Kiwi & Me

I-134 vs. I-864

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I'm leaving for New Zealand tomorrow, and though my I-129F petition has not yet been approved, I wanted to bring as many of the documents my fiancee (Kiwi) will require when applying for her K1 visa.

So...

First off, which affidavit of support do I use? I-864 or I-134? Does this vary by consulate? What are the differences?

Also, I read about the affidavit needing to be notarized, but I don't see any space specifically for this on the I-864 form. I don't have a copy of the I-134 in front of me to see if there's a space on that form.

I've printed out copies of my last 3 years income tax returns, and they're all below the poverty limit (mainly because I was a student), but I also have a letter from my current employer showing my salary as roughly 3 times the poverty limit. Can I expect any trouble here?

Any other advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

4/2005 Met Online

6/1/2005 Beginning of our relationship

8/17/2005 First phone call

12/26/2005 Finally met face-to-face in New Zealand

1/12/2006 Back home to the US. :(

6/2/2006 Kiwi arrives in Atlanta

6/28/2006 Kiwi leaves Atlanta :(

8/14/2006 I129F Completed and Sent

8/24/2006 NOA1 Issued

8/29/2006 -Touch-

9/4/2006 NOA1 Received

And so the waiting game continues...

I had to submit the I-134 for Manila. Have you checked the embassy website, a lot of times it will list what is required right there on the web site. Good luck

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm not sure if it's the same for all embassies but for Brasil K1 requires an I-134.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Most consulates require I-134, I checked the NZ consulate site and reviews here and don't see much.

You can prepare both and bring them both, they both use the same documentary evidence. The I-134 needs to be notarized.

Later on you will use the I-864 for AOS.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
Most consulates require I-134, I checked the NZ consulate site and reviews here and don't see much.

Me too. Was just hoping one of the Kiwis might see this and pass on the info.

You can prepare both and bring them both, they both use the same documentary evidence. The I-134 needs to be notarized.

That was pretty much my plan if I didn't see a more difinitive answer.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

4/2005 Met Online

8/24/2006 NOA1 Issued

8/29/2006 -Touch-

9/4/2006 NOA1 Received

Filed: Timeline

Kiwi & Me,

I-134.

If you don't have an approved petition yet, recognize that much of your other financial documentation (and maybe even the I-134 itself) may be stale, and will have to be updated, by the time the visa interview happens.

Yodrak

I'm leaving for New Zealand tomorrow, and though my I-129F petition has not yet been approved, I wanted to bring as many of the documents my fiancee (Kiwi) will require when applying for her K1 visa.

So...

First off, which affidavit of support do I use? I-864 or I-134? Does this vary by consulate? What are the differences?

Also, I read about the affidavit needing to be notarized, but I don't see any space specifically for this on the I-864 form. I don't have a copy of the I-134 in front of me to see if there's a space on that form.

I've printed out copies of my last 3 years income tax returns, and they're all below the poverty limit (mainly because I was a student), but I also have a letter from my current employer showing my salary as roughly 3 times the poverty limit. Can I expect any trouble here?

Any other advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kiwi & Me

I realise you have just petitioned using the I-129F, but had you looked into DCF (direct consular filing) for NZ? Especially as you are travelling there.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Just thought i'd add that the new I-864 does NOT need noterizing.

It was updated a few weeks ago and is slightly different in this respect.

Also the I-134 is usually for consulates - but check out their website (some use I-864)

I-864 is ALWAYS used for the AOS.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Kiwi & Me

I realise you have just petitioned using the I-129F, but had you looked into DCF (direct consular filing) for NZ? Especially as you are travelling there.

I was just gonna say.....

Unless they have a strong desire to stay apart and drag the immigration process out for as long as is possible.

If they like getting things done quickly and completely, DCF in New Zealand is the way.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
If you don't have an approved petition yet, recognize that much of your other financial documentation (and maybe even the I-134 itself) may be stale, and will have to be updated, by the time the visa interview happens.

Good point...still, it can't hurt to have some of those things there. Guess we'll see.

Thanks for the reply!

I'd heard that DCF was pretty quick. Unfortunately, we're not married yet. (In fact...the whole reason I'm going is to propose). So...unless there's a way to process an I-129F through DCF, I don't see how that would work.

Thanks for the idea, though. :thumbs:

4/2005 Met Online

8/24/2006 NOA1 Issued

8/29/2006 -Touch-

9/4/2006 NOA1 Received

Filed: Timeline

Kiwi & Me,

A short (very short) engagement is out of the question? You can always have the fancy ceremony later.

Yodrak

I'd heard that DCF was pretty quick. Unfortunately, we're not married yet. (In fact...the whole reason I'm going is to propose). So...unless there's a way to process an I-129F through DCF, I don't see how that would work.

Thanks for the idea, though.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good point...still, it can't hurt to have some of those things there. Guess we'll see.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the idea, though. :thumbs:

A New Zealand wedding would be nice.... I got married on an island!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
Kiwi & Me,

A short (very short) engagement is out of the question? You can always have the fancy ceremony later.

We'd talked about it, and felt that might be a little too rushed. I think Kiwi just wants to get married in Vegas by Elvis, with a more formal ceremony later.

4/2005 Met Online

8/24/2006 NOA1 Issued

8/29/2006 -Touch-

9/4/2006 NOA1 Received

staphros,

Name me an IV post that requires I-864 and will not accept I-134 for a K visa.

Yodrak

Also the I-134 is usually for consulates - but check out their website (some use I-864)

Just said that incase there is a embassy still using I-134.

I have only used UK embassy - but at the time I checked it USCIS was mentioning both.

However the UK embassy site said I-134.

Guess it is probably the norm now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.