dependent on him that might jeopardize the process for my sister. Does a co-sponsor have to be a close relative? And wouldn't it hurt my chances that I don't have a job, even if I have a co-sponsor?

a co sponsor doesn't have to be a parent it could be anyone that is a USC or Green card holder. As for the wait I would wait until you are financially stable then apply for him to come over here. I know the wait is long but the longer you wait the better future yall will have.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi, just want to introduce myself and my story.

I'm 21 and a full-time student. I met my boyfriend (21 years old too) when we were both 18 and we really can't wait to settle down. I live in the US and my boyfriend lives in Norway. Currently he got a job in Disney and I'm finishing my studies in nursing. We plan to wait till I'm done with school so at least one of us has a career so we can have a good life. It's really hard to wait, but we have managed well so far. But.. I really want to get married right now, but as a college student I don't the income for the dreaded i-134. I decided to join VJ for the support and amazing advice I've seen here, sometimes I feel like I'm alone in this but obviously I'm not :) I love my boyfriend very much and he loves me. It's worth the struggle.

What are your opinions? Are we doing the right thing waiting till I'm done with my studies, or is there anything I can do to bring him here sooner? The only thing stopping us is the fact that I don't have the income for the financial support paper. I could move to Norway and live with him, but I can't drop my studies and leave, I've worked too hard for my education. Also I can't leave my family behind ( an only child). Any advice would be appreciated. I know we're both really young and if we have to wait a little longer that's ok.. but living together right now would be amazing.

May

Take your time.

Build yourself before you build a couple.

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline

Wishing you a smooth journey! I think anyone can be a co-sponsor. Good luck

event.png

12/28/2010 FILED I 129F

01/18/2011 NOA1

01/29/2011 touched

05/09/2011 RFE

06/07/2011 RFE reply

06/21/2011 NOA2

06/29/2011 NVC RECEIVED

07/05/2011 SENT TO CONSULATE

07/07/2011 RECEIVED IN OSLO

07/14/2001 packet 3 received

07/16/2011 packet 3 sent

08/04/2011 medical passed

08/10/2011 interview passed

08/22/2011 visa in hand

Hi May,

Finish the studies first, it's worth it. When it's The One, time (especially when it's just a few years) isn't going to change the things. And I'm sure you are already using all the things you can to spend time with him (chat, skype, videochat, holiday and visit each other etc).

Or of course if you end up finding a co-sponsor before, awesome.

There's also a thread for the Scandinavians + their fiance(e)s/spouses, http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/185-scandinavians/

USAn Suomalaisten Foorumi <-- online place for the Finnish in US

Blog

938 days to get K-3.

AOS approved on day 1304.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi.

We are a Norway-USA couple too, but we live in Norway. Since you mentioned you could move there I thought I should warn you about how it works here right now. (This doesn't apply if you have dual citizenship of course, or if you are going as a student.) He needs to earn about NOK 225k per year to sponsor you (no co-sponsor allowed, in 2007 this number was only NOK 80k), he needs to document he made this much from 2010. You can come to Norway and apply from here (and wait here) since you are American, but depending on where he lives (you file to the nearest police office) it takes about 3-10 months where you cannot work or have the free health service. Unless you have lived together officially for 2+ years you can only apply to come as a fiance (and marry within 6 months) or as a wife. It used to be easier, but they are fighting forced under aged marriages here right now and the rules are not fun for 21 year old students right now:( We chose Norway in 2007 because it was easier, but today we would have chosen the US.

I agree with others, spending some time to wrap up studies/find a job before filing is not a bad thing. You have to do it at some point anyways, and it's better to have stuff worked out so you can focus on each other when you finally are together:) Good luck:)

Kristine & Stephen :: Timeline
Aug 2004 - K came to the USA on a J-1 visa
Apr 2005 - Started dating and fell in love with S
Jul 2005 - School year over, back to Norway
Apr 2006 - 2 glorious weeks together
Sep 2006 - 2 glorious months together
Nov 2006 - Engaged:) Decided to immigrate to Norway in May'07
May 2007 - Lol, immigration to Norway is not easier than a K1!
08 Sep 2007 - K arrived USA on VWP
14 Sep 2007 - Married:=)
20 Sep 2007 - S moved to Norway
02 Oct 2007 - Spousal immigration turned in
26 Oct 2007 - Immigration approved!
03 Nov 2007 - Passport back
10 Nov 2007 - Norwegian SSN approved
26 Nov 2007 - S started Norwegian language classes

Sept 2008 - Temporary residence permit renewal.
Jan 2009 - Residence renewal granted.
Sept 2009 - Temporary residence permit renewal #2.
Oct 2009 - new law potentially screwing us.
May 2010 - Finally after much drama approved!
June 2010 - Passport back just a few weeks before our USA vacation!
Sept 2010 - Permanent residence permit application submitted
Feb 2011 - OMG approved! xD
March 2011 - Passport back.
March 2013 - Permanent residency renewal #1 complete.

Next step: March 2015 - Permanent residency renewal #2